C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vararam with front license plate??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 03:14 PM
jasper03
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vararam with front license plate??

i plan on getting a new c6 within the next week or two and i will be putting on the front license plate mainly because i got pulled over several times in my last car for no front plate. i've done some research and i find that vararam is the best intake for my liking, but i just wanted to know if the front plate will block the vararam intake from getting the sufficient air the engine needs?

Eric
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper03
i plan on getting a new c6 within the next week or two and i will be putting on the front license plate mainly because i got pulled over several times in my last car for no front plate. i've done some research and i find that vararam is the best intake for my liking, but i just wanted to know if the front plate will block the vararam intake from getting the sufficient air the engine needs?

Eric
if you use the gm mount you will not block the vram opening.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:55 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 02-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig
if you use the gm mount you will not block the vram opening.
If you use the GM mount your car will look like crap! Not worth the ugliness of the GM mount, I have a TFP front plate and I'm sure it'll cut down a bit on flow, but keep in mind your car will still be pulling in the coldest air possible since the scoop routed out of the engine bay.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:17 PM
BADC64GO
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
If you use the GM mount your car will look like crap! Not worth the ugliness of the GM mount, I have a TFP front plate and I'm sure it'll cut down a bit on flow, but keep in mind your car will still be pulling in the coldest air possible since the scoop routed out of the engine bay.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
BlackMark
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same concern,so went with the Breathless Vortex Rammer.The opening to the sealed airbox is back a little from the grille to take advantage of the high pressure air pulled in by the front spoiler as well as air coming through the grille.It is my understanding that the C6 is primarily a bottom breather anyway.This is a very well made unit,rock solid when installed.It's an alternative from another one of our fine Forum sponsoring vendors.I also use the Top Flight license bracket,and mount it whenever I am out of my local area.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
opus1111
Pro

Eric
What kinda car made the cops notice and pull you over?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Eric, you're in my zip code dude, hope to "run" into you once your ride comes in. Mike
Old 02-08-2007, 09:59 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Eric

I have the same problem and decided to install the license plate off center, towards the passenger side. Get's it out of the way of the intake and looks kinda cool.

The removable license plate holders attach via tape, so it doesn't matter where you put them, they fit anywhere.

My 2 cents...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
I have the same problem and decided to install the license plate off center, towards the passenger side. Get's it out of the way of the intake and looks kinda cool.

The removable license plate holders attach via tape, so it doesn't matter where you put them, they fit anywhere.

My 2 cents...
didnt know that
Old 02-09-2007, 12:36 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The corvette museum has a bracket that bolts the plate under the front. It basically bolts to your skid plate in the front.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Eric
No, hardly any effect at all. I had my car tuned by Chuck at CoW. We did compare air flow with/without the Top Flight bracket/plate. Its a little better without the plate at VERY high speeds, but it wont be an issue for you at all. For most situations, the plate made no difference whatsoever.

Get notified of new replies

To vararam with front license plate??

Quick Reply: vararam with front license plate??