C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
Don't you feel you guys feel the black box is a larger issue, given its data can be used against you. I could care less if they want to know where I am or who I'm talking to, they'll be bored stiff, but in the event of an accident I hate to think the black box could land me in jail or worse given the case precedence which at least in one case I am certain of. Murder conviction!

I do know of another case, where a guy I know, crashed his car drunk, OnStar did its job & when the police showed he was swiftly carted away to jail for DUI. In this case, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving idiot both as a person & for drinking & driving, but again its something to consider.

From a safety standpoint, I feel the OnStar system, offers life saving technology, & would not consider disabling it. The black box however, offers no benefit to the owner I am aware of. Unless your car is stolen & you want to know how fast the thief got going before he totaled your vehicle.
is that your license plate? just dawned on me that was a tag.....describing anyones problem? I'm surprised they let you put that word on there
Old 08-10-2013, 07:21 AM
Nova10sec
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So now everyone knows the truth. NSA captures every, every, single electronic I repeat every single electronic communication.
This has been in place for over 25 years. Snowden brought it to light for the masses.

If you "mess" with you black box, onstar, etc, our friendly law enforcement friends, would likely use that as evidence of intention to destroy or impede case evidence..

Technology is a wonderfully horrible thing.. Two sides, boils down to the use of it. Although we believe we are protected from unreasonable search, that protection assumes our govt abides by our constitutional rights. They don't, and when revealed, they justify the means with the end..

Remember HIPAA... Well now the feds are actively reviewing their employees specific medical and health data. Justification: since the govt is funded by taxes.. They have an obligation to ensure efficient health care, hence their means to justify the end. There is no approval requested or required by the govt to perform this snooping of a fed employee..

Last edited by Nova10sec; 08-10-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:13 AM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old thread- LOL all the people who said no one has time to monitor these things BUT now we find out the government has been all along! These are the very same arguments against people who own AR's.... people say "why would a citizen need that?" Maybe another 20 years from now they will find out just like this but in the case of guns and ownership it will be too late for all the naysayers!
The following users liked this post:
astaggs (02-19-2018)
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM
SeanMo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I know its a little off topic, but I feel like I am the only one that never had OnStar installed on an 07 corvette. I was shocked when I got in it at the dealer and didn't see the button.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleAstyle123
old thread- LOL all the people who said no one has time to monitor these things BUT now we find out the government has been all along! These are the very same arguments against people who own AR's.... people say "why would a citizen need that?" Maybe another 20 years from now they will find out just like this but in the case of guns and ownership it will be too late for all the naysayers!
They still don't have the time to monitor it. All they do is catch the metadata and look for specific individuals if some are highlighted through other means. NSA has a bunch of the fastest super computers in the world and they still can't cut through all of the data they collect without having some way to narrow it down. Even searching on a specific person and the people they contact can blossom into a huge search that can bog down a super computer. You have to be careful collecting too much data. When you get past a certain point it becomes almost useless.

Bill
Old 02-15-2014, 11:37 PM
kyhotrod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought my last new Chevy in 2000

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1586183737-post31.html
Old 02-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Not sure why that would bother you. First, it is initiated by you when you report your car stolen to OnStar and the police. If you don't report it then it won't happen. If you didn't initiate it the police wouldn't have any idea whether you had OnStar or not and would chose a more violent (bullet in the brain, wreck your car, puncture all 4 of your tires, etc) way to get you off the road. In any case it would be far better for you if they used OnStar Vs the other methods.

