C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharge???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 PM
SSJCreeper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supercharge or not? I think I speak for most everyone out there with an F/I setup.... you definitely won't regret it... Procharger, Maggie, or TT.

As to Maggie vs Procharger. It's well documented the differences in these setups. Personally I love the low-end torque. Some may not put stock in torque, but that's what gets the car out of the hole and on it's way. As for spinning the tires, well it certainly does that. You could always seek to cure that with stickier tires - at your own peril. It would be one BEASTLY machine if it was hooking the tires down low.

On the subject of taking down a Z06. Keep in mind that peak numbers don't tell the whole story.

I did my best eyeballing at several different posted DYNO's to compare HP and TQ side-by-side. I couldn't find a Procharger dyno without any other mods (LOL), so this one represented Procharger with headers. The rest are as advertised. Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:23 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 458 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales@HPE
Obviously what everybody knows about Maggie vs. Procharger is true, and not up for debate. A Magnacharger is good for someone who plans on staying with "bolt ons" because they'll make good instant power/torque off the line since they're designed to have low rpm efficiency. The Procharger is pretty much the opposite....

So you just need to decide what your plans are for the future of your car. If you ever plan on upgrading to bigger cam, ported heads, or a forged stroker motor, I would seriously consider the Procharger because ultimately it will make the most power and stay efficient. A Magnacharger will have a harder time keeping up with the more things you do internally to your engine.

Prochargers on street cars still work great no matter what anybody try's to say. I just did a C5 yesterday with American racing headers, LS6 cam, and a D1SC that made 546 through an automatic transmission unlocked. The customer was very happy and loves the way it drives. Then the other day we did a C6 with a C cam, American racing headers, and 5# pulley that put down 580 through the A6.

So if you're looking for fun, a Procharger is still going to be every bit as fun as a Maggie imo. The only difference is that with a Maggie will give you a little more low end punch. So while you are spinning your tires off the line from all that low end power, I'll be puting car lengths on you with my Procharger that doesn't come on until a little higher RPM

Tire frier's are fun I guess, but I like winning races more. hehe

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300
Thanks..You dont mention anything about maintenance or the weight added for each...

Last edited by V Vette; 08-30-2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo anyone? how does it compare? Not the twin 1000 hp type, but a single turbo system. Who makes them and what are the stats and price?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:05 AM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Turbo anyone? how does it compare? Not the twin 1000 hp type, but a single turbo system. Who makes them and what are the stats and price?

I don't know of any mass-produced single-turbo kits for the C6... I would assume that is because to make a single turbo capable of making the power/ power band equal to that of a twin setup would be: A) very large, and B) have more lag. A large single turbo would undoubtedly make more power, but it would be uber-laggy and boost would probably come on so violent that it wouldn't be as practical on the street...
Old 08-31-2006, 03:18 AM
0Sales@HPE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by schilitj
Here is my set-up:
Procharger D1SC w/60# injectors
AFR 225 Heads
Cam 224 230 581/592 114 LSA
4.75" Pulley
Corsa Sports
Dynatech Supermaxx Headers
Callaway Sport Shifter
160 Degree Thermostat
Tuned

It is my everyday ride. Now, here's my dyno chart, notice where the power curve starts. I have friends with maggies and others with Prochargers. We are all happy campers

BTW, check out the numbers

I'm sure you realize this, but your car is lean spiking real bad up top, which is the reason the power goes up dramatically all at once... You could blow up your motor if you're not careful. Might want to get some more fuel in that thing above 6000 rpm...

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300
Old 08-31-2006, 06:58 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 258 Posts

In the Mustang world that dip before the lean spike is an indication of a pegged maf.

Howard
Old 08-31-2006, 07:47 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Sales@HPE
I'm sure you realize this, but your car is lean spiking real bad up top, which is the reason the power goes up dramatically all at once... You could blow up your motor if you're not careful. Might want to get some more fuel in that thing above 6000 rpm...

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300
Chuck, thanks, I sent your comments to my mod shop and tuner.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:12 AM
0Sales@HPE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by schilitj
Chuck, thanks, I sent your comments to my mod shop and tuner.
If you need any help getting it right just let me know...

