C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halltech Shroud Mod Gains

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 06:11 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Halltech Shroud Mod Gains

My son came by today with his scanner. I wanted to see what my inlet air temps (IAT) were doing with just the K&N inlet. We then logged the same data on CBFR's car that has a K&N inlet and the DIY Halltech Shroud mod. The good news is that I have a free mod that I can do that will help me quite a bit. The bad news is CBFR says it's a real pain to pull that shroud.

Ambient during my logging was around 85F. IAT's ran between 104F and 123F. During a hard run it would get down to 104F and I was letting off at around 55 mph. CBFR IAT's ran 87F to 98F (the ambient was up to 86 during his logging). Plus his temps would drop a lot faster than mine and would never heat up as much as mine. That means he was as little as 1 degree over ambient and the closest I got was 19 degrees above ambient.

So tomorrow I get under the car to remove the shroud. I'll post my temps after doing the mod, but I would expect the same results as CBFR.

If I can improve my IAT by 18 degrees, that is around .15 and 1 mph at the track.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:34 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
My son came by today with his scanner. I wanted to see what my inlet air temps (IAT) were doing with just the K&N inlet. We then logged the same data on CBFR's car that has a K&N inlet and the DIY Halltech Shroud mod. The good news is that I have a free mod that I can do that will help me quite a bit. The bad news is CBFR says it's a real pain to pull that shroud.

Ambient during my logging was around 85F. IAT's ran between 104F and 123F. During a hard run it would get down to 104F and I was letting off at around 55 mph. CBFR IAT's ran 87F to 98F (the ambient was up to 86 during his logging). Plus his temps would drop a lot faster than mine and would never heat up as much as mine. That means he was as little as 1 degree over ambient and the closest I got was 19 degrees above ambient.

So tomorrow I get under the car to remove the shroud. I'll post my temps after doing the mod, but I would expect the same results as CBFR.

If I can improve my IAT by 18 degrees, that is around .15 and 1 mph at the track.
i also added a panel on each side to help direct outside air to the air filter. you sure don't want these ambient air going by the headers and then out of engine compartment without giving the air filter a shot at it first.

regrading the pita part with that mod halltech cai piece. this is exact reason i told yell03 to just drill a few holes on each side, it is a quick 10 minute job at the most. let me know if you want help.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:48 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1
i also added a panel on each side to help direct outside air to the air filter. you sure don't want these ambient air going by the headers and then out of engine compartment without giving the air filter a shot at it first.

regrading the pita part with that mod halltech cai piece. this is exact reason i told yell03 to just drill a few holes on each side, it is a quick 10 minute job at the most. let me know if you want help.
Howard (yell03) mentioned reversing the stock filter shield.
If you modify it , you then have the beginning of an air plenum that houses the filter. Working on ducting the fascia extension openings to within a few inches of the filter

Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing
Old 11-04-2006, 11:59 PM
jmess
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glennhl

You may consider just taping up the holes on the front of the car to block the air flow provided by the shroud.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not just cut the shroud like some of the other CAI's do? If you ever want a full stock peice back they can be bought cheap from GM (like $35 I believe)
Old 11-05-2006, 12:54 AM
LMB 4 ME
Safety Car

Location: Boca Raton Inlet, Atlantic Ocean (Floridas east coast)

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1

Old 11-05-2006, 01:16 AM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Why not just cut the shroud like some of the other CAI's do? If you ever want a full stock peice back they can be bought cheap from GM (like $35 I believe)

for us in AZ, summer time high temp can reach 115*+, (3 straight months of 110*+) stealing air from the radiator to lower the underhood temp is like rubbing peter to paid paul.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:19 AM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Howard (yell03) mentioned reversing the stock filter shield.
If you modify it , you then have the beginning of an air plenum that houses the filter. Working on ducting the fascia extension openings to within a few inches of the filter

i made a cover that covers (traps the ambient air) the area better then using the stock rain shield / guard. we may test it next weekend.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:22 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I've considered doing this. I'm trying the Halltech mod first since it doesn't rob any radiator air.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

OK,This can and has been done, without removing the shroud.Just place something behind the shroud and in front of the radiator/cooler/condensor,whatever is back there,to protect yourself from actually cutting one of those things by accident.

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Shroud Mod Gains

Quick Reply: Halltech Shroud Mod Gains