C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More fuel for the F55 fire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 AM
tlacroix
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More fuel for the F55 fire!

To make this as short as possible. I recently read a long technical article about GM's MagneRide suspension. This suspension has been evolving substantially over the past years. The article was definitely not for anyone with only casual interest. At any rate, the author said that M-B, BMW and others would kill for this system! I took this more or less at face value.

Now in the May 22, 2006 issue of AutoWeek, in a "First Drive" article by J.P Vettraino on the new Ferrari 599, I quote from the top of the last column on page 21. "It's equipped Delphi's MagneRide active dampening system, which works by changing the viscosity of fluid in the shocks by increasing or decreasing a magnetic field. Manffredi (Ferrari V12 director of development) says MagneRide is simple, lighter and faster than active systems that adjust shock valving. It has no mechanical parts, and response time is one millisecond.

What ever your opinion on the Corvette suspension controversy, it's pretty clear that a company with a reasonably good performance/handling reputation, seems to think that GM magnetic dampening is not nearly as lousy a system as many Corvette owners seem to!

I know this is a much more complicated discussion than we can resolve but apparently the guy who wrote the technical article, regarding M-B and BMW, must have had a valid point!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 AM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you kidding me? Does this mean my car WILL have some resale value, even though it's slower and I have no urge to add aftermarket emblems???
Guess I'll keep it

F55

F55
Old 05-24-2006, 01:25 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no doubt that the F55 technology is first rate. The issue that I have is how they applied it to the C6. What I mean is even though F55 is superior to the Z51 and Z06 shocks in terms of ride and handling compromise(not necessarily facts just my own personal opinion) they tuned it to have not that firm of a ride. An ideal setup for me would be F55 technology tuned for the rest of the Z51 or Z06 suspension. I read that GM had some concerns over sustained performance/durability in a track oriented enviroment and that is why they would not put this on a Z51 or Z06 suspension.

Something tells me they could have gotten around this if they really wanted to(extra cost?). Ferrari considers the technology good enough to use something similar with very firm settings.

Last edited by rfopt; 05-24-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:00 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

One of the first things I noticed about my handling after I lowered the rear of my F55 by the bushing cut method was that the Tour/Sport settings seemed farther apart. You can really tell a major difference.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've often wondered if the F55 firmness issue is a power problem. It takes increasing power to thicken the fluid. If I'm not mistaken the system is already at about 5 amps per corner at 12v, and in an academic paper I read a couple years ago the firmness increase as voltage is applied is not linear, and really flattens out after 5 amps. So it might be that F55 is as firm as current MRF technology allows.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:06 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

See I told you Just keep it factory stock and let the F-55 do the rest as it will keep all 4 tires on the ground.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Irv
I've often wondered if the F55 firmness issue is a power problem. It takes increasing power to thicken the fluid. If I'm not mistaken the system is already at about 5 amps per corner at 12v, and in an academic paper I read a couple years ago the firmness increase as voltage is applied is not linear, and really flattens out after 5 amps. So it might be that F55 is as firm as current MRF technology allows.
Interesting info!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:14 PM
tlacroix
Instructor

Default F55 suspension

Originally Posted by CYA-Vett
Are you kidding me? Does this mean my car WILL have some resale value, even though it's slower and I have no urge to add aftermarket emblems???
Guess I'll keep it

F55

F55
I don't know if I'd go quite that far!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:21 PM
tlacroix
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfopt
There is no doubt that the F55 technology is first rate. The issue that I have is how they applied it to the C6. What I mean is even though F55 is superior to the Z51 and Z06 shocks in terms of ride and handling compromise(not necessarily facts just my own personal opinion) they tuned it to have not that firm of a ride. An ideal setup for me would be F55 technology tuned for the rest of the Z51 or Z06 suspension. I read that GM had some concerns over sustained performance/durability in a track oriented enviroment and that is why they would not put this on a Z51 or Z06 suspension.

Something tells me they could have gotten around this if they really wanted to(extra cost?). Ferrari considers the technology good enough to use something similar with very firm settings.
I know what you are saying. I put the Baer Eradispeed (sp?) rotors on my F-55 and am about to replace the sway bars with those from a Z06.

My preference is a little better handling and a little rougher ride - with the MagnaRide shock system! We're not stuck with a suspension or brakes which are unalterable. In the racing businness this is known as suspension tuning (to meet your needs) or set-up.

