C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ash tray door becoming a real PIA ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM
C6VetteMan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ash tray door becoming a real PIA ....

Noticed many members mentioning this problem and seems to be a simple fix at the dealer. Went to my dealer this afternoon and their first response was the entire center consol had to be replaced !!! Seemed a little drastic to me, so I told them to research it a little more and get back to me. Your input is appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas !
Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats wrong with the door?
Old 12-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ash tray is available as a part and can be replaced; the center console has to come out to do it. Maybe that's what confused them. Note that the ash tray assembly does include the front panel, so there are different parts depending on if you have heated seats.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:34 PM
C6VetteMan
Racer

Originally Posted by Buffy
The ash tray is available as a part and can be replaced; the center console has to come out to do it. Maybe that's what confused them. Note that the ash tray assembly does include the front panel, so there are different parts depending on if you have heated seats.
Thanks. I have heated seats, never thought of that! Just what I needed. Have a Happy Holidays !!
Old 12-20-2007, 04:35 PM
C6VetteMan
Racer

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
whats wrong with the door?
Many of the 06's seemed to have a "lazy" door catch. It will open if you look at it wrong!!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:06 PM
HawaiiC6
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6VetteMan
Many of the 06's seemed to have a "lazy" door catch. It will open if you look at it wrong!!
Yup that is the situation, hit a bump and the door would open which was being caused by a very tight spring. I stretched the spring and now I have no problems and the door still functions.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed many members mentioning this problem and seems to be a simple fix at the dealer. Went to my dealer this afternoon and their first response was the entire center consol had to be replaced !!! Seemed a little drastic to me, so I told them to research it a little more and get back to me. Your input is appreciated. Thanks and Merry Christmas !
The door can be replaced by itself.

However, they probably want to be prepared just in case they scratch the center console and need to replace it.

How do I know? My dealer scratched mine while replacing the ashtray door and had to order a new center console and I had to go back for the install a week later... .
Old 12-20-2007, 07:12 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

2006 also and I have the exact same problem! Rev the motor and the friggen thing falls open! Drives me nuts!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:47 AM
jimcattani
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DSOMC6

2006 also and I have the exact same problem! Rev the motor and the friggen thing falls open! Drives me nuts!
Mine did the same. I am a nonsmoker so I just wanted it to stay shut. I took some heavy duty velco and stuck it to the inside lip of the door and where it comes in contact with the backplate. Seems to work for now-as long as you don't touch the door.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
jimcattani
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by HawaiiC6
Yup that is the situation, hit a bump and the door would open which was being caused by a very tight spring. I stretched the spring and now I have no problems and the door still functions.
Did you have to remove the door and/or dashpanel to get to the spring?

Get notified of new replies

To Ash tray door becoming a real PIA ....

Quick Reply: Ash tray door becoming a real PIA ....