C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slow 06 paddle shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 PM
overdue
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slow 06 paddle shift

Help....The first to second shift in S mode is so slow that the paddle needs to be punched by 4000 rpm to keep from hitting the rev limiter. It seems to shift OK in auto mode at lower rpms.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:12 PM
timafey
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a manual, but from what i have heard, you have to put your car in D and drive the hell out of it so the PCM learns the new aggressive setting, and then switch to manual pedal mode and leave in there once the computer learned the new setting it will keep all of your shifts firm and quick... Give it a try see if that works out.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM
Mark Ca
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I have experienced the same thing a couple of times. Will try driving it hard in 'D' mode and let you know if that works. Thanks
Old 01-31-2008, 05:47 PM
7T2Z28
Intermediate

Yeah, the paddle shifts on the 6L80 leave something to be desired. It's all the in calibration flash of the TEHCM. GM likes to screw with the software on the TCU rather than trust Bosch settings.

The one in our department shifts pretty good (when it's not broken), but that's only because we have the equipment to properly reflash the TEHCM.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
overdue
5th Gear

Default slow shift

Thank you for the input. We got our annual 3 inches of snow last night so it will be a few days before I can try it.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
aeronos
Pro

Thoughts:

- Put the car in "Competition Mode". I don't know why this works for me but it does. Stops the car from redlining. It's like telling the car to "stop thinking for me and let me drive".

- Get a tune. After my first tune, my shifts were quicker and smoother (noticeable improvement)

Hope that helps
Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Duke/Earl
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aeronos
Thoughts:

- Put the car in "Competition Mode". I don't know why this works for me but it does. Stops the car from redlining. It's like telling the car to "stop thinking for me and let me drive".
I drove one at Spring Mountain. The instructor said to put it in competition mode when using the paddle shifters. Basically instant shifting, in that mode.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Duke/Earl
I drove one at Spring Mountain. The instructor said to put it in competition mode when using the paddle shifters. Basically instant shifting, in that mode.
Not on my 2006 Z51, I need to hit the 1-2 paddle at about 5500 rpm in order for it to shift to second before hitting the limiter. Others have posted similar results. Competition mode does not seem to change the shifting on my car. Paddle downshifts from 3 to 2 also have a long delay if I'm not on the throttle.

In each case, the shift itself is pretty quick but the system takes a long time before actually starting the shift. Like it has to think about it first...

Paddle upshifts are quick once I get into second gear, and paddle downshifts are also quick if I'm not paddling down into 2 or 1.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 02-02-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:01 AM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

$99 A6 tune will make you wonder why you didn't do it sooner! Trans will act totally different.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:34 AM
Vetteoholic
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by overdue
Help....The first to second shift in S mode is so slow that the paddle needs to be punched by 4000 rpm to keep from hitting the rev limiter. It seems to shift OK in auto mode at lower rpms.
"HP TUNERS" can take care of the lag time from what I've heard.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:26 PM
spdnvet
Instructor

I had the same issues until I got a tune. There is no hesitation or lag time between each shift of the paddles once I got the tune.
Make sure you find someone that they know what they are doing. I'm sure that there are some individuals that charge a lot of money and do not know what they are doing.
Read up on the site- I found the person that tuned my car on this site.
His name is Chuck from COW.
He was in California last week for three days. He was busy tuning Vettes all day and night.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Hey man....THANKS!

Originally Posted by spdnvet
I had the same issues until I got a tune. There is no hesitation or lag time between each shift of the paddles once I got the tune.
Make sure you find someone that they know what they are doing. I'm sure that there are some individuals that charge a lot of money and do not know what they are doing.
Read up on the site- I found the person that tuned my car on this site.
His name is Chuck from COW.
He was in California last week for three days. He was busy tuning Vettes all day and night.
Hey man...THANKS! California was great! I've never seen soooo many A6 cars in one place!

For anyone that need a good A6 tune....Give me a buzz!
Chuck CoW
Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 AM
spdnvet
Instructor

get a tune and make sure it is someone that has the knowledge and undertanding.
I found ChuckCOW on this forum and he tuned my A6 a few weeks ago.
It made such a huge difference.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:32 AM
clydetrb
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
Hey man...THANKS! California was great! I've never seen soooo many A6 cars in one place!

For anyone that need a good A6 tune....Give me a buzz!
Chuck CoW
Any trips planned for south Texas? I have the same issues with my 08...

Get notified of new replies

To slow 06 paddle shift

Quick Reply: slow 06 paddle shift