C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Management System - C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:51 PM
hddeuce
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Management System - C6

Will someone kindly explain the Torque Management system is - how it works - and what affect it has on racing the C-6.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2006, 07:53 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

senses torque at rear wheels. then retards timing and shuts trottlebody. slows you down no rear wheel power so you don't break as many parts
Old 07-02-2006, 08:40 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Trust me, nobody on this forum knows HOW it works. In fact, there is no agreement at all as to whether there even is Torque Management on C6's (especially with manual transmission).
Old 07-02-2006, 09:33 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Oh, it's there. Even on the 6mn cars. Direct from the horses (engineers) mouth, at the Bash. Costs everyone about 2 tenths zero to 60.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

It's there. I've got a lot of runs in my mn6 C5 and know how the car is supposed to feel when shifting - this C6 falls on its face when shifting. No doubt about it, feels like timing being pulled to me, hadn't thought of the throttle closing, might be that too.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Two-Lane Blacktop
Instructor

Trust me, there is a ghost in the machine, and no one likes it. Call it what you will. I feel exactly what dennis50nj described, both cars are auto, his A4 mine A6. It even kicks-in between shifts. We are all anxiously awaiting to have this spook tuned out.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 AM
hddeuce
Instructor

So hopefully we will eventually figure out how to disarm it !!!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:45 AM
ronsc1985
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Trust me, nobody on this forum knows HOW it works. In fact, there is no agreement at all as to whether there even is Torque Management on C6's (especially with manual transmission).
Truer words have not been spoken on this forum lately.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:50 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Joe_G
It's there. I've got a lot of runs in my mn6 C5 and know how the car is supposed to feel when shifting - this C6 falls on its face when shifting. No doubt about it, feels like timing being pulled to me, hadn't thought of the throttle closing, might be that too.
I've got a lot of runs in two C6's I've owned. As long as TC & AH are completely off, neither of mine has ever fallen on their face when shifting. Any one who does not believe me is more than welcome to trek on down to Houston for a ride.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsc1985
Truer words have not been spoken on this forum lately.

agreed, although, there seems to be some consensus that the possibility of it existing in the automatics is greater than of the manuals.

this has been a debated issue several times and there are believers on both sides of the fence, information shared that seems to point one way or the other but there hasn't been any definative proof that documents the workings of torque management on the c6. the closest 'official' documentation i've seen refers to 'traction control' as a form of 'torque management'. other than that, i haven't seen anything that 'spells' it out so that even the most ardent disbeliever is unable to disagree with either it's existance or nonexistance.

there appear to be 'safeguards' built into the computer that will attempt to protect the engine based upon specific readings. is that what can be called torque management, who knows.

for all intensive purposes 'knock' sensors can be considered part of torque management. get knock , timing is pulled, timing is pulled, reduction in power, reduction in power, slower time.

so now that i ran in a circle, yes TM exists in the c6..... what form is it in, who knows.....
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zig
agreed, although, there seems to be some consensus that the possibility of it existing in the automatics is greater than of the manuals.

this has been a debated issue several times and there are believers on both sides of the fence, information shared that seems to point one way or the other but there hasn't been any definative proof that documents the workings of torque management on the c6. the closest 'official' documentation i've seen refers to 'traction control' as a form of 'torque management'. other than that, i haven't seen anything that 'spells' it out so that even the most ardent disbeliever is unable to disagree with either it's existance or nonexistance.

there appear to be 'safeguards' built into the computer that will attempt to protect the engine based upon specific readings. is that what can be called torque management, who knows.

for all intensive purposes 'knock' sensors can be considered part of torque management. get knock , timing is pulled, timing is pulled, reduction in power, reduction in power, slower time.

so now that i ran in a circle, yes TM exists in the c6..... what form is it in, who knows.....

I think this sums up my opinion. I have no doubt that timing is pulled at certain times, but is that just engine tuning, or is it torque managment? What is Torque Management? If the computer is limiting torque to the factory specs (400lb ft peak), is that a problem? Or is it suddendly deciding that 300 lb ft would be a better number, so it pulls timing and throttle opening to the "C4" mode.

The only two people who are credible (in my opinion) who have given objective data indicating that what I would consider true TM have related it to running drag radials or street et's at the drag strip. In those cases, it appears that significant timing was pulled. I can understand that. Stresses are being put on the drivetrain that would not be seen with true street tires, and the stresses are sending signals to the ECU to reduce power in order to reduce the chance of breaking something.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:33 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I think this sums up my opinion. I have no doubt that timing is pulled at certain times, but is that just engine tuning, or is it torque managment? What is Torque Management? If the computer is limiting torque to the factory specs (400lb ft peak), is that a problem? Or is it suddendly deciding that 300 lb ft would be a better number, so it pulls timing and throttle opening to the "C4" mode.

The only two people who are credible (in my opinion) who have given objective data indicating that what I would consider true TM have related it to running drag radials or street et's at the drag strip. In those cases, it appears that significant timing was pulled. I can understand that. Stresses are being put on the drivetrain that would not be seen with true street tires, and the stresses are sending signals to the ECU to reduce power in order to reduce the chance of breaking something.
If it's there what are the min max torque numbers available and where are the measuring sensors? 20 mill to develope the LS series then undo it to protect a transmission, what's wrong with that picture? Then to make matters worse, introduce the LS7 with even more transmission breaking power. Mines never bogged and I just turned 50K miles.

Last edited by jimman; 07-02-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:49 AM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had TM, no doubt....or whatever it's called or is. My car would fall flat on its face with TC and AH off during shifts. Had my car tuned and it drove as it should have from the factory. Gaine.2 ET and 4 mph in the 1/8th from that alone.

