C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coat or not to coat (headers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:21 PM
vlocty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coat or not to coat (headers)

I am about to purchase some LG long tubes for my 05 to go with my ZO6 muffs. Should I have them coated or leave them alone? How much of a benefit is the coating? If I coat them should I coat the headers and x pipe or just headers. Do the SS headers discolor alot due to the heat? If so, coating may be good for cosmetics reasons as well as keeping engine bay cooler.

PS. I need bigger paychecks. Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 PM
blackvett
Instructor

I'm in the same boat too! but I got some kooks w/tbyrne motorsports w/the saving I got, it's like I got free jet hot coating for the same price I would get it from kooks. I think all you need is to do the header only (that's all you will see most of the time) I seen some coating still look like new after 5 years! if you don't care about ss header discolor than save some $$ for other upgrade.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:32 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion Jet Hot is needed on carbon steel headers, but not on stainless steel headers. The 300 series stainless will discolor, but I like the look. Plus stainless has a much lower thermal conductivity than carbon steel, so you really don't need the coating to lower the under hood temps.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

There are some benefits to a quality ceramic coating for SS headers.

From Jet Hott:
Heat: The coating promotes denser, more potent fuel/air charges by insulating the engine bay from exhaust heat.

Also, it accelerates the pulsed-vacuum effect on “tuned” headers, resulting in more effective scavenging of cylinders. The increased velocity of exhaust gases produced by higher exit inertia not only clears each cylinder more quickly; it also draws in the next fuel/air charge more efficiently.

I had just the headers coated, not the X-pipe ect, from a reputable shop near me and this kept the headers looking good and made them easy to resell when I upgraded to the twins...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:03 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Coat jet hot !
Old 04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

I recently bought a used set of Kooks including the hi-flo cats and X pipe. I had the whole shebang coated by Swain Tech in SW NY state. Their coating is supposed to be a true thermal barrier for heat compared to the more populat Jet Hot coat.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
In my opinion Jet Hot is needed on carbon steel headers, but not on stainless steel headers. The 300 series stainless will discolor, but I like the look. Plus stainless has a much lower thermal conductivity than carbon steel, so you really don't need the coating to lower the under hood temps.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:41 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vlocty
I am about to purchase some LG long tubes for my 05 to go with my ZO6 muffs. Should I have them coated or leave them alone? How much of a benefit is the coating? If I coat them should I coat the headers and x pipe or just headers. Do the SS headers discolor alot due to the heat? If so, coating may be good for cosmetics reasons as well as keeping engine bay cooler.

PS. I need bigger paychecks. Anyone else in the same boat?
I coated my entire ARH setup, pipes and all. I know you can't see the pipes, but the headers looked so good coated that I couldn't resist.

I personally think uncoated headers look like crap. Now everytime I open my hood I see a nice sterling coating staring back at me. I haven't had them in long, so I don't know what benefit there is aside from them looking sweet.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I coated my entire ARH setup, pipes and all. I know you can't see the pipes, but the headers looked so good coated that I couldn't resist.

I personally think uncoated headers look like crap. Now everytime I open my hood I see a nice sterling coating staring back at me. I haven't had them in long, so I don't know what benefit there is aside from them looking sweet.
Funny thing about when I see Jet Hot, I think it's very nice looking, but then I think, they must be cheaper carbon steel headers. I figured if someone paid the extra to get 300 series stainless, they would want to show it off.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Maui
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I usually get my headers jet coated but this time I'm going with the AR's straight out of the box.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've heard arguments for and against coating. I don't regret having my LGM long tubes coated....

Old 04-26-2007, 08:23 AM
andyandy98
Pro

Funny thing about when I see Jet Hot, I think it's very nice looking, but then I think, they must be cheaper carbon steel headers. I figured if someone paid the extra to get 300 series stainless, they would want to show it off.
I did think the same way as Glenn, it's easy to assume cheaper headers are the coated headers. I originally wanted uncoated stainless, but more so because I believe they are superior.

I bought ARH and when I ordered them they were the last in stock and were coated, so I took them anyways. No regrets. They really do look good and I have grown to appreciate the coating for their unchanging, clean appearance. For sure raw stainless looks nice as well.

Aside from the mild steel (which should be coated due to their properties and propensities to corrosion) It is purely Persoanl choice here for the buyer as far as coating SS, but I don't think you can lose either way. Buying Kooks, Lg or ARH it's win win win!!!

Just my 2 cents

Old 04-26-2007, 08:32 AM
BC Bob
Racer

That is exactly what Nick from AR headers told me.
Plus he said that after a couple of years, the coating will begin to flake off.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:05 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

The headers on my 2000 C5 were coated and still looked great when I sold it two months ago. They did not flake at all. The headers on my 2002 Ford Lightning are 304 stainless and uncoated. They have changed color to a golden hue, from the heat, and I like that also. I JUST Yesterday had ARH 304 stainless headers installed on my Z, uncoated. I also feel the stainless headers don't need to be coated.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
vlocty
Advanced

Thanks everyone! I think I will go uncoated. Now I can order them.

I will post comments on how the mod install went I a couple weeks after I get all of the parts in. Pics as well.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:17 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by andyandy98
I did think the same way as Glenn, it's easy to assume cheaper headers are the coated headers. I originally wanted uncoated stainless, but more so because I believe they are superior.

I bought ARH and when I ordered them they were the last in stock and were coated, so I took them anyways. No regrets. They really do look good and I have grown to appreciate the coating for their unchanging, clean appearance. For sure raw stainless looks nice as well.

Aside from the mild steel (which should be coated due to their properties and propensities to corrosion) It is purely Persoanl choice here for the buyer as far as coating SS, but I don't think you can lose either way. Buying Kooks, Lg or ARH it's win win win!!!

Just my 2 cents

Very well put!
Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
kermooni
Racer

Default My experience with Jethot Kooks and LPE CAI

Here is my experience ...

I went with 1 7/8" Kooks (bought directly from Jethot coated with Extreme Sterling) and their Catted X-Pipe, stock muffler. Add in a LPE CAI and a tune. All done by Olsen Corvette

HP 334 -> 378
TQ 337 -> 382

As far as looks go, I like the SS look, but without coating, it will discolor. Also IMHO, coating helps performance a bit.

The minuses ... you WILL have DRONE between 1500 and 1900 RPM - the cruising RPM for 70 - 80 MPH

Seriously considering adding in the Cosra Sports - I am not sure how much louder it will get at cruise, but the drone is getting to me. Any feedback?

Last edited by kermooni; 04-26-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo

Get notified of new replies

To Coat or not to coat (headers)

Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have LG's to corsa sports. There is a little drone around 1600 rpm, but not much. Sounds good.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
midnite902
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kermooni
Here is my experience ...

I went with 1 7/8" Kooks (bought directly from Jethot coated with Extreme Sterling) and their Catted X-Pipe, stock muffler. Add in a LPE CAI and a tune. All done by Olsen Corvette

HP 334 -> 378
TQ 337 -> 382

As far as looks go, I like the SS look, but without coating, it will discolor. Also IMHO, coating helps performance a bit.

The minuses ... you WILL have DRONE between 1500 and 1900 RPM - the cruising RPM for 70 - 80 MPH

Seriously considering adding in the Cosra Sports - I am not sure how much louder it will get at cruise, but the drone is getting to me. Any feedback?

I have Black Jet Hot Coated Kooks and Corsa sports. Still quiet on Cruise but roars at WOT throttle.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Coat 'em!

Quick Reply: Coat or not to coat (headers)