C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True HP gain with Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanos
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True HP gain with Exhaust

I have heard that aftermarket exhaust yields no HP gain with our C6's. Whats the skinny with Corsa's ad(pg 47) Corvette Quartley summer 2006....More Torque & HP , especially below 4000 rpm, 22% Increase in flow over stock with valve open; 171% increase in flow over stock with valve closed. Whats the deal, does aftermarket exhaust yield any HP gains, or is this just false advertising???

Last edited by Thanos; 07-05-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Got nothing with before and after dyno pulls, only sound. With headers different story.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:45 PM
tjfontaine
Safety Car

For sound only mainly - little to no HP gain .... if you want more of a growl AND want HP /Torque gains leave the stock exhaust on and go LT headers.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
fredgpowell
Pro

No Gain just 1000 for better sound. Get some long tubes
Old 07-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers do add hp, but I wouldn't dismiss freer flowing (i.e., lower restriction in exhaust path) from the cat back too quickly. I work with a PhD in mechanical engineering--Porsche 911 driver, but nobody's perfect...and he said the layout of the B&B Bullets will certainly increase hp--more so the higher you go in the rpm band. Even the best flowing muffler is still significantly more restrictive than a resonator only design, B&B, SLP Loudmouth, etc. And with the sound attenuation of the stock muffler--why we all seem to complain about it...there is little doubt (in his mind) that a meaningful (10-20+hp) increase is available to the 6000rpm max hp curve of the C6. The max hp may well move up to 6150-6300, but with a decently flowing induction--I used my K&N Aircharger as a reference, even if not the absolute best out there, still far better than stock, the airpump that is an internal combustion engine must improve its efficiency with better outflow. More efficient is measured by more available hp. I know this has been argued ad nauseum--here and on the LS1 forum, I might add, but I had the same opinion before I bought the Loudmouths for my WS6 in 2000 by our chief mechanical engineer at the company I worked for then. And he was a WS6 driver too, so wanted the best for his 1999 T/A. He chose the Loudmouth and headers for the max improvement. However, he felt the Loudmouth alone was worth 10 hp over the already free flowing 2000 WS6 system. For what it's worth, but I spent $1200 on the induction and exhaust to not only improve sound--my primary goal, but get an expected 15-20 hp at the rear wheels higher in the rpm band. I believe that I will.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
Headers do add hp, but I wouldn't dismiss freer flowing (i.e., lower restriction in exhaust path) from the cat back too quickly. I work with a PhD in mechanical engineering--Porsche 911 driver, but nobody's perfect...and he said the layout of the B&B Bullets will certainly increase hp--more so the higher you go in the rpm band. Even the best flowing muffler is still significantly more restrictive than a resonator only design, B&B, SLP Loudmouth, etc. And with the sound attenuation of the stock muffler--why we all seem to complain about it...there is little doubt (in his mind) that a meaningful (10-20+hp) increase is available to the 6000rpm max hp curve of the C6. The max hp may well move up to 6150-6300, but with a decently flowing induction--I used my K&N Aircharger as a reference, even if not the absolute best out there, still far better than stock, the airpump that is an internal combustion engine must improve its efficiency with better outflow. More efficient is measured by more available hp. I know this has been argued ad nauseum--here and on the LS1 forum, I might add, but I had the same opinion before I bought the Loudmouths for my WS6 in 2000 by our chief mechanical engineer at the company I worked for then. And he was a WS6 driver too, so wanted the best for his 1999 T/A. He chose the Loudmouth and headers for the max improvement. However, he felt the Loudmouth alone was worth 10 hp over the already free flowing 2000 WS6 system. For what it's worth, but I spent $1200 on the induction and exhaust to not only improve sound--my primary goal, but get an expected 15-20 hp at the rear wheels higher in the rpm band. I believe that I will.

That's all fine and dandy but it's basically all hypothesis and theory. Yes that's where engineering starts but in the real world testing cat-backs are producing little to none in the hp department. Now this is true on a stock vehicle. Obviously the more power you make the more of a restriction the stock exhaust can become. But I don't believe most are coming anywhere near the limit of the stock exhaust. The only stock cars that I've seen make gains with a cat-back are FI cars. Turbos mostly. But most vehicles aren't pushing in enough air where the stock exhaust is holding them back. Don't go by dyno numbers from the manufacturer. Most of you know that a dyno can change up to 5-10 hp from one run to the other on the same car. Get it for looks and sound but just don't expect a sudden increase in power.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:13 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Dyno doesn't lie, but different dynos will give different results.

