C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iCAGS causing CHECK ENGINE light!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 PM
corrado
Le Mans Master

Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default iCAGS causing CHECK ENGINE light!!

Ok ,so I had my iCAGS installed. 2 days later, the CHECK engine light came on. I thought it was the gas cap not on tight, but I took it to a dealer, (not my selling dealer) they said it showed a 1-4 shift error code. They then reset it for me to see if it would come back.

Sure enough it came back on after a while of driving it.
I don't like driving with an engine light on, so while at the dealer (my selling dealer) I was having my reaf diff fluid changed and told them to check the CHECK ENGINE light.

They checked it and said the iCAGS was defective, or the wrong one, whatever. Fine I said. Thinking i will get it replaced from the iCAGS seller.
BUT, the dealer said they were going to CHARGE me $95 to check the light! I was shocked, because the car is still under warranty. They said it was an aftermarket part so they were charging me. I was pissed. I didn't tell them to fix, replace or even remove the iCAGS, I just wanted to know what the light was on for for sure. They asked me if they wanted it removed, which would have costed ANOTHER $50!!!!! ( i told them to keep it on)

So I walked out having to pay $263 for them to replace my diff fluid, (150$) which i dont mind paying, PLUS the 95$ to check a light on a WARRANTIED car.

Needless to say I am NOT going back to them, and I removed their dealer named rear plate cover. Very sad because up until then, they have always been good to me. But I don't believe they shoulda hosed me $95 for literally 5 mins of "work". I shelled out over $60 000+ for a car, I don't like being penny pinched. I always reccommended them to my friends before this incident. Some companies don't understand that a happy customer is a good customer.

Anyways, I had the iCAGS replaced for free by the seller, supposedly it was the wrong one. Had it installed yesterday. Guess what. Today the light CAME back on!

I guess I just have to live with the damn 1-4th shifting b.s. and the loss of $95!

Sorry this was so long, and if yo uare still reading this, thanx. I had to vent.

Anyone else have the iCAGS cause the engine light to come on??
Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by corrado
Ok ,so I had my iCAGS installed. 2 days later, the CHECK engine light came on.
Well.....with the dealer having looked at it I would imagine they would have noticed if it weren't hooked up correctly.

Butt......I'd be willing to bet that you don't have it hooked up correctly!

Take a look at the picture in post #66 in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1476169&page=4

Also, take a look at several of the responses from other guys in the posts that follow. Several had the same problem as you have and it's because they hooked the CAGS eliminator up to that other connector (fluid level or temp sensor?), and not to the skip-shift solenoid toward the top of the transmission.

I bet if you hook it up to the right place that it will work fine.

The other problem you might have is that you hooked it up backwards. The resistor goes on the cable and the dust/weather cap goes on the solenoid in the transmission.

Either way, get it hooked up properly and it will work fine with no CEL.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-26-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
don7790
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't think the blame should go to the dealer it should go to the installing seller. I am sorry but you should have been charged for a problem that wasn't caused by GM or the dealer. I know it only took 5 min but I am sure they have a 1hr min charge for any diagnosis. You wouldn't have complained if a plummer came to your house for a hour and charged you for someone else's mess up.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by beezeye
Well.....with the dealer having looked at it I would imagine they would have noticed if it weren't hooked up correctly.

Butt......I'd be willing to bet that you don't have it hooked up correctly!

Take a look at the picture in post #66 in this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1476169&page=4

Also, take a look at several of the responses from other guys in the posts that follow. Several had the same problem as you have and it's because they hooked the CAGS eliminator up to that other connector (fluid level or temp sensor?), and not to the skip-shift solenoid toward the top of the transmission.

I bet if you hook it up to the right place that it will work fine.

The other problem you might have is that you hooked it up backwards. The resistor goes on the cable and the dust/weather cap goes on the solenoid in the transmission.

Either way, get it hooked up properly and it will work fine with no CEL.

Bob
It's probably hooked up wrong. The only time I have read about a problem it has been a defective eliminator or it was hooked up wrong.

I wonder why you paid for the differential fluid flush? If it was done for the rear end chatter that most of us have had it's a warranty issue and done at no charge. Their is a TSB for it. Check the FAQ for a complete description of it.

Get notified of new replies

To iCAGS causing CHECK ENGINE light!!

Quick Reply: iCAGS causing CHECK ENGINE light!!