C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID foglight install instructions with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default HID foglight install instructions with Pics

Installed my HID foglights today. Bought a 6000k H10 kit from Ebay user nissangtrpower for $150 shipped. It was really easy.

1. Remove tires.
2. Remove 9 pop out plugs from front of wheel well and pull wheel well back to access foglight.
3. Remove existing bulb
4. Put wires in socket in kit, matching red wire to purple (positive) wire on car's socket.
5. Install HID bulb - I had to loosen the 3 screws that hold the light in with a t20 torx a little to get it in, then tighten them back down when it's in. Fits perfectly.
6. I used the brackets that come with the kit to mount the ballast on top of the foglight housing, using a piece of double stick tape on top. I bent the bracket mount and mounted it to an existing stud on the foglight housing, the nuts that came with the kit happened to fit.

Plug in the wires and you are done.

The right side on mine didn't work at first, the male part of the socket on the ballast needed to be adjusted - I plugged it in while the lights were on, that gave me a little wake up call! Don't do that.

Here's a pic of the installed light and ballast. You can see the bracket I installed on the existing stud:

Here's a pic of the lights - the left fog is HID, the right is the original. It's a big difference in person. Major difference and major improvement.

These 6000k HID lights are slightly whiter than the stock 4300k HID low beams, but they look great on the car and really work. Thanks to user Madmax0609 for the idea, here's a thread with a ton of additional information:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1526304
The following users liked this post:
The Ronin Chronicle (02-11-2017)
Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

nice and bright looks good.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:54 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you gonna get flashed by oncoming traffic to turn them off?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 AM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

No, actually I'm reading your crap in NY . Had just returned from some drinks and a cigar with my buddy. Wedding coming up today.

Btw, the tree ain't all it's cracked up to be. Rockefeller Ctr and FAO Schwartz were so darn crowded it's unbelievable.

I definitely miss my ride, though.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Time will tell.

A lady flashed me her highbeams once Miami Beach, in a rental Toyota Echo no less. Has not happened to me with either Vette, go figure.

Course I don't get out so much anymore. Heck, I'm at home Saturday night writing stupid car install crap on the internet and it's 68 and beautiful outside! Such is life with small kiddos. I see you are at home reading my crap too.
I put the 4300k kit in and haven't been flashed at all.

The fogs are so low there is almost no way they could bother anyone in front of you.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone try to upgrade to 6000 bulbs in the headlights??
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks Joe. Very helpful.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:43 PM
05_C6Z51
Pro

If I want to replace the stock fog light bulb with one that will fit into its place with no addtional harness etc, what bulb (product) do you guys reccommend? My preference is something around 55-60watts and if possible, yellow in color. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 05_C6Z51
If I want to replace the stock fog light bulb with one that will fit into its place with no addtional harness etc, what bulb (product) do you guys reccommend? My preference is something around 55-60watts and if possible, yellow in color. Thanks in advance for your help.
The stock bulb is 42 watts I noticed. Apparently the H10 HID's I put in are 35 watts but very bright. I would be a little careful increasing the wattage on a standard incandescent bulb, we tried that on our WS6 2006 4th gen T/A's and several guys melted their lenses. But you're not talking much with your plans so I would guess it would be fine.

There is a guy that used to be on the C5 forum here that sold high end bulbs for C5 fogs, you might search over there. Sorry I can't remember him but people raved about his service. Hmmm. Tuan Lee perhaps?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Thanks Joe. Very helpful.
Thanks. Always happy when I can contribute to the community, I get a lot from this forum.

Used them for the first time today and wow are they a big improvement over the stock fogs. They are not as far reaching as the stock HID's - you wouldn't want to use them in lieu of your stock headlights. But they do a great job filling in the area below the stock lighting and lighting up the side area. As I guess they should given the design of the reflector. I bet these would be a GREAT mod for the C5 which I thought had crappy headlights.

I didn't get flashed either. Now that was 5 am so traffic wasn't heavy but I don't think it will result in flashing since the bulbs are so low.

For those considering this mod, the 4300k is more yellow - the 6000k looks more "exotic" to me and is REALLY bright, but if I was to buy them again I'd buy the 4300k now that he stocks them.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Invisiguard
Burning Brakes

just ordered the 4300K kit, will post some shots
Old 12-16-2006, 10:50 AM
ColdBrew
Instructor

Default 4300k installed

I used your instructions to install my 4300k kit. Worked great! Since my car is so new and I haven't had the tires changed, I marked the stud and wheel so I could put the wheels back in the same location for better balance. Or the same balance I had before removing the wheels...

My dad owns a auto shop so I was able to use his lift to do the work (makes it much easier). Having the car pointed at the wall, the 4300k still look more blue than the stock low beams. The 6000k must be REALLY blue. It isn't as close of a match as I expected, but still a big improvement over the factory bulbs! I payed $155 and change for the 4300k. It was $20 more for the 4300k over the 6000k. I'll try to get some pictures when I get time, I was too lazy to do it last night.