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300
Old 08-31-2006, 11:32 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by turbo_tom
I don't know of any mass-produced single-turbo kits for the C6... I would assume that is because to make a single turbo capable of making the power/ power band equal to that of a twin setup would be: A) very large, and B) have more lag. A large single turbo would undoubtedly make more power, but it would be uber-laggy and boost would probably come on so violent that it wouldn't be as practical on the street...
Good point and thanks for the comment. I do have another question for you if you don't mind. What if a person were only looking for 100 hp of so, would there still be the issues you spoke about? I am asking because I have watched the videos on the twin system and there appears to be so much power that the car has a difficult time planting especially when the boost hits. If you could get a system that provided a reasonable punch starting at about 3k and would peak somewhere in the 5k range it would seem to be a more managable curve. My concern about the roots style superchargers is the fact the boost is on almost from idle so I would be hitting my suspect rear with more torque than what is already hitting it. I am not real sure about the centrifugal type in regards to when the boost really starts to come on. I have a 2005 C6 and as I am sure you know there have been problems. All that power won't be any fun if all I do is break something. So I was just thinking the car has good torque now from idle, but a little push while in motion would be great.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:48 PM
turbo_tom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
Good point and thanks for the comment. I do have another question for you if you don't mind. What if a person were only looking for 100 hp of so, would there still be the issues you spoke about? I am asking because I have watched the videos on the twin system and there appears to be so much power that the car has a difficult time planting especially when the boost hits. If you could get a system that provided a reasonable punch starting at about 3k and would peak somewhere in the 5k range it would seem to be a more managable curve. My concern about the roots style superchargers is the fact the boost is on almost from idle so I would be hitting my suspect rear with more torque than what is already hitting it. I am not real sure about the centrifugal type in regards to when the boost really starts to come on. I have a 2005 C6 and as I am sure you know there have been problems. All that power won't be any fun if all I do is break something. So I was just thinking the car has good torque now from idle, but a little push while in motion would be great.

A single turbo on a 6-8 cylinder car would be inefficient for what you are looking for, and are mainly used for drag racing and big HP numbers... Think about every factory turbocharged production car; the 4 cyl cars (VW's, Subaru’s, Mitsubishis, Mazda’s) have a single, small to medium sized turbo to provide good mid range power with minimal lag. 6 cyl and 8 cyl (Porsche, Audi, Toyota) use two turbos to achieve the same outcome.

For what you are looking for, I believe a centrifugal supercharger, or even the APS twin turbo kit set at lower boost will get you what you are looking for: 500 whp/500 wtq with decent tires is very street able.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:10 AM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Turbo, I appreciate the info....
Old 09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
mcv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z06 Steve
when r u taking the Calloway maggie car to LVD again???
Was there just before Carlisle.
Red paddle shift convertible turned 11.55s /122 mph.
Manual trans. Callaway SuperCharged Corvettes are quicker by over 1/2 sec., mainly due to differences in final drive ratio and driveline losses.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:47 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSJCreeper
Supercharge or not? I think I speak for most everyone out there with an F/I setup.... you definitely won't regret it... Procharger, Maggie, or TT.

As to Maggie vs Procharger. It's well documented the differences in these setups. Personally I love the low-end torque. Some may not put stock in torque, but that's what gets the car out of the hole and on it's way. As for spinning the tires, well it certainly does that. You could always seek to cure that with stickier tires - at your own peril. It would be one BEASTLY machine if it was hooking the tires down low.

On the subject of taking down a Z06. Keep in mind that peak numbers don't tell the whole story.

I did my best eyeballing at several different posted DYNO's to compare HP and TQ side-by-side. I couldn't find a Procharger dyno without any other mods (LOL), so this one represented Procharger with headers. The rest are as advertised. Hope this helps.

Excellent post. Very, very nice.

That does it for me. MAGNACHARGER.

Thank you all very much.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Diver Dave
Advanced

I did a procharger on my C6 Z51 and I love it. I added Kooks long tubes and Corsa Sport on the back end. I also added a Kenny Bell fuel boost (a must) and put zo6 tires and wheels on the car (more rubber to the ground). The great thing is the car needs no hood mods. I drive the car every day and race it on the autocross circut on the weekend. I have never had an overheating problem. I have sat is traffic in 90deg weather. No problems. The car runs like a dream and hauls a** Over 500 RWHP.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:17 AM
SSJCreeper
Pro

Enjoy! Looking forward to seeing your post when you have it finished.