Last edited by tlacroix; 05-24-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:26 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Firmness feel can be something of an illusion. Yeah, "feels great", but does it really perform? At Nurburbring the F55 lapped fastest when set in touring, not sport. Also, on the C5, when Z51 and F55 had the same tires (I believe the cars were otherwise the same unlike C6 Z51), the F55 lapped fastest. A case could be made that all that stuff added to the Z51 for C6 was to keep up with the F55. So... they could keep selling all that stuff.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by LS WON
See I told you Just keep it factory stock and let the F-55 do the rest as it will keep all 4 tires on the ground.
Oh damn ! LS WON found where the Jack Daniels was hidden.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 PM
tlacroix
Instructor

Originally Posted by scrannel
Firmness feel can be something of an illusion. Yeah, "feels great", but does it really perform? At Nurburbring the F55 lapped fastest when set in touring, not sport. Also, on the C5, when Z51 and F55 had the same tires (I believe the cars were otherwise the same unlike C6 Z51), the F55 lapped fastest. A case could be made that all that stuff added to the Z51 for C6 was to keep up with the F55. So... they could keep selling all that stuff.
That is a possibility (especially with the right tires). I have no knowledge of the Nurburbring results. I would say, however, Ferrari's willingness to pay GM for the system speaks volumes about its worth as a performance piece. I would doubt, however, that Chevrolet uses the F55 on its race cars.

Feel is indeed easy to confuse with going faster. My Shelby is (I think) slightly faster than my C6 in the 1/4 mile but ride in both and you'd swear the Shelby would win by a huge margin! Accelerating the Corvette from 0 - 115 MPH is a wonderful, controlled experience. Running the Shelby through the quarter mile is a all-consuming adventure.

Last edited by tlacroix; 05-25-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:04 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

If I had bought my C6 with track use in mind I absolutely would have gotten the Z51 option, it is beautifully set up for the track. Where Corvette is going with the Mag suspension in the future is unclear -- would love the Z51 options + mag suspension. I hear the software for the '06 mag suspension has been altered to give more immediate "feel" when set to sport. Again, illusion time. I hope they don't wreck the technology chasing the market.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:52 PM
tlacroix
Instructor

Default F55 suspension

Originally Posted by scrannel
If I had bought my C6 with track use in mind I absolutely would have gotten the Z51 option, it is beautifully set up for the track. Where Corvette is going with the Mag suspension in the future is unclear -- would love the Z51 options + mag suspension. I hear the software for the '06 mag suspension has been altered to give more immediate "feel" when set to sport. Again, illusion time. I hope they don't wreck the technology chasing the market.
I agree completely. In fact I ordered a Z51, waited until the 2006s were going to be built, then cancelled the Z51 order, and after much reflection, ordered the 2006 F55.

I put the Bear rotors on it and have ordered the Z06 sway bar kits, so I really have kind of a hybrid Z51/F55. I'm obviously interested in how stiff the ride will be and how much the cornering will change. I figure that for $171, I got the sway bar kits, if I don't like them, I'll switch back - no big loss!

Also, the service life and cost of the MagnaRide shocks are a real concern!

Last edited by tlacroix; 05-25-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:45 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

I had no doubts about the F55 suspension, it's the main reason I treded my '05 for a '06 since I couldn't get the '05 (within my timeframe) with F55.

I wonder when a certain member who is also beating on F55 guys will come in here and dispute these facts?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:53 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very close to ordering a 2007.(about an hour) I was wondering about any service trouble with the F55. Has anyone had any trouble? If so, was it quickly repaired by the dealer?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:23 AM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvcrash
I'm very close to ordering a 2007.(about an hour) I was wondering about any service trouble with the F55. Has anyone had any trouble? If so, was it quickly repaired by the dealer?
From what I've read on the forum there seems to be little to no problems with the system. I recall one driver had a bad central unit (not a direct shock problem) that was replaced under warrantee. GM says should last life of the car -- whatever that is. They seem to be fairly bullet-proof.

Get notified of new replies

To More fuel for the F55 fire!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

F-55 is the best option
No problems whatsoever at 10,000 miles.
Get it especially if you have to travel on bad roads it is like an extra margin of safety and comfort.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Astronomer
Pro

Originally Posted by tlacroix
I know what you are saying. I put the Baer Eradispeed (sp?) rotors on my F-55 and am about to replace the sway bars with those from a Z06.

My preference is a little better handling and a little rougher ride - with the MagnaRide shock system! We're not stuck with a suspension or brakes which are unalterable. In the racing businness this is known as suspension tuning (to meet your needs) or set-up.
I did the same. But used Z51 sway bars instead. Also installing the extra coolers. (Not sure about the gearing in the rear end though)
Old 05-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Astronomer
Pro

I love the F55!

Quick Reply: More fuel for the F55 fire!