C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First day at the track with C6

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:29 PM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First day at the track with C6

My car is an A6, has LG headers & cats, Vararam Snake Charmer, and tuning by Chuck at CoW. I went to a local club event at Maryland International Raceway, mostly F-Bodies and Mustangs. In fact, I was the only Corvette there.

My first run was at 10 AM, when it was still fairly cool. Pulled a 12.65 @113.7 MPH, w/ a 1.96 60 ft. That was the best run of the day, as by 2 PM I was running 12.80's.

I was really pleased with my reaction times, as I treed every guy I ran against. First two pulls were on the XMAS tree, and I had .041 and .024 reaction times. The next two were on a pro tree light, with a .400 red light. I had a .430 and a .461. Later on I got a little overaggressive, and redlighted doing brackets. Oh well....not bad for an old fart.

I did have some troubles with the tranny getting hung up on the 1-2 shift, lost my index race as a result, blowing a 2-car length lead. Maybe by then the tranny fluid was getting hot.

My short times were all right around 2.00, with the 1.96 being the best. No wheelspin whatsoever, with the runflats at 30 psi, no burnout. The runs were very consistent, just that they got steadily slower as the temps picked up. Guess I need to find a way to trick the IAT sensor.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Good runs on stock tires!

I'm pretty sure Chuck has eliminated/reduced the timing pulled from relatively low IAT's, that's normally one of the first tables changed in a tune I believe. Ask him to be sure but I can't imagine him leaving it stock. So I don't think you need the old "timing tricker" IAT mod!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HITMAN99
My car is an A6, has LG headers & cats, Vararam Snake Charmer, and tuning by Chuck at CoW. I went to a local club event at Maryland International Raceway, mostly F-Bodies and Mustangs. In fact, I was the only Corvette there.

My first run was at 10 AM, when it was still fairly cool. Pulled a 12.65 @113.7 MPH, w/ a 1.96 60 ft. That was the best run of the day, as by 2 PM I was running 12.80's.

I was really pleased with my reaction times, as I treed every guy I ran against. First two pulls were on the XMAS tree, and I had .041 and .024 reaction times. The next two were on a pro tree light, with a .400 red light. I had a .430 and a .461. Later on I got a little overaggressive, and redlighted doing brackets. Oh well....not bad for an old fart.

I did have some troubles with the tranny getting hung up on the 1-2 shift, lost my index race as a result, blowing a 2-car length lead. Maybe by then the tranny fluid was getting hot.

My short times were all right around 2.00, with the 1.96 being the best. No wheelspin whatsoever, with the runflats at 30 psi, no burnout. The runs were very consistent, just that they got steadily slower as the temps picked up. Guess I need to find a way to trick the IAT sensor.

Outstanding reaction times! We do a yearly get together at the track with work people. I've won the bracket race one year, but lately I keep red lighting by just a little.

I'm a little surprised you didn't run quicker with headers and a vararam. My best is a 12.52 and 114.73 mph, but this is at 2600 foot DA. Mine is an A6 with LG's and the Xcelerator inlet. Plus, your 60's all look good. Only difference I see is I do NOT have a tune and I do have a 160 stat. How hot was it there today?

As far as the 1 to 2 shift. Did it sound like it hit the rev limiter. Mine has never done this at the track, but it does it on the street in the winter time. What I do notice at the track is my 1 to 2 shift sometimes kind of "lays down."
Old 06-24-2007, 11:19 PM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:11 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Outstanding reaction times
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 AM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

nice run, did you run saturday or sunday?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 467 Likes on 250 Posts

Just wait until the fall and winter and much cooler air.

Low 12s at 115+ are in your near future.

I must say I am very surprised that you did not need a burnout to get the car to stick out of the hole.
Probably due to the warm temps making the track sticky and your car making a little less power in the heat.

In the winter I think a healthy burnout will be necessary.

Howard
Old 06-25-2007, 08:51 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1
nice run, did you run saturday or sunday?
I ran Saturday morning. MIR usually runs club events from 9 AM to 2 PM, then runs their regular Saturday schedule. Temps were mid seventies at 10 AM, 85 or so by 1 PM.

I'm really not sure whether Chuck modified the IAT tables. Also, when he installed my LG's, there was a problem with one of the tubes. When I went to pick it up the next morning, he was still working on it, & so didn't have enough time left to do a really thorough street tune. As soon as EFI Live gets their act together, I will get one of their hand-held units, do some logging, and have Chuck tweak the tune via email.

I was also surprised that the runflats hooked so well. MIR usually preps their track pretty well though.

The tranny shifts were pretty soft. It never felt like it hit the rev limiter, but did seem to "hang" a bit right at the shift point. I thought about shifting with the paddles, but didn't want to experiment too much. Plus, I haven't heard many guys recommending it.

Last edited by HITMAN99; 06-25-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I ran Saturday morning. MIR usually runs club events from 9 AM to 2 PM, then runs their regular Saturday schedule. Temps were mid seventies at 10 AM, 85 or so by 1 PM.

