C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterless Car wash

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Larry R
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would add one thng to 07-Z51's description of how to clean a car. Use a leaf blower to get the water off the car after the wash is done. The guy I had detail my '57 Chevy does this and it works well.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:51 AM
07 Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry R
I would add one thng to 07-Z51's description of how to clean a car. Use a leaf blower to get the water off the car after the wash is done. The guy I had detail my '57 Chevy does this and it works well.
This used to be part of my car drying routine. Must be careful because some leaf blowers will spew a little oil and get it on the paint. I have been known to use my shop vac to suck the water out of the taillights, body joints and side view mirrors. I even modified a shop vac nozzle (I lined the edge of the nozzle with a piece from a microfiber towel and taped it on with duct tape) so as not to scratch the paint if accidental contact is made. I am just a tad bit ****.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:29 PM
ZO6Gal
Drifting

Originally Posted by 07 Z51
This used to be part of my car drying routine. Must be careful because some leaf blowers will spew a little oil and get it on the paint. I have been known to use my shop vac to suck the water out of the taillights, body joints and side view mirrors. I even modified a shop vac nozzle (I lined the edge of the nozzle with a piece from a microfiber towel and taped it on with duct tape) so as not to scratch the paint if accidental contact is made. I am just a tad bit ****.

07 I see that Griot's has a Boar's brush to wash the exterior. What do you think about that? I know nothing about brushes but am interested as a result of your earlier post. Thanks for all the advice and input.

Robin
Old 12-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Waterless wash?

No way in hell. No time. No where. No place.

I use spray detailer on a car at show time to touch up and remove a finger print or whatever but that's it. After it's clean a California Duster is my friend.
Elmer
Old 12-09-2007, 07:54 PM
07 Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by rgcarmack14
07 I see that Griot's has a Boar's brush to wash the exterior. What do you think about that? I know nothing about brushes but am interested as a result of your earlier post. Thanks for all the advice and input.

Robin

When I go to office tomorrow, I will look at the catalog and let you know. I am sure it is a quality product, most of Griot's stuff is.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
SkeeterC6
Instructor

Default But there is no water!

Originally Posted by ROADKILL2007
Any recommended waterless car cleaners.
You could try ecotouch. It's about the same as some of
the other waterless car wash stuff. It works pretty well
also but be careful. If the car is really dirty, don't use it.
If it just has minor road grime, rain residue, dust, etc, then
ecotouch works great.

It's a totally different experience however so be ready with
glass cleaner, and extra stuff to get into those places that
water from the hose (under pressure) cleans. Have plenty
of microfiber towels on hand and don't rub too hard. Don't
throw the dirty towels into the wash either since they pick
up tons of dirt (your wife will have you sleeping out in the
garage after everything in the wash comes out brown ).
Rinse them out good, then put them in the wash.

I haven't used it on the JSB dream machine yet but it's great
on the Acura. Follow it up with some detail spray and you're
good to go. Oh yea, the Acura had about 50 Zaino coats on
it when the watering ban went into effect here in Georgia.
Hopefully, we'll start getting some good rain soon.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 PM
tlane62
Advanced

Default Waterless Cleaners

Hi!

Well - here is an opinion from the other side of the coin!

Since '93 I've used a product called "Dri-Wash" on all of my cars - especially the show vehicles! I used to be able to by this product locally at a Chevy dealer and it was about $45 per pint.
This product IS the most incredible thing that I have ever used! You DO use it on a dirty car (not reccomened if there is mud) and then wipe it off!
This product is really impressive on dark colors since after 3 coats (each app takes about 40 mins for the entire car and leaves no reidue!). I used it on a brand new Dark Cherry Caddy in a show room and it looked like the untouch side wasn't buffed out yet!

Well - that is my opinion - happy cleaning!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Z51Vetteman
Intermediate

I tried the leaf blower on my black 05 Z51 and it turned into a nightmare.. little teeny tiny waterspots arrived before I could get the towel on them.. I've since bought a california jelly blade and with some practice I'm lovin it!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 PM
TahoeDrvr
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07 Z51

In another life, I owned and operated a detail/modification shop which was traded for a law degree. I still clean my own cars as well as some cars for friends and family (it is my "therapy") and the third bay of my garage at home is set up like a detail bay. My $0.02 FWIW:

It is ok to use a "speed shine" product on a car to remove a smudge of fingerprints, a water spot, a little dust, a fresh bird dropping and the like from a clean car but do not use waterless car wash in place of a real car wash. If the car is that dirty, wash the car.

