C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:10 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui
This technology could certainly be abused. I wonder when the insurance co's will have access to onstar?
some companies have a system they put in your car now for a discount on your insurance. You download it in your computer and send it to them every X months. They see you driving habits.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:23 AM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now for the real question. Will disabling OnStar and/or the black box drop your ETs any????
Old 01-13-2008, 05:58 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by Buffy
(2) It could "prove" that you weren't speeding or whatever. In that case you might want to use it.
In our fine country, it is assumed that you werent doing anything wrong until someone proves you did...IE You are innocent until proven guilty.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:37 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

What's really ironic is that these questions are being asked over the internet. You DO have your cookies disabled, don't you?

I'm no expert, but I feel pretty certain that you should be a whole lot more concerned about internet hackers than On-Star and black boxes in your car.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

The black box and/or on-star don't bother me in the least. If I'm driving like an azz and something happens, I deserve everything I have coming to me. Conversely If someone else is driving like an azz and crashes into my family you can bet I want the information used to prove what happened.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

I didn't read the whole thread.. so this may be a repeat.. To disable on-star you just need to disconnect the antenna going to the box. Leave the other wires connected as data passes thru to other devices.. you won't throw any codes this way and you disable onstar..
Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
The black box and/or on-star don't bother me in the least. If I'm driving like an azz and something happens, I deserve everything I have coming to me. Conversely If someone else is driving like an azz and crashes into my family you can bet I want the information used to prove what happened.
Thank you!

It's nice to see someone with a practical attitude. To me, the issue is fair justice, not getting away with something.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Danny318
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://members.***.net/onstar/

http://www.openminds.net/onstar/
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
In our fine country, it is assumed that you werent doing anything wrong until someone proves you did...IE You are innocent until proven guilty.
While being innocent until proven guilty is how it is supposed to be sometimes it doesn't always work out that way. People can assume that you are wrong for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Heck, I was accused of causing a big civil disturbance in a restaurant in Utah. I had to get a letter from my commander in Korea saying that I was not near Utah on the day it happened. So I had to prove my innocence. They accused me because a "witness" gave them my name.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Mike Villareale
I have wanted to disable the "black box" since a saw a court case involving a college kid borrowing his father's vette w/ permission ending up in accident involving a fatality of another driver. The carnage of the scene was such the investigators concluded excessive speed was involved, subpeonaed the data on the "black box" revealing speeds in excess of 140mph immediately prior the accident. Charges were amended from wreckless driving to murder using the data stating the driver knowing acted in a manner resulting in a fatality. I'm not sure of the state or the final disposition of the case, but this clearly raises the concern of privacy issues vs right to know from the courts side.

Another case, in NC, a woman was charged w/ murder in a DUI case because she had a previous conviction. The state made the case that she knowingly operated a vehicle under the influence and considered it premeditated. That said, she was convicted of murder, & the case was made for premeditated murder, which in NC carries the death penality.

Someone may make the leap if you are knowingly operating a vehicle in such a manner that may result in fatality you could face the death penality depending on the state the offense occurs.

I'm not an attorney, so if their are attorneys on the forum, & forgive me for my lack proper legalise, but please chime in. I live in Va Beach which borders, NC, so I very clearly remeber the case of the DUI, but if she was convicted of murder because she knowingly operated avehicle in an unsafe manner, would that precedent easily apply to drivers operating vehicles at excessive speeds?
I agree that we don't want Onstar helping the po po to give us speeding tickets, track our whereabouts for adultery suits, or to deny warranty claims. But if someone drives like a jack *** and kills an inocent person, I have no sympathy for them.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I also reported a few real drunk drivers. Flame me all you want for being a rat but I got about three idiots off the road. And yes they were definitely drunk (waving across 3 lanes of traffic, aiming at high beams, driving ultra slow, etc.
Nobody's gonna flame you for that. That's a public service.

My wife's best friend (and mother of 2 little ones) was killed by a drunk driver going the wrong way on an interstate freeway. It wasn't his first time.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by John Shiels
some companies have a system they put in your car now for a discount on your insurance. You download it in your computer and send it to them every X months. They see you driving habits.
Well I damn sure don't want that in my C6
Old 01-13-2008, 03:44 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In one case here in Oregon last winter. A senior citizen had lost control of his 2004 suburban and went off the road down into a ravine. His air bag went off so OnStar received the air bag detonation and notified the local PD and EMT services. They did this even though the owner had not renewed his OnStar subscription. Because he was in a very remote mountainous area in the dead of winter, OnStar saved a life that snowy evening.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:21 AM
G Alex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see the good features of onstar but the abuse possibilites are always there. I use a cell phone but sprint cant shut my car down with a flick of a switch. I have a computer but yahoo cant monitor my speeds and see if I am racing my car. I am on camera walking around the city but the cameras cant monitor my car 24/7 or keep info on me. It is a concern for me but I can see where it isnt for some.

My car is MY CAR and I paid for it. I should have the ability to decide if I want to disable the onstar system. If another owner wants it, great, pay the service and do your thing but I dont think people should judge or flame others who do not want it or have different views of it.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:33 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by jschindler
Thank you!

It's nice to see someone with a practical attitude. To me, the issue is fair justice, not getting away with something.
and I think the reason that most people didnt see it from that point of view is that most people see themselves as the bad guy and not the victim due to a guilty consc.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:17 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by G Alex
I can see the good features of onstar but the abuse possibilites are always there. I use a cell phone but sprint cant shut my car down with a flick of a switch. I have a computer but yahoo cant monitor my speeds and see if I am racing my car. I am on camera walking around the city but the cameras cant monitor my car 24/7 or keep info on me. It is a concern for me but I can see where it isnt for some.

My car is MY CAR and I paid for it. I should have the ability to decide if I want to disable the onstar system. If another owner wants it, great, pay the service and do your thing but I dont think people should judge or flame others who do not want it or have different views of it.
Its easy, just pull the fuses for the onstar system and its dead.

Get notified of new replies

To Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?

Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjwong
Or is it? It might be dead for us to send, but what about receiving if the antenna is still connected?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by G Alex

WELL said!
Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwong
Not true. You also need to unplug the J1, J2, J3 and antenna connectors in the rear trunk area where the onstar module is located to fully disable onstar.

You can also disable that "black box" in the console area behind the ashtray, but you then lose the use of your air bags. Which to some may not be a bad trade off

Last edited by siffert; 01-14-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Totally disable onstar and tracking devices and black boxes ?