C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise/Rattle in shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:47 PM
launchp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise/Rattle in shifter

Hi folks,

I have searched the forum and see some similar post but they are for C4and C5 corvettes, I have a 2007 C6 , so I figured I would post my question.

So, I have a 2007 C6 with about 1000 miles now, 6spd manual, and z51 package. I am hearing a noise come from the shifter in gears 1-3 when i get on the gas. If I hold the shifter the noise goes away. The noise sounds like a high pitched rev or the sound of a zip-tie. Any ideas and should I get this in for service asap?

Some extra info...most of my shifts feel smooth but sometimes the shift feels like I have to force it in...there is no grinding or wierd sounds, but you have to get it in and can feel it catching up.

Your information is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:35 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Does this help?

Document ID# 1875765
2007 Chevrolet Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: 6 Speed Shifter Rattle Growl Buzz Noise - keywords control shake shift #PIP3104C - (12/05/2006)

Models: 1997-2007 Chevrolet Corvette

Equipped with a Tremec 6-Speed Manual Transmission RPO M12, MM6, MN6, MZ6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being superseded to update model years and add a component. Please discard PIP3104B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Condition 1. 1997-2004 Corvette:

Shifter buzz noise at approximately 3000 RPM.

Condition 2. 1997-2007 Corvette:

Gear rattle or buzz noise at low RPM (below 1500 lugging the engine) or during engine shut down. Also neutral gear rattle noise with the transmission in neutral and the clutch engaged. These noises may be worse with the air condition compressor engaged.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Condition 1. 1997-2004 Corvette:

A revised shifter assembly with added isolation bushings is available as part number 10331311. Part numbers are subject to change so please use any updated part numbers if any become available.

Condition 2. 1997-2007 Corvette:

Gear rattle or buzz noise at low RPM (below 1500 lugging the engine), during engine shut down or also neutral gear rattle noise with the transmission in neutral and the clutch engaged are all normal operating characteristics of the 6-speed transmission. No repair attempts should be made on these conditions. Please refer to the latest version of informational service bulletin 03-07-29-004 which discusses normal operating characteristics of manual transmissions.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1875765
2007 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 PM
launchp
Intermediate

Default shift rattle thanks

Thanks for the info...

1) Where did you get...or rather where do you get the GM bulletins? That provides great information.

2) So my car didn't make this sound until I hit 1000 miles and according to the buletin that it is normal at for my model yr...at low rpm (1500)....what about at a higher rpm (3000)?

I guess I better get to a dealer...
Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

I've read enough of this to realize that this is something we probably have to live with. Some rattle under hard accelertion and some don't. Do you really want your dealer's mechanic to be out road testing your car under hard acceleration to determine what the problem is or how to fix it. I don't think so. I can live with the rattle. They probably can't fix it anyway.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:36 AM
00LS1SS
Advanced

I dont know forsure but for me it was just the screw holding the shifter, pull the boot down remove screw, thread lock and tighten back up and it will probably go away.

Get notified of new replies

To Noise/Rattle in shifter

Quick Reply: Noise/Rattle in shifter