C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st-4th shift skip touble code p0803?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
yfzmotox21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st-4th shift skip touble code p0803?

i have had the 1st 4th shift skip bypass plug in my car for about 2 months and got a check engine light today. It was p0803 for the 1st
4th shift skip. Why am I getting this light. The 1st 4th shift skip bypass is still working.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Pecanman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check Mark's Post on the second page as follows:

Another CAGS eliminator failure, this time with a fix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I put a skip shift eliminator in my new C6 in October. After two months' service, I got a check engine light a couple days ago.

After some of the posts I'd seen in the last two years on the list, I suspected the CAGS eliminator. I decided to try OnStar's remote diagnostics service, since you can't read codes in the DIC like on a C5 (@#&$*! - thanks for that bit of dealer market protection, GM!). Within about 20 seconds the operator reported the CEL was due to a powertrain code, and the code indicated a problem in the CAGS circuit.

So, I removed the CAGS eliminator and put the ohmmeter to it -- infinite resistance (open circuit) I plugged the original CAGS connectors back together, and the CEL cleared a few starts later.

I wanted to take the eliminator apart, but waited until I contacted the vendor to see whether they wanted it back. A to Mid-America Motorworks -- after a couple basic questions to establish that it really was a CAGS eliminator failure, I was told a new one would be one its way Monday, and I didn't have to return the first eliminator.

Here's what I found upon removing the RTV plug on the end of the eliminator: a poor quality solder joint on one end of the resistor, which simply came apart:

A bit of time, solder and RTV, and this unit is back together.

Just an "info" post that hopefully will be helpful to someone in the future.

Mark
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info, thanks for sharing...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:03 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plug your harness back together and use the "Smart Fuse technique".....besides the solder failure example, some of the harness devices burn out the resistor as they may be of toooooo low of resistance for the circuit plus being "insulated" inside the connector, they can't cool properly.

Get notified of new replies

To 1st-4th shift skip touble code p0803?

Quick Reply: 1st-4th shift skip touble code p0803?