I still have trouble keeping the ****-eatin grin off my face everytime I get in my car.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'm also giving serious consideration to a supercharger, changing the hood is out of the question for me, so I would go Procharger. I'm hung up on how its going to decrease the life of the car. Its my first vette and I want to keep it for a long time. I also dont want something thats going to break down all the time, or prevent me from having a dealer that can service the car. HOw do dealerships generally react if a car comes in with a procharger? How long does the drivetrain hold up? Reliability is a serious must for me because the Vette is a toy for me, but I do drive it to work and back in the warm weather. I like to "get on it" occasionally on the highway (legal speeds of course ), and do some nice 0-60 runs. Im not into redline clutch drops, but I enjoy torque. What do you guys think, should I bite the bullet?? Does the car realy feel a lot different with a Procharger?? Sorry to hijak the thread, but figured my questions were related and might help others.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2006, 12:27 PM
0Sales@HPE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
I'm also giving serious consideration to a supercharger, changing the hood is out of the question for me, so I would go Procharger. I'm hung up on how its going to decrease the life of the car. Its my first vette and I want to keep it for a long time. I also dont want something thats going to break down all the time, or prevent me from having a dealer that can service the car. HOw do dealerships generally react if a car comes in with a procharger? How long does the drivetrain hold up? Reliability is a serious must for me because the Vette is a toy for me, but I do drive it to work and back in the warm weather. I like to "get on it" occasionally on the highway (legal speeds of course ), and do some nice 0-60 runs. Im not into redline clutch drops, but I enjoy torque. What do you guys think, should I bite the bullet?? Does the car realy feel a lot different with a Procharger?? Sorry to hijak the thread, but figured my questions were related and might help others.

Thanks
I wouldn't worry too much about the drivetrain. Just put an upgraded clutch in and maybe upgrade the output shafts, then you'll be good to go. Unless you plan on going to the track with sticky tires, you'll probably never break any of the drivetrain parts.

As for the longevity of the car or keeping it for a long time, don't worry, the Procharger isn't going make your car require a burial ceremony, it might burn up the motor up if the tune up is way off, but nothing that can't be fixed. In fact, if it's done right the first time, you might not ever get to that point. A good tune will go a long way in motor longevity.

From what I've seen, cars we build in house leave and almost never come back with problems. That's because we do LS1's, LS2's, LS6's, and LS7's every day, so we know what it takes to do it right. It's the do it yourself cars, and the cars built by "my buddies a mechanic", that seem to carry all the problems. So be very picky about who you have do the work. Make sure it's not the first time they've put a Procharger on a Corvette. In fact, make sure it's not the first time they've worked on a Corvette. You do not want, "that guy", doing your work.

And I'm speaking statistically here, so I don't mean to offend. I know there are some good mechanics out there who haven't worked on a lot of LSx's, who can do work to them without messing them up. But I see this stuff every day, so you'd be suprised what some people tell me about the guys who did the work on their car. I have to ask because they come to us to fix all their problems. I'll take a picture of one that's at my shop right now. It will better define why I have the opinion I do about shadetree mechanics.

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharge???

Old 09-02-2006, 01:18 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

THanks Chuck for the info. Im looking forward to see those pictures of what can go wrong on a bad install. Thanks
Old 09-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Diver Dave
Advanced

Thanks
To answer some of your questions, if you go to the dealer for warranty work, allot of dealers will not honor your warranty. I happen to be friends with my dealer and he will honor the warranty if it is not directly related to the procharger (ie: suspension or electrical). Reliability is pretty much the same if you don't continually abuse the car with repeated harsh luanches and redline shifting. The difference between a not procharged engine and procharged engine is night and day. The average C6 has 325-330RWHP and a procharged engine has 500+ RWHP. I suggest you put a fuel boost system on the car to reduce the chance of running the engine lean. Haven't had any problems with the Procharger on the car at all except I had to change the serpentine belt after a couple of thousand miles due to slipping.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:01 PM
0Sales@HPE
Former Vendor

THanks Chuck for the info. Im looking forward to see those pictures of what can go wrong on a bad install. Thanks
And now for your viewing pleasure...

Words can not describe the thoughts that come to mind when I see things like this... Or maybe I should rephrase that.. The things that come to my mind would probably get me banned from this board.

So, I'm not going to publicize my thoughts. I'm just going to let you see, and you can decide for yourself why certain people shouldn't be allowed to work on your car.... Or even LOOK at it for that matter. lol

Chuck @ HPE
281-448-1300

Quick Reply: Supercharge???