C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cont. of discussion from 1/4 times

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:11 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Finally, the concept of ET "correction factors" is intended to allow a standard means to adjust ETs to a stardard track elevation. It has nothing to do with weather conditions. The only items used as input is the official track elevation. Folks trying to factor in the weather are off the reservation.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

We know that there is a correction factor for Altitude (it has been around for as long as I can remember...but I don't remember so good anymore).

In any case the other factors (weather) are utilized in an attempt to compare apples to apples like accountants compare numbers prepared in the same manner on a consistant basis.

We have posted a disclaimer on the list and post actual uncorrected times. While we are discussing this issue, what are the members opinions. (I just read read ranger & LS1LT1's opinion)

Those of us who helped start the list felt that we should post actual numbers and added the disclaimer. If anyone wanted to adjust for weather they could always PM the individual thay wanted to compare times to.

I have previously offered to change the list in any manner, shape or form that the majority of members agrees (we changed the format based on an suggestion by Nineball) so I am always open to suggestions.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

TommyD lets have a list 0-500 ft. 501- 1000 ft and so on. not just kidding
Old 10-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
TommyD lets have a list 0-500 ft. 501- 1000 ft and so on. not just kidding
Dennis,
I already know your answer but I am to lazy to edit my previous post
Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy D
We know that there is a correction factor for Altitude (it has been around for as long as I can remember...but I don't remember so good anymore).

In any case the other factors (weather) are utilized in an attempt to compare apples to apples like accountants compare numbers prepared in the same manner on a consistant basis.

We have posted a disclaimer on the list and post actual uncorrected times. While we are discussing this issue, what are the members opinions. (I just read read ranger & LS1LT1's opinion)

Those of us who helped start the list felt that we should post actual numbers and added the disclaimer. If anyone wanted to adjust for weather they could always PM the individual thay wanted to compare times to.

I have previously offered to change the list in any manner, shape or form that the majority of members agrees (we changed the format based on an suggestion by Nineball) so I am always open to suggestions.
hey tommy, actual time would be good, but i think including DA would be even better. of course some members that happen to run a really good time in neg DA wouldn't really want to provide that info. this isn't an attack on these great drivers, just look at 06c6fvr's time, all stock 12.23 @115.58mph (neg DA), then with a cat back & a tune but at 3600ish alt track, he could only manage a 13.0 @ 110mph. btw, 06c6fvr, you are one hell of driver, thanks
Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chempowr
Now with all the looking down at me because I doctored my times and your Coveted Ranger acknowledges the need to correct for track altititudes. Shame on you for elementary school behavior.
He said that in some cases for whatever reason there are corrections used but for track elevation ONLY, not for air quality/DA...I don't recall him saying that he (or that others) believes in using them.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:28 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I personally like the list, the disclaimers/criteria and how they're written just as they are, you've done a fine job with it and that is much appreciated.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:33 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I personally like the list, the disclaimers/criteria and how they're written just as they are, you've done a fine job with it and that is much appreciated.

Ranger - thanks for the clarification. Damn - just when I thought I knew it all
Old 10-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cbrf4i1
hey tommy, actual time would be good, but i think including DA would be even better. of course some members that happen to run a really good time in neg DA wouldn't really want to provide that info. this isn't an attack on these great drivers, just look at 06c6fvr's time, all stock 12.23 @115.58mph (neg DA), then with a cat back & a tune but at 3600ish alt track, he could only manage a 13.0 @ 110mph. btw, 06c6fvr, you are one hell of driver, thanks
Yup, cars are just like people can't breathe in that thin air. You all need to come to Jersey where you can actually see the air you breathe
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

most of us dont even know how to figure the DA i know i dont ask Mark LSILTI . i thought the lower the bp was the better ive been looking for 29.10 so i know i have never run in a negative DA
Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Thanks Marc

yea but just wait till I screw up then its the old accountants home
Old 10-26-2006, 09:40 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