Last edited by bunk22; 07-02-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

With 500+ drag strip passes in two C5Z06s and now 33 in a C6Z06, there is no question that Torque Management exists on the M6 and that it pulls power on launch and the shifts, particularly the 1-2 and 2-3.

The stock C6Z has about 90 more rwhp than the stock C5Z. But the C6Z is slower to 60' and no faster to 330' at the drag strip. Ridiculous. Shouldn't happen. The reason is that power is pulled on the C6Z by Torque Management to protect the drive train. The C6Z is not spinning the tires; it simply WILL NOT make a strong launch. And even on DR there is some bog on the 1-2 and 2-3. This occurs in TC-Off and Comp Driving Modes. I've not (and will not) tried All-Off.

Now, when TM releases the power, the C6Z takes off noticeably stronger than a C5Z. In fact, from 330'-1320' (which is all 3d and 4th gears), the C6Z registers about 6.31-6.40 seconds compared to 6.70-6.80 for the C5Z. That's more like it. Those are my times.

I suspect that I could install a fresh ECU, stock except with TM edited out, and drop 3 tenth from my quarter mile ET both on stock tires and drag radials. I might do that this Fall, if I can resolve one particular concern....

The question is whether that change would increase the likelihood of breaking the right axle shaft CV joint housing cover that is the established weak link in the C6Z drive train.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 07-02-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Two-Lane Blacktop
Instructor

Well I have run on S (no pdl shifting) with "All Off". On the 1st pass, spun, launched hard, until it was time to shift into 2nd. It stuck at 6,500 and wouldn't shift, in the milliseconds I had to decide to let off or will it shift? It slowly shifted, power was notably down, again slow shift into 3rd. Not a good experience, or pass. Went back to D/Comp that eve. Tried twice more, erratic.

Am I a dissatisfied C6 A6 owner with a 14 sec/105mph best making things up? Hardly, my 'vette drove itself to only .45 mph behind top # . Only two others on stock list clearly et quicker, 4 of us door to door and have yet to make a winter pass. That should dispel that.

Who do I believe? Both the jschindler and Joe G. camps. And what I see at the track. Why?...

Thank you for not bringing a Dyno to this thread.

Last edited by Two-Lane Blacktop; 07-02-2006 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:09 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ranger
With 500+ drag strip passes in two C5Z06s and now 33 in a C6Z06, there is no question that Torque Management exists on the M6 and that it pulls power on launch and the shifts, particularly the 1-2 and 2-3.

The stock C6Z has about 90 more rwhp than the stock C5Z. But the C6Z is slower to 60' and no faster to 330' at the drag strip. Ridiculous. Shouldn't happen. The reason is that power is pulled on the C6Z by Torque Management to protect the drive train. The C6Z is not spinning the tires; it simply WILL NOT make a strong launch. And even on DR there is some bog on the 1-2 and 2-3. This occurs in TC-Off and Comp Driving Modes. I've not (and will not) tried All-Off.

Now, when TM releases the power, the C6Z takes off noticeably stronger than a C5Z. In fact, from 330'-1320' (which is all 3d and 4th gears), the C6Z registers about 6.31-6.40 seconds compared to 6.70-6.80 for the C5Z. That's more like it. Those are my times.

I suspect that I could install a fresh ECU, stock except with TM edited out, and drop 3 tenth from my quarter mile ET both on stock tires and drag radials. I might do that this Fall, if I can resolve one particular concern....

The question is whether that change would increase the likelihood of breaking the right axle shaft CV joint housing cover that is the established weak link in the C6Z drive train.

Ranger
Ranger, when I took my first C6 to the drag strip, I made my first run in Competition mode and it did some wierd things that could have been explained as "Torque Management". I turned everything else off on the rest of my runs and no more wierdness. I can't explain why, but that's what happened.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

what you are all missing is the 60 ft times suck. most auto's cannot spin the tires of the line once heated.they work like slicks because of tm. if you can really drive you will notice it you will hear the exaust fluttering and slow exceleration only when traction is great if you spin no tm if you baby off start no tm. i have put a 3800 converter in now you no i cannot put it to floor on start so babying it of start my 60 fts are all1.7s the best so far 1.764 on run flats.before converter1.8s 1.9s flooring it Brake staling it flashing it tc ah off no tire spin.I have been in the 11s on several occasions on stock tires .so believe what you want i know tm exists. if i have gotten rid of it,with drag radials i will run 11.30 to 11.50 . If i still have it slower

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Management System - C6

Old 07-02-2006, 03:44 PM
hddeuce
Instructor

I've got a lot of runs in two C6's I've owned. As long as TC & AH are completely off, neither of mine has ever fallen on their face when shifting. Any one who does not believe me is more than welcome to trek on down to Houston for a ride.
Sorry for the "stupid" question but what are you referring to when you say "TC and AH are completely off" ??? What is TC and what is AH?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:04 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

hold button down dont let off untill you see in the drivers info center traction control and active handling off now you are doing the driving. you will hear two beeps then let off do it every time you start car and learn to drive
Old 07-02-2006, 04:52 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hddeuce
Sorry for the "stupid" question but what are you referring to when you say "TC and AH are completely off" ??? What is TC and what is AH?
Traction Control & Active Handling. By the way, quite a few people have found out that they did not know how to turn them both completely off (especially those who owned C5's before). You have to hold the button down for something like 10 seconds - until you get a message in the DIC that they are both off.

Quick Reply: Torque Management System - C6