Brief overview of what I do/use when washing the car:

To Wash With:
Two buckets; one with just water, the other with soap and water. I use the water only bucket to rinse off the wash brush after it comes of the car, then it goes into the soap and water bucket before going back on the car. This takes all the crap out of the brush and does not introduce it into the bucket of soap and water that you are going to slather all over your car.

In/on the buckets: cross hatch grating (thank you Home Depot - it is the white plastic hatching used in recessed commercial flourescent light fixtures) suspended several inches over the bottom of the bucket so that the brush does not accidentally touch bottom, pick up some crap that already came off the brush and then makes its way into the soap and water bucket and potentially onto my car. This was not my idea - when I saw it in Griot's Garage, I copied it for myself. He used to sell the bucket for some elevated price (now much cheaper). My buckets are on casters - rolling buckets (I feel like the high school janitor)

The Brush: I have had it for 15+ years. It cost me $200.00. It is a hand laid, all natural hair brush. Very soft and durable - it has only ever been used on my babied cars (couple of Corvettes, a Supra, a couple of IASCA show cars I used to compete with). I have a synthetic
brush for the daily drivers that are almost as soft yet don't scratch the finish. It is on a broom handle so I can reach the tops of SUVs or the bottoms of sports cars without bending over. ( I am getting lazy).

The soap: Something very foamy, sudzy and made for cars. Don't waste money on $40.00 per gallon soap.

Hose and nozzle of your choice. I have some great nozzles (with foamy applicators if you wanted to do a bucketless wash - why bucketless is beyond me but you could if you wanted to). I have installed quick disconnects on all nozzles and hoses for speed. (Even have them on my sprinklers for the lawn, the wife loves it).

To Dry With:
Towels: Waffle Wave Microfibers and smaller microfibers (like the ones used for wax removal)
Jelly blade
Speed Shine

Additional accessories:
Cigar of your choice - I prefer either Padron Anniversarios or Bolivar (country of origin re: Bolivar not to be discussed here)
Throat lubricant - Coffee, beer, or bourbon. Your choice. My motto - it is 5 pm somewhere............

-----------------------------------

Wash from top to bottom, front to back and hose the car off the same way. This uses the benefits of the drip/wind rails engineered into the car for removing rain water.

I dry the car from top to bottom, front to back as well, doing only one section at a time. I take one pass with the big towel to remove almost all of the water (except for streaks), then I use the speed shine and the smaller towels for a streak free finish. The jelly blade I use on the windows (to save the towel). On my daily drivers, I use the jelly blade on the entire car before I take a pass with the towel - it has yet to scratch a car. Even knowing this, I have yet to use it on a black Corvette (I think that would be tempting fate).

I do use my car duster between drives on the vette because it has yet to see any inclement weather. Worst thing that happens is dust and fingerprints. Occassionally bird crap. Thankfully, there is speed shine............
This is exactly why I read this forum!
1. Great information
2. Recognizing that I'm not the only **** person out there who actually lights up a cigar and has a drink while washing my Vette!

Fantastic post, 07 Z51
Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 AM
rwarhol
Racer

Dont Even
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 AM
07 Z51
Pro

Originally Posted by Z51Vetteman
I tried the leaf blower on my black 05 Z51 and it turned into a nightmare.. little teeny tiny waterspots arrived before I could get the towel on them.. I've since bought a california jelly blade and with some practice I'm lovin it!
Those little water spots could be removed with a "speed shine" product. I have strayed from the leaf blower for reasons set forth in prior posts.

I picked up a new car wash toy - the Griot's "Water Wand". Part Number 50199. Great on the rims and the wheel wells. Like a mini powerwasher. Used it this past weekend and it blew all the brake dust off the rims of my wife's Mercedes.

My opinion about the OP inquiry remains the same - I still would not use waterless car wash. I would not try it in a box, I would not try it with a fox. Not with a mouse, not in my house...........
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Dgatto
Pro

Originally Posted by Gman57

Quick Reply: Waterless Car wash