C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC Message: Service Charging Sytem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 AM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default DIC Message: Service Charging Sytem

I took off in first gear and was developing speed when I felt the car loose power for a fraction of a second. I slammed 2nd gear and kept going normally through the gears without any difficulty.

I was not looking at the RPMs so I started to wonder if I might have hit the REV. LIMITER even though it did not feel as if I was getting too close to this point. Anyway, about 30 seconds later the DIC displayed the message: service the charging system. The message lasted about 5 seconds and disappeared without me resetting it. Then about one minute later the same thing happened and also lasted about 5 seconds. I then drove the car for about 40 miles without any message, but a couple on minutes before I pull into my driveway the same thing happened.

I read the manual which explains that it could be the charging system or any other electrical problem. I plan to to have the dealer check this potential problem later on this week which in itself scares me. Has anyone have this happen? Any opinions in what it could be?

Thanks

Last edited by Oli1313; 10-01-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:10 AM
Flooznie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at your battery voltage, this message will only come on when Voltage drops less than 12.0 volts. I had this problem on my Z06 too when I hit the rev limiter. There is a TSB out on these cars that bouncing the rev limiter does something to the alternator, like overspeeds it so it no longer charges your battery. My alternator failed after I hit the rev limiter and I had to replace it. Sure enough, it was while driving like an idiot, bouncing the rev limiter, and this started happening. Crank the car and open the hood. If the alternator is super loud and whiny now, that pretty much solves the problem. Don't worry, changing the alternator takes 5 mins. I know.

Paul
Old 10-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Oli1313
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for your help Flooznie. I took the car to the dealership and they concluded that it was the alternator. They had to order one since, according to the manager, they could not find one in AZ. Anyway, they will replace it as soon as it gets here.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Maalox
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by vidal1313
Thanks for your help Flooznie. I took the car to the dealership and they concluded that it was the alternator. They had to order one since, according to the manager, they could not find one in AZ. Anyway, they will replace it as soon as it gets here.
Just had my alternator replaced today. Took them two weeks to get one in as they were on "National Back order". Looks like the new alternator fixed the problem as I did not have any Service charging system messages on the way home.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:24 PM
HemiSport
Advanced

wont the u/d pulley relieve that prodlem. looks like to me that if you remove some power to the accesories alternator, compressor, etcc... will extend their life. i heard that they run above the needed revolution. With the u/d will free up some hp.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
xtacy187
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiSport
wont the u/d pulley relieve that prodlem. looks like to me that if you remove some power to the accesories alternator, compressor, etcc... will extend their life. i heard that they run above the needed revolution. With the u/d will free up some hp.
hahahaha... I do't think so ! With the u/d pulley, your alternator pulley is spinning at a lower speed, thus having a much harder time charging your battery.. That happened when I installed the first stage of my bolt-ons and cam..

I just recently installed a Meziere EWP (relayed to the battery) and a ported fast intake.. Unfortunately, the o/d alternator pulley didn't fit my alternator and due to the EWP robbing power out of the battery, my car needs charging all the time so I'm having it sit home for now until I find a solution for this problem..

I'd really appreciate it if someone could gimme an idea about how to solve this problem.. I've been looking for overdrive alternator pullies for the stock c6 alternator but couldn't find any.. I'm upgrading to a RedTop Optima battery soon but I want to have this charging issue resolved..

If you're an MN6, u shouldn't worry much about charging problems with the u/d pulley... I'm A4 though..

Get notified of new replies

To DIC Message: Service Charging Sytem

Quick Reply: DIC Message: Service Charging Sytem