C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason to get a "tune" if car is stock? If so, what is changed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 AM
aero400
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason to get a "tune" if car is stock? If so, what is changed?

My car is stock and I intend on leaving it stock for now (stock intake, stock exhaust system, stock thermostat, stock rear gears, etc).

I've heard that a mere "tune" can make a noticeable improvement even to cars that are bone stock. Is this true, and if so, exactly what aspects of the car get changed via the tune?

It is my understanding that there are different tuning "tools" (programs) out there. Which are considered "best". Which should be avoided?

I've searched the forum and found debates regarding "torque management", whether or not it exists, and if so, can it be removed, partially or fully or...? Anyone care to elaborate on this? I assume that TM is some sort of power "limiter"? What exactly is its purpose, and are there any good reasons NOT to remove it?

I am guessing that a "tune" may also include playing with fuel metering and ignition timing for more lower-end crispness. Is this true, and will it make a difference that you can "feel"? Any dangers?

What are some other parameters that are commonly altered (improved) on a bone stock car via a tune?

Would love to hear comments from people with stock cars that have gotten tunes. What was your experience? Review?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Boston Z51
Advanced

I am getting a tune and a 160 tstat in a few weeks on my 2006 Z51. The only mod I have is an intake right now..

I race my car at the 1/4 and I was extreemly aggravated with my results due to heat. Depending on air temp and how long my car has to sit idle in the staging lane my vette will consistantly run 13.2-13.5@107-108 due to heat. On a cool night without waiting thru the staging lanes My car will consistantly run 12.6-12.8@112-113.

So you can figure out that this same thing is going on when driving day to day, the battle of power is constantly going on under the hood.

The tune will help immunize the car to power loss due to heat. In addition I heard that people see HP and TQ increases after the tune on average around 9-12 at the rear wheel and 8-10 on the mid range.

Also I will have my skip shift disabled, my cooling fans set to turn on at lower temps..
Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Boston Z51 has the right idea, even if your car is stock a tune can unleash some of the power buried by the constraints of GM's designers. You don't mention where you are located, if you're in the NE I can recommend Chuck at COW.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Absolutely!!!

Originally Posted by aero400
My car is stock and I intend on leaving it stock for now (stock intake, stock exhaust system, stock thermostat, stock rear gears, etc).

I've heard that a mere "tune" can make a noticeable improvement even to cars that are bone stock. Is this true, and if so, exactly what aspects of the car get changed via the tune?

It is my understanding that there are different tuning "tools" (programs) out there. Which are considered "best". Which should be avoided?

I've searched the forum and found debates regarding "torque management", whether or not it exists, and if so, can it be removed, partially or fully or...? Anyone care to elaborate on this? I assume that TM is some sort of power "limiter"? What exactly is its purpose, and are there any good reasons NOT to remove it?

I am guessing that a "tune" may also include playing with fuel metering and ignition timing for more lower-end crispness. Is this true, and will it make a difference that you can "feel"? Any dangers?

What are some other parameters that are commonly altered (improved) on a bone stock car via a tune?

Would love to hear comments from people with stock cars that have gotten tunes. What was your experience? Review?

Absolutely!!! And, I would say that the tune should be the first thing on your list....

There is no reason to begin making power with other mods only to have GM close the throttle, and pull ignition timing on you while you drive....Additionally, What other mods would you make????

Well, 90% of the mods you would think about making involve adding airflow...... Which means...It would be REALLY SMART to tune it...

Also, considering the poor quality of gas we have and the Very high temps that these cars run....TUNING IS A MUST!

Lastly, think about some of the mods you might be considering and what they cost....

Hands down, THERE'S NOTHING THAT EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THE COST OF THE TUNE THAT WILL GIVE YOU SUCH A HUGE BANG FOR THE BUCK!

It's an Easy decision to make.
Chuck CoW
Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,091 Likes on 659 Posts

As long as you are positive that you are not going to do any mods in the near future, then at that point we would recommend a tune. If there is any chance of mods in the future (intake headers etc) then I would recommend to wait rather than spending the money now for a tune.

While getting the tune I would recommend at least a thermostat so that the fan temps can be lowered at the same time, it is an inexpensive mod that will make a nice difference. After the tune is finished you can expect at least a 2-3 tenth difference in 1/4 mile times, or a noticeable seat of the pants difference.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

And you don't mention it in your sig but if you have an automatic it would make a very noticable improvement.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:02 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Totally!

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
As long as you are positive that you are not going to do any mods in the near future, then at that point we would recommend a tune. If there is any chance of mods in the future (intake headers etc) then I would recommend to wait rather than spending the money now for a tune.

While getting the tune I would recommend at least a thermostat so that the fan temps can be lowered at the same time, it is an inexpensive mod that will make a nice difference. After the tune is finished you can expect at least a 2-3 tenth difference in 1/4 mile times, or a noticeable seat of the pants difference.
TOTALLY! Right on the money! The stat is really cheap and one of the smartest "first" things you should be doing.....

Trust me, The car loves it!
Chuck CoW
Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
dtwalkerfl
Instructor

I am installing a 160 thermostat today in my stock 07 Z51 A6 coupe. I would like a tune but:

How do you find a tuner in my area?
How do you rate a tuner? (I don't want to pay somebody to learn the software on my car) If that's the case, I want to be doing the learning!
Should I invest in a canned tune? Which one?
Superchips doesn't have the A6 software yet and I doubt Diablo has it either.