I'm really not sure whether Chuck modified the IAT tables. Also, when he installed my LG's, there was a problem with one of the tubes. When I went to pick it up the next morning, he was still working on it, & so didn't have enough time left to do a really thorough street tune. As soon as EFI Live gets their act together, I will get one of their hand-held units, do some logging, and have Chuck tweak the tune via email.

I was also surprised that the runflats hooked so well. MIR usually preps their track pretty well though.

The tranny shifts were pretty soft. It never felt like it hit the rev limiter, but did seem to "hang" a bit right at the shift point. I thought about shifting with the paddles, but didn't want to experiment too much. Plus, I haven't heard many guys recommending it.
Might want to see what Chuck uses (I bet HP Tuners) and buy that, otherwise, if he doesn't use EFI he won't be able to view your logs!
Old 06-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Nice runs......Congrats!

Chuck does use HP Tuners now, but has also been testing and working closely with EFI Live for some time. He is going to be on the first shipment of EFI Live with Autocal, which is coming real soon.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:44 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time and some good runs also.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:43 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Not really......

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Might want to see what Chuck uses (I bet HP Tuners) and buy that, otherwise, if he doesn't use EFI he won't be able to view your logs!
Hey Guys.....One small correction..... You can LOG any car REGARDLESS of the tuning software used and even if the computer is locked...it dosen't matter.....

Tune with HP and Log with EFI or the other way around....no problem....

Yes, AUTOCAL will be amazing....Watch for it soon!

Chuck CoW
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Nice Going!

NICE GOING! By the way, I think that your A6 program is a bit outdated....I've changed it quite a bit since I saw you last.... GET READY FOR AUTOCAL!

Chuck CoW
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
NICE GOING! By the way, I think that your A6 program is a bit outdated....I've changed it quite a bit since I saw you last.... GET READY FOR AUTOCAL! Chuck CoW
Chuck, I'm a little outdated myself! LOL!

One of my fellow club members had his EFI Live kit with him (beta version), and tried to download your tune --- to no avail. I told him that whenever EFI Live got their act together, I was going to buy myself a copy. Been waiting a LONG time though.....

I'm also thinking of going ahead and having an O2 bung welded into my exhaust, in anticipation of a wideband sensor. So, yes --- I'm getting ready!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Contact Me For Your Efi Live Needs!

Chuck, I'm a little outdated myself! LOL!

One of my fellow club members had his EFI Live kit with him (beta version), and tried to download your tune --- to no avail. I told him that whenever EFI Live got their act together, I was going to buy myself a copy. Been waiting a LONG time though.....

I'm also thinking of going ahead and having an O2 bung welded into my exhaust, in anticipation of a wideband sensor. So, yes --- I'm getting ready!
CONTACT ME FOR YOUR EFI LIVE NEEDS!

I have become an EFI LIVE RESELLER.....When you need a V2 cable or an AUTOCAL....GIVE ME A CALL!

Chuck CoW
Old 06-25-2007, 11:26 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

This happens on my 1 to 2 shift, my 2 to 3 is always quick and firm. Drives me crazy. Then I'll try the paddles on the street and it seems to shift a lot better. I'm trying the paddles next time at the track. I've logged it and you can see the accel rate lay over right before the shift. Like you said, it feels like it is hanging.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Nice Run

Get notified of new replies

To First day at the track with C6

Old 06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

Can you tell me how you launch without any wheel spin? What rpm are you launching? Also did you turn the traction control off and run in the S mode? My biggest problem is with wheel spin. My car is totally stock, launch at 1000rmp in S mode with TC off and 30psi stock tires. Would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by csun213
Can you tell me how you launch without any wheel spin? What rpm are you launching? Also did you turn the traction control off and run in the S mode? My biggest problem is with wheel spin. My car is totally stock, launch at 1000rmp in S mode with TC off and 30psi stock tires. Would appreciate anyone's input. Thanks
A well prepared track is quite a bit better than the street. I assume you are spinning on the street. If you are spinning at the track, it could be that the track doesn't prep properly. Or if it's cold out, you may need to do a burnout to warm up your rear tires. Most people, including me, launch at the strip with TC off and the engine speed right around 1000 to 1200 rpm. If I spin that way, I launch off of idle.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 PM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Originally Posted by csun213
Traction Control was off, all my launches in S, except on the last pass. Since I had those shifting hangs, I tried the last launch in D, and it shifted OK.

As Glenn said, launches on a well-prepped track are a lot different than on the street. I launched right at 1K RPMs. Before the launch, I didn't do a real burnout, just applied throttle with the brake on until the tires started to spin, then gave it full throttle for 20-30 ft. to clean the tires. RPMs got up to 4K, so the tires were spinning pretty good.

Last edited by HITMAN99; 06-25-2007 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: First day at the track with C6