I put a MagnaFlow 15884 on my car and am very happy and would do it again. I just like the sound.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Cookee
Racer

I think the data supports that Hill and other smart PE`s put together a very well designed exhaust system that balances flows and backpressure without drone to deliver max hp and torgue.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Sinister Evil
Instructor

WERD!! Registered PE(CA) here...lol....no gain with exhaust(B&B bullets) saw a nice gain with LG LT's.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimman
Got nothing with before and after dyno pulls, only sound. With headers different story.
Like Jim with his dyno runs, I did back to back track runs and gained nothing with a cat-back. Gained .3 and 3 mph in the 1/8th from long-tubes though
Old 07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bunk22
Like Jim with his dyno runs, I did back to back track runs and gained nothing with a cat-back. Gained .3 and 3 mph in the 1/8th from long-tubes though
Yeah, nobody believes a cat back exhaust adds horsepower until you post your 1/4 mile times on the forum. Then people say "yeah, but you have Bullets on your car". Trust me, I've had people tell me this!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Maybesomeday312
Instructor

What kind of gains can be expected from longtube headers?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
CBB
Racer

Originally Posted by Thanos
I have heard that aftermarket exhaust yields no HP gain with our C6's. Whats the skinny with Corsa's ad(pg 47) Corvette Quartley summer 2006....More Torque & HP , especially below 4000 rpm, 22% Increase in flow over stock with valve open; 171% increase in flow over stock with valve closed. Whats the deal, does aftermarket exhaust yield any HP gains, or is this just false advertising???
I don't think its false advertising.

There was an article in "Vette" magazine October (Oct 2005) issue of Vette magazine had B&B Bullets on a stock C6 making 10.9 more horsepower & 21.5 more ft/lbs of torque vs the same exact car dynoed bone stock and on the same dyno, same day.

So yes it is indeed possible.

Bullets are pretty much a straight through design with not much of a muffler at all but a resonator. Its darn near a straight pipe. The only reason why Bullets are not on my own car is that they are too loud.

With people getting all these codes and emissions concerns associated with long tube headers, I would personally do Bullets as opposed to headers if I were going to do anything. If I got the 11 RWHP/21.5 ft/lbs RWTQ then great. If I got somewhat less than that then that would be cool too.

Last edited by CBB; 07-05-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:09 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maybesomeday312
What kind of gains can be expected from longtube headers?
Again, I gained .3 and 3 mph in the 1/8th mile. I'm guessing maybe 25rwhp and 15rwtq...peak.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

My ME friend says dynos are not real world, and that is beyond debate. Static state is not the same as underway on a car (parasite and induced drag, areas of negative or high pressure, active cooling/intake, heat throwoff, lift, cross winds, etc.) anymore than a wind tunnel is an absolute aeorbatic predictor--or dogfight, if you prefer, for a fighter. And dyno runs, with no relative wind and poor cooling effects, are rarely repeatable, which at least wind tunnels are. 1/4 mile times, as we all know, also can vary under seemingly identical conditions by .3 easily. Change temp, barometric pressure, altitude, et al and they scatter diagram all over the place. Bottom line: nobody can conclusively say, one way or the other, what affect if any an exhaust change makes. My bottom line was simple: sound. I believe there will be a hp bump as a nice side effect--both from the Aircharger and Bullets. However, ultimately I will get what I want for $1200 and that's all right with me. For the cost vs. gain from headers, I'm not interested. To each his own...
Old 07-06-2006, 10:28 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiterock1
My ME friend says dynos are not real world, and that is beyond debate. Static state is not the same as underway on a car (parasite and induced drag, areas of negative or high pressure, active cooling/intake, heat throwoff, lift, cross winds, etc.) anymore than a wind tunnel is an absolute aeorbatic predictor--or dogfight, if you prefer, for a fighter. And dyno runs, with no relative wind and poor cooling effects, are rarely repeatable, which at least wind tunnels are. 1/4 mile times, as we all know, also can vary under seemingly identical conditions by .3 easily. Change temp, barometric pressure, altitude, et al and they scatter diagram all over the place. Bottom line: nobody can conclusively say, one way or the other, what affect if any an exhaust change makes. My bottom line was simple: sound. I believe there will be a hp bump as a nice side effect--both from the Aircharger and Bullets. However, ultimately I will get what I want for $1200 and that's all right with me. For the cost vs. gain from headers, I'm not interested. To each his own...
I agree with some of what you say, but not all of it. A dyno is the best way to compare different variables. Certainly, the dyno has to be the same, and the operator has to set it up properly. This is not magic as long as they are not trying to cook the numbers. I've had cars dyno'd on the same dyno months apart and in different weather conditions, and the numbers were identical.

Sure, they can't take into account outside conditions, but that doesn't mean a comparison of a stock car to a modified car is not an accurate measurement of the difference.

Get notified of new replies

To True HP gain with Exhaust

Quick Reply: True HP gain with Exhaust