Bill
Old 10-07-2014, 07:57 PM
zzzhopperzzz
Heel & Toe

You'd better read this, it is 100% true..
Did you know that each "onstar" unit is identified via YOUR VIN number on YOUR car? Yep.. Do you realize "what" that means? I live in a small town, and am privy to some not-so-well known information.. Recently, I watched our local dispatcher track a suspect's vehicle by guess what? ONSTAR!! If they know the subject's name, then they can enter it and find all his registered vehicles via the tag registration.... If one has onstar, and he is in it, guess what? They have the same exact "tracking software" that the main onstar group has, FACT! I listened as the dispatcher told the patrol units exactly where the suspect's car was.. If my small town, of less than 4000 folks can do it, then any local PD can.. I immediately disconnected fuse 22 on my 2008 Silverado... Not sure which fuse does other models.. This is a true comment!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

OnStar communicates through the cellular network. Basically, it is a fancy cell phone identified by its phone number the phone pings off cell towers just like any other cell phone and that is how you can be tracked. Because it is a cell phone it more than likely has the E911 location system active as do all new phones and that can be used to locate you. Don't worry they aren't tracking you because they really don't give a damn where you are. If they are interested you should also turn off your hand held cell phone.

Bill
Old 02-14-2018, 06:19 AM
underrated
1st Gear

Originally Posted by robvuk
Paranoia of big brother runs deep here. With the MILLIONS of onstar systems and BILLIONS of cell phones in the world, not to mention the TRILLIONS of landlines that can all be easily tapped, who do you guys think has the time for all this monitoring? Yes it can be abused, but the abuser would just find another means to do his dirty deeds. If you aren't plotting murders or transporting drugs or involved in any other dubious activities, what's the problem? In the case of black box evidence being used against you, shouldn't you be held responsible for your actions? This is the problem with this world these days. Everybody wants to blame someone else for their stupidity. If you screw up, OWN UP!
I am going through this exact same procedure just now.

The Edward Snowden NSA leaks clearly show that the USA intelligence services are systematically monitoring not just your source and destination IP addressing, but also the payload itself. It is all very well saying 'why fear if you have nothing to hide?', but this is a null argument. We all have things to hide. This is the reason we don't snoop on our partners, invade the privacy of our children and we allow people to live individual lives.

The NSA monitors car-networks and data and has access to onSTAR telemetry data. The advanced onSTAR and Car-Net modern modules are trackable and do provide real-time data to the NSA. Is this because those companies are passing the data legally to the NSA? No. It is because the NSA is 'tapping' the data-networks of every provider in our beloved country. Why go to the extent of tapping GPS and other signals when you simply need to collect data at the ISP data-centres instead? I happen to work in this area of expertise and can confirm that is is far simpler to perform than you may think. In addition, the number of whistleblowers from the NSA is such that we now know our country is monitoring the internet internationally but also domestically. Like you, I believe in solving accidents and improving discovery of the cause of an accident, but I do not simultaneously agree with mass government surveillance of our individual lives. To avoid 'big brother'-like statehood we must make some sacrifices in the mean time until there is a better legal framework in place to monitor *only* the criminals or people suspected. At present the NSA is monitoring *every* US citizen passively. Your data is pooled and a simple search of your name, social security number or any unique information can be used to dig into your life, including - crazily - remotely access your cell phone and, as per our forum here, our Corvette monitoring systems. The internet makes this far easier to monitor. I understand it may seem daunting to someone who is not in the Network Security sector, but once the software is designed it is easy to search BigData and reveal individual profiles, such as where you drive to regularly, who you text, what you text. It is important to care about this, because what is accepted now as social norm may not be accepted in future; in the past homosexuality was frowned upon and illegal. What if something you enjoy now will be illegal in the future?

The media has suppressed the Snowden leaks very well; international and European media is far less sanitised. I strongly suggest you read the output findings of these and familiarise yourself:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/the-nsa-files
Old 10-07-2018, 01:44 AM
Ride On
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by G Alex
Thanks, I will attempt it this next weekend. I didnt want to set any codes or have any problems. I am not paranoid, just cautious
As someone who "has a career" in cybersecurity, you are not being paranoid; you can't even imagine what uses OnStar's paying partners will have for this data 10 years from now.
It's not OnStar you have to worry about, but Facebook and everybody else they sell the data to.
Protect yourself now or pay for it later, but above all why make yourself an easy target?

Quick Reply: Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?