They don't go out as far as the low beams so I don't think anyone will be flashing me. I did notice, while judging the color compared to the low beam from the side, that it is really bright from the side. So it might bother people passing going the other direction. But it will be hard to tell since no one is going to be able to flash me while they are that close...
Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 PM
2JZFAN
Racer

hey just a word of warning to the guys install these fake HID retrofit kits: be VERY careful! i had a Meccatune (Hella Ballast) Kit which worked for about a year and then shorted out.. when it shorted it went up in flames. Luckily I was working on the car at the time and was able to get things under control quickly. These retrofit kits no matter the maker of the ballast are illegally modified.. there is a chance with any of them that they may short out like this

i spoke with Hella and the NHTSA only to find out this is very common among these retrofit kits. please be careful guys
Old 12-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Life is full of risks! Heck, your wheels can come apart while going 168 and poof, it's over!

I have had about ten of these kits from different manufacturers over the years and never a problem.

I love my 4300k Fog Lights so much I put a set on my wife's Expedition and son's 4x4 Ford Truck.

Originally Posted by 2JZFAN
hey just a word of warning to the guys install these fake HID retrofit kits: be VERY careful! i had a Meccatune (Hella Ballast) Kit which worked for about a year and then shorted out.. when it shorted it went up in flames. Luckily I was working on the car at the time and was able to get things under control quickly. These retrofit kits no matter the maker of the ballast are illegally modified.. there is a chance with any of them that they may short out like this

i spoke with Hella and the NHTSA only to find out this is very common among these retrofit kits. please be careful guys
Old 01-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Warning to those who are now doing this, look for an aim adjustment and adjust them down a little when you do this. I didn't aim mine downward from factory specs and I get flashed from time to time. I will have to jack the car up again one of these days and do that.

I understand why people are flashing me, these things are BRIGHT! They are great on empty roads though, forget the brights. Between these and your factory low beams, the C6 really has some great lighting power and the sides of the road are lit up like daylight with these. Overall very happy with this mod after a month of use.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

forgive me if this has already been covered but why would one want to install 'brighter' fog lights ?

isn't it recommended to NOT use your high beams during periods of intense fog ? so why would one want brighter fog lights ? won't brighter lights simply reflect more ?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:56 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Installed my HID foglights today. Bought a 6000k H10 kit from Ebay user nissangtrpower for $150 shipped. It was really easy.

1. Remove tires.
2. Remove 9 pop out plugs from front of wheel well and pull wheel well back to access foglight.
3. Remove existing bulb
4. Put wires in socket in kit, matching red wire to purple (positive) wire on car's socket.
5. Install HID bulb - I had to loosen the 3 screws that hold the light in with a t20 torx a little to get it in, then tighten them back down when it's in. Fits perfectly.
6. I used the brackets that come with the kit to mount the ballast on top of the foglight housing, using a piece of double stick tape on top. I bent the bracket mount and mounted it to an existing stud on the foglight housing, the nuts that came with the kit happened to fit.

Plug in the wires and you are done.

The right side on mine didn't work at first, the male part of the socket on the ballast needed to be adjusted - I plugged it in while the lights were on, that gave me a little wake up call! Don't do that.

Here's a pic of the installed light and ballast. You can see the bracket I installed on the existing stud:

Here's a pic of the lights - the left fog is HID, the right is the original. It's a big difference in person. Major difference and major improvement.

These 6000k HID lights are slightly whiter than the stock 4300k HID low beams, but they look great on the car and really work. Thanks to user Madmax0609 for the idea, here's a thread with a ton of additional information:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1526304
You mean on the passenger side it is factory? and on the driver's side it is HID?
The following users liked this post:
Commishnyse (06-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To HID foglight install instructions with Pics

Old 01-24-2007, 11:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 05_C6Z51
Sylvania Silverstars 9145 replacements. You don't want to create your own problems with electrical gremlins.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LS WON
You mean on the passenger side it is factory? and on the driver's side it is HID?
Yes that's right.

Zig typically fog forms a few feet above the ground (not that I'm a meteroloigist, just my observations) so the foglights are below the fog level, that's why they are mounted so low. You never see fog lights mounted high for this reason. We had rare fog here yesterday on the way to work at 6 am, and they really did a nice job. The lights shine below the fog. And the brighter lights were indeed a lot better. They fan out and light the sides of road a lot better in normal circumstances as well.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that's right.

Zig typically fog forms a few feet above the ground (not that I'm a meteroloigist, just my observations) so the foglights are below the fog level, that's why they are mounted so low. You never see fog lights mounted high for this reason. We had rare fog here yesterday on the way to work at 6 am, and they really did a nice job. The lights shine below the fog. And the brighter lights were indeed a lot better. They fan out and light the sides of road a lot better in normal circumstances as well.
thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: HID foglight install instructions with Pics