hey tommy, actual time would be good, but i think including DA would be even better. of course some members that happen to run a really good time in neg DA wouldn't really want to provide that info.
Hey, I have nothing to hide, I ran my awesome track times in roughly -400 to -300 DA and will continue to seek the great air we do get here from time to time, just as ANYONE tracking their car strictly for improved ET would. Others are also fortunate enough to run in even better -1500 DA sometimes as well so if anyone would like to correct my times/MPH to that I will gladly post those numbers as well.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
most of us dont even know how to figure the DA i know i dont ask Marc LSILTI . i thought the lower the bp was the better ive been looking for 29.10 so i know i have never run in a negative DA
That was funny, earlier in the year Dennis was mixing up the concept of 'low DA' with 'low barometer', he kept going to the track on the lower barometer days (thinking it helped in catching a lower DA as well) and he STILL ran faster each time LOL.
But it's true, I still don't know how to truly calculate DA, I just look for lower temps and a higher barometer and hope the humidity stays low.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:36 PM
zippin zee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anyway we can figure a factor for my 225 lbs arss as I am thinking you smaller guys have a definate advantage.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:02 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zippin zee
Is there anyway we can figure a factor for my 225 lbs arss as I am thinking you smaller guys have a definate advantage.
No,... you get better traction.

Now, if you want to compare the weight of our wallets after a night out drinking, we have a clear advantage. Just as tipsy on less booze.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:16 PM
chempowr
Racer

He said that in some cases for whatever reason there are corrections used but for track elevation ONLY, not for air quality/DA...I don't recall him saying that he (or that others) believes in using them.
I don't know what Ranger believes or anyone else but It now doesn't matter because Ranger enlightened us with the NHRA has guidelines.

In the end, people who have good or great DA have no motivation to see the point of people who live in high altitude/DA areas.

In my situation, track elevation 3800 and DA has ranged 5300-5500. So there is a considerable difference between the 2 however just using the NHRA guidelines I STILL SHAVE just under 0.7s and GAIN over 5 mph
Old 10-27-2006, 12:10 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

In the end, people who have good or great DA have no motivation to see the point of people who live in high altitude/DA areas.
Just as those who don't have good or great DA do have the motivation to continuously drive this point, if you lived here YOU TOO very likely wouldn't.
A lot of 'ifs'.

In my situation, track elevation 3800 and DA has ranged 5300-5500. So there is a considerable difference between the 2 however just using the NHRA guidelines I STILL SHAVE just under 0.7s and GAIN over 5 mph
True...but then again you could've raced here tonight (very cold here right now), spun on the launch, ran into a 20mph headwind and ended up only running .4 and under 3mph better even in this 'superior' air, how would one explain that when these supposedly accurate correction factors stated otherwise?

Get notified of new replies

To Cont. of discussion from 1/4 times

Old 10-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

All this talk about correction factors reminds me of an old first sergeant I know. He used to tell the men in the barrack, "If there's going to be any d*ck measuring contests in this barracks, then by golly, every one of you will be using the same ruler."

That ruler for drag strip passes is the time slip.

Ranger
Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems to me that post the times that you run is just fine. I'm sorry this is not a comp.Even modded my best time is a 12.82 and my track is at 150ft. The only thing I do know is every time I go to the track I improve. Once I think I have everything I can get out of the car then it is time to bracket race. We can't adjust for track prep, head winds tail winds etc. Take the times that are posted and understand there are many factors on why someone like 06c6fvr runs a 12.23 stock compared to my 13.04 including he is probably a better driver.

Just go out and have fun. Someone is always faster than you.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:27 AM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Hey, I have nothing to hide, I ran my awesome track times in roughly -400 to -300 DA and will continue to seek the great air we do get here from time to time, just as ANYONE tracking their car strictly for improved ET would. Others are also fortunate enough to run in even better -1500 DA sometimes as well so if anyone would like to correct my times/MPH to that I will gladly post those numbers as well.

ls1lt, i never mention you had anything to hide, i am sure when you run your great time, if someone had ask what the DA was you would have happily provide that for them, just like what you did on this post.

Quick Reply: Cont. of discussion from 1/4 times