C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine RPM problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:38 PM
beach chopper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine RPM problem

My 2007 with manual trans, has a problem. Normal idle rpm is 600-650, but, probably 50% of the time the rpm's will drop to only 400 for just an instant. This only happens when the cluth is pushed in. If I set with the clutch in and rev the engine, it will drop smoothly to the 600, every time. Soon as I let the clutch out and push it back in, it will drop to 400. Here's something really stange, when it hits 400 and I am maneuvering around a corner or into a parking space, I lose power steering for just an instant. It feels like someone grabs the wheel and tries to stop me from turning it! I dropped it off at Dimmitt in Clearwater, but I didn't get a good feeling they were going to be able to take care of it. Got the impression they thought it might be "normal" I had it in a couple of weeks ago and they replaced my steering gear. That was a separate issue. They still have not addressed the clutch shudder problem. I will deal with that later on.
Anyone else hear of my RPM problem??

Last edited by beach chopper; 08-14-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Opps
Old 08-14-2007, 03:55 PM
bht-kevin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean 600RPM and 400RPM? If you are at 4K RPM = 4000 RPM at idle, dont let the clutch out
Old 08-14-2007, 05:30 PM
racer02
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about "normal" but mine does the same thing. Really bothers me to feel the power steering go out for a second when trying to whip into a parking place or something.

I tried to adjust the idle, only to find out that the car doesn't appear to have any idle adjustment that I could find (nor could I find reference on how to adjust it by searching corvetteforum).

Never thought I would say "I miss the good ole' days when cars had throttle linkages and idle adjust screws". Oh well.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
drivinfast
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Steering TSB

I believe there is a steering TSB where one of the sides of the pressure hose needs to be replaced or something, I have been hesitant to bring it in but will have to someday.

RPM sounds like dealer or tuner fix, and is not normal
Old 08-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Viprklr
Melting Slicks

mine does this as well. It is worse in the morning and I notice that my rpms will bounce around for a bit. Once I get going for a few minutes then it does fine. When I turn on the air conditioner and am driving I experience the drop in rpms to 400 and get the momentary loss of steering when I depress the clutch when coming to a stop. I'm hoping it is a tuning issue because my car is modified. I guess I am not the only one out there with the problem. Hopefully others will chime in with a fix or explanation.

Matt
Old 08-15-2007, 11:52 AM
beach chopper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rpm

I just got the call from Dimmitt that it is normal for the RPM's to drop to 400, imagine that! About the loss of power steering: they never felt that, they went on to explain to me that those vettes got really wide tires and it may be that it just feels like I am losing the power steering. I am completly dissappointed in the American car makers. I knew a lot of their models were crap, but I thought they would continue to build a quality vette. Very unhappy!!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Splasha1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by beach chopper
I just got the call from Dimmitt that it is normal for the RPM's to drop to 400, imagine that! About the loss of power steering: they never felt that, they went on to explain to me that those vettes got really wide tires and it may be that it just feels like I am losing the power steering. I am completly dissappointed in the American car makers. I knew a lot of their models were crap, but I thought they would continue to build a quality vette. Very unhappy!!

My Mercedes ML 55 does the same thing.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:25 AM
kaislick
Instructor

sounds like a simple tune fix, have them bump cold idle 200 rpm, warm idle 100-150.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine RPM problem

Quick Reply: Engine RPM problem