HP Tuning software looks horribly complicated. If not, suggestions would be appreciated as to trans shift points etc. I have seen on this forum that tuners will not share ideas or even make suggestions. I can't see how this will hurt or draw business away from someone that is 1500 miles away from me. I don't think I will be driving to your location if I don't buy the HP Tuning software.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:07 PM
0GANGSTERMIKE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dtwalkerfl
I am installing a 160 thermostat today in my stock 07 Z51 A6 coupe. I would like a tune but:

How do you find a tuner in my area?
How do you rate a tuner? (I don't want to pay somebody to learn the software on my car) If that's the case, I want to be doing the learning!
Should I invest in a canned tune? Which one?
Superchips doesn't have the A6 software yet and I doubt Diablo has it either.

HP Tuning software looks horribly complicated. If not, suggestions would be appreciated as to trans shift points etc. I have seen on this forum that tuners will not share ideas or even make suggestions. I can't see how this will hurt or draw business away from someone that is 1500 miles away from me. I don't think I will be driving to your location if I don't buy the HP Tuning software.
Be carefull...............

There is so much to learn when it comes to using the tuning software. I would leave it in the hands of the pros. Remember, guys like Chuck have tuned hundreds upon hundreds of cars. He knows exactly what kind of tune will work on YOUR specific car based on the mods you have. You want someone to tune your car and get you the most HP, but at the same time and most important BE SAFE FOR YOUR CAR. I have known people that came from other so called "big name shops" (no names mentioned) and their car was running dangerously lean and these guys have been tuning for a while (go figure!!). It is not just a matter of adjusting shift points, etc., there are hundreds of parameters that are optomized. I would leave it to the pros, don't take a chance hurting your car!! Just my opinion!!

BTW.......if you are not close to Chuck, then give him a call and set up a mail order tune (and no this will not be a canned tune, it will be a great tune with the mods you have on your car!!).

Last edited by GANGSTERMIKE; 08-13-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:54 PM
quicksilver2k1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default A6 tuning

I had my car tuned by Chuck. Mine is an A6 bone stock except the tune and I can tell you there is a difference. Best bang for the buck IMO.

Quicksilver2K1
Old 08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
redline_ken
Racer

How do you locate a tuner in your local area? Is there a listing on the forum? I'm in the southern NJ/Philadelphia area. Or if you get a program via mail or download, does anyone have a loaner Diablo to install it, since you only need it once (hopefully)?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:18 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,091 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by redline_ken
How do you locate a tuner in your local area? Is there a listing on the forum? I'm in the southern NJ/Philadelphia area. Or if you get a program via mail or download, does anyone have a loaner Diablo to install it, since you only need it once (hopefully)?
We are in your back yard Ken, feel free to call or PM. 609-752-0321

Best results are always from an onsite tune.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 PM
redline_ken
Racer

PM sent to Doug.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default The answer is YES, at least at ENGLAND GREEN !

See the thread I posted on my STOCK TUNE AT ENGLAND GREEN for my very positive experience in getting a good tune on an essentially stock C6 MN6.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
dbradley
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck did mine via mail. I had CAI, catback and he provided stat and tune. The throttle response is way better and the car is much smoother around town. I lived in AZ when it was done and now live in OK. But its not that much different altitude and the octane available is the same. Even if it needed changed, he'll change it free. Just pay the freight. Great experience and I didn't have to learn and possibly damage something trying to do it myself.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by clevitekid
See the thread I posted on my STOCK TUNE AT ENGLAND GREEN for my very positive experience in getting a good tune on an essentially stock C6 MN6.
Thanks Lee. I am pleased that you liked the tune.

Stephen
Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by clevitekid
Lee, good meeting you and Dan Tuesday, very rare color combo on the vert , interesting 997 views from Dan as well, I suppose the new tune on the C6 will have him seeing Vette taillights fading ahead now at a slightly faster rate

Get notified of new replies

To Any reason to get a "tune" if car is stock? If so, what is changed?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Jim Snyder
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to leave my C6 stock. But I would like the throttle response to be made quicker or immediate. If I got a mail tune could it be done so I don't need to go to a 160 degree thermostat? I'm not concerned about any more power, just response time.

Living in Montana, I REALLY like the way the heater works.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:28 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Hey there.....Give me a call.....

Originally Posted by Jim Snyder
I want to leave my C6 stock. But I would like the throttle response to be made quicker or immediate. If I got a mail tune could it be done so I don't need to go to a 160 degree thermostat? I'm not concerned about any more power, just response time.

Living in Montana, I REALLY like the way the heater works.
Hey man...Give me a call and I'll explain it to ya....

Right now, I'm the only guy in the country that has Direct control of the LS2/LS7 throttle.... I'm doing some testing for one of the software companies right now....

With any luck I'll have the full control we're looking for very soon....

STAY TUNED!
Chuck CoW
Old 08-15-2007, 04:56 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Interesting. I have no problems controlling the LS2/LS7 throttle...

Quick Reply: Any reason to get a "tune" if car is stock? If so, what is changed?