C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New DEXRONŽ LS gear oil Cures Rear End Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevtech
That doesn't sound like what the fluid update will fix. Almost always the complaint is at very slow speeds, less then 5mph, and it feels like the diff. is binding up, car doesn't want to roll. You could have excessive backlash in the diff. for a clunk but if it is slow to find the gears, or is at the 3-4 shift point, it sounds like a trans. issue.
Thanks for the heads up... I will use the your terminology to explain the clunking. Perhaps this will better focus the tech. Notably this was the original diagnosis from the Chevy CAC center when I asked the question via email and their response. So I have been pursuing that path with a couple of dealerships. They all seem to knee jerk react to this as this TSB will correct the problem and the fluid change would be the answer even after they experience it.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:15 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
i would be worried if the clutch slips to much
That is a valid concern for us drag racers. I had a new rear built a while back and it was starting to peg leg on my burnouts....thought I needed a rebuild but tried changing from Royal Purple fluid my shop uses to factory fluid (old type) before I rebuilt it...and sure enough, the peg legging stopped. So you can have too slippery a fluid in there for sure.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:39 PM
2000WS6Vert
Instructor

I had this done last Saturday along with the axle nut TSB.

The car is quiet, what a difference! I had become accustomed to the the groaning and knocking on accel/decel. Now.....it's all gone. No more noises!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:54 PM
djgrelli
Racer

The dealership changed the fluid in my 05 three different times and the noise seemed to get worse each time. Took it in for the new TSB with the LS Dextron and it stopped almost immediately. It's been about three weeks now and so far so good. The car actually seems a little more quiet now. Yes, they had to order the fluid but it only took a day to come in.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 PM
als2052
Burning Brakes

After the fluid change I am noticing that from a complete stop, if you release the brake and let the car roll forward, it feels like it downshift on its own...???
Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W90 I changed to 3 months ago in my DD to solve the chatter problem is still keeping it quiet so I have no intention to change again to the new Dexron LS.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Greystone
Instructor

I had the differential chatter for quite a while on my 05 z51. I took it in to the dealer last November and had them change the fluid and additive, but it didn't help. I had to store the car for the winter, just took it out for the first time this spring and now the chatter is worse. In addition I now also have a sort of grinding sound when turning the wheel in either direction, at any speed. Is the steering issue related to the differential problem? I'd like to have a better idea what is going on before I take it to the dealer. Especially since my warranty has expired.....
Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
edv2122
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if I got the new lube when I took the car to be serviced for the clunking noise problem but it has not returned.

Yet
Old 04-16-2008, 11:14 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Greystone
I had the differential chatter for quite a while on my 05 z51. I took it in to the dealer last November and had them change the fluid and additive, but it didn't help. I had to store the car for the winter, just took it out for the first time this spring and now the chatter is worse. In addition I now also have a sort of grinding sound when turning the wheel in either direction, at any speed. Is the steering issue related to the differential problem? I'd like to have a better idea what is going on before I take it to the dealer. Especially since my warranty has expired.....
I've never experienced diff chatter in my 02 Z06 (been using aftermarket synthetics since my car had 800 miles on it) so I've never really experienced what many C6 owner's have complained about... until recently. My daily driver is an 06 CTS-V and though I'm not sure how similar the diff is in my CTS-V to the C6, I recently had an axle seal recall done on my CTS-V. As part of this change, the dealership replaced my AMSOIL diff fluid with GM fluid... and I suspect (but don't know) that they did not put in the GM additive. As soon as I turned out of the dealership parking lot I heard an awful grinding, squealing noise coming from the rear. Instantly suspected diff "chatter".

Shortly thereafter I changed my diff fluid back to the AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 I use in my Z06 (and as an oh by the way the diff fluid plug was completely loose). I did several figure 8's to work the new fluid into the diff and the noise went away... for a day or so, then returned. Although I've never needed AMSOIL Slip-Lock Differential Additive with the AMSOIL Severe Gear as this fluid comes with friction modifier already in it, I considered adding a bottle but didn't have one. So I drove my car for a few more days and the noise went away and has stayed away for about a month now. I suspect that it took longer than I expected to really work the AMSOIL fluid into the diff clutch packs.

In your case, it sounds like your diff fluid has drained out of the clutch packs over the winter. Two suggestions. One - go do a bunch of figure eights to see if you can work the fluid back into the clutch packs. If that doesn't work, consider replacing your fluid with the AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w90 and one bottle of the additive. This approach seems to work very well with quieting the C6 diff.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-16-2008, 11:41 PM
fast05
Navigator

Default New Rear Fluid

The new gear oil works fine for getting rid of the grabbing noise in the rear on turns. It is worse in the Z06 but In some cases it needs to be done twice. Followed by figure 8's in the parking lot to work in the new fluid. You should probably get use to doing it every 15,000 miles the same thing happens to the transfer case fluid in the awd S10 Blazer's and Bravada's. I posted the bulletin on my blog. http://corvettebible.wordpress.com/2...rential-fluid/
Old 04-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Jeff
Instructor

Cruise-In II Veteran

I had the new LS dif fluid installed about 2 months ago under warranty. The noise prior to the change out was so bad you could feel it when backing out of the garage. Afterwards the noise is gone. If the warranty was over I would change to AMSOil.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:45 PM
cmamich
Heel & Toe

Had the oil changed out today under warranty, sound is completely gone and shifts are noticably smoother ---- I guess the clunkyness was the diff.... I'm thrilled car drives completely different!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:44 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Had mine done yesterday. Fixed the chatter and clunk.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Just 4 2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My C5 has a clunk ,sounds like a u joint , wonder if this is the fix ?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:52 PM
nowheelie
Racer

While passing through the auto store I noticed

mobil1 LS75w90

...diff oil on the shelf. Has anyone had any experience with this >without< adding any gm ltd fluid?

As many have mentioned, finding 2qts of the gm ls oil is entertaining at best, and I could go with another (amsoil, mobil, royal) for the next longest while.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The dealer changed mine a few months ago and so far so good.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Not Paid 4
Instructor

Location: You must be young and stupid before you become old and wise... Canton Georgia

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Ouch... and people complain that AMSOIL is too expensive. At least $14 per quart is more reasonable. You'd think the dealership would need the rest of the case for other cars and give you the lower price.
Here Here

Get notified of new replies

To New DEXRONŽ LS gear oil Cures Rear End Noise?

Old 05-17-2008, 01:30 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Well pricing has changed for the GM Dexron LS.

My GM dealer now says it retails for $20.38/QT and my cost is $15.29/QT.
Since the additive no longer has to be purchased I guess its not too bad.

When chattering starts in my car I will give it a try.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
SnowyATX
Safety Car

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

My '08 built in Oct '07 started (@ 5K miles) the chatter/clunking on tight turns when leaving the parking garage when the diff we relatively cool. Doesn't do it when fully up to temp.

Last night I swapped the oil (forget going to the dealer for something so simple as they'll cause a bigger problem in the process). I "think" it solved the problem. Today I didn't hear the noise and we'll see if it is gone tomorrow as well.

As a side note, damn these C6 mufflers get in the way of the oil change. I like the C5 muffler positions better.

I ended up paying $17.32/qt for mine.

Last edited by SnowyATX; 05-28-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Dropped mine off this morning at 7 and they called me at 10:30 to say it was ready. It's nice and quite now. The real test will be tomorrow morning to see if it's completely gone.

Quick Reply: New DEXRONŽ LS gear oil Cures Rear End Noise?