C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:09 AM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Procharger

C6 Z51. I am all the way leaning to a Procharger.

I would appreciate hearing from other C6 Procharger owners in the forum.

How much was unit and install, any problems, miles you have been using it, etc. \

Many thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ProCharger P1SC installed at A&A Covette - Parts & labor = $9K turnkey (includes Ca. tax). $550 for boost & fuel gauges installed. Thus far, 4500 miles with no major issues (at one time, I had "reduce engine power" warning when I hit the rev limiter...so far it hasn't happened again).

Don't forget to change the compressor's oil after the first 500 miles and every 6K from then on. Also, recheck the belt tension after the first 100 miles and re-tighten as needed and keep doing this every subsequent 100 miles until you no longer see any slackening; after one or two further tightenings it should stabilize.

I try to avoid strenuous operation while the unit is cold, better to let the engine reach full operating temps before pushing it making sure the compressor bearings and impeller are oiled.

Keep in mind that the D1SC kits are $200 more than the P1SC, upgrading a P1 thru ATI is approx. $1200. If I've known this at the time of my purchase, I would have sprung for the D1 kit....fortunately, Andy has D1s in stock, so we talked about doing a swap. Later down the road, a forged motor & D1SC is a potent 700rwhp combo.

Wait a minute...I thought PI's drive Ferrari's. j/k

Good Luck!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Richard brought up some VERY good points @ the D1SC choice... I would strongly suggest listening to his advice... My advice, is only listen to those who actually have a S/Ced C6. Several people in the past chime in on this topic, however most don't have a S/Ced C6 or TT C6, but they'll try to tell you what you should do... My car has the ATI kit, like Richard's, and I'm very happy with my choice... My mods (with more coming) currently have me at 620rwhp @5.5psi using the P1SC kit modified by 21st Century Muscle Cars to my specs... The stock kit should come with high temp silicone couplers, self adjusting clamps, 60lb mototron injectors, and a boost a pump, but it doesn't, so if you want to do it right these are nice additions to consider and there are many more upgrades as well...
Jeremy
Old 05-06-2006, 04:52 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Old 05-06-2006, 07:38 PM
LagunaC7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LAPI, Is your car an A6, A4, or M6? I too am considering the ATI path but have an A6 so I am not sure if it would be wise.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:19 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I am completely satisfied with my ProCharger. With ATI I also have KOOKS, X pipe-no cats, Fast intake and Kenne Bell fuel booster. 521 RWHP, my only problem is choosing proper rear wheel and tire. Holding out for 19 " drag radial but can't wait much longer. No doubt you will be pleased.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

C6 Z51 A4 w/Procharger, FAST, Kooks + hi flow cats, GHL exhaust. Even after going to Z06 sized rear tires, the power's just plain scary (which means I love it!).
Other issues: Lots of squeal from belt that came with kit. Switched to Goodyear gatorback belt and updated pulley design with lip on edges so belt won't walk - that made a big difference. Also, get used to your front air dam scraping, as this sits lower after Procharger install (eventually the pavement sands it down for you as you drive it). Make sure they tune it so fans come on earlier, as Procharged cars will run hotter.
Here it is on paper...
Old 05-06-2006, 10:14 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c5grandsport
C6 Z51 A4 w/Procharger, FAST, Kooks + hi flow cats, GHL exhaust. Even after going to Z06 sized rear tires, the power's just plain scary (which means I love it!).
Other issues: Lots of squeal from belt that came with kit. Switched to Goodyear gatorback belt and updated pulley design with lip on edges so belt won't walk - that made a big difference. Also, get used to your front air dam scraping, as this sits lower after Procharger install (eventually the pavement sands it down for you as you drive it). Make sure they tune it so fans come on earlier, as Procharged cars will run hotter.
Here it is on paper...

The air dam is usually trimmed 1/2" to 5/8" by ProCharger installer.
Great numbers by the way.

Last edited by saplumr; 05-06-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Diver Dave
Advanced

I have an 05 Z51 with an ATI Procharger, Kooks Longtubes ORP with Corsa Sport exhaust. I added a Kenny Bell fuel boost system. A MUST! Don't want the possibility of the motor to run lean. I am running 505RWHP. The great thing is that the system is all bolt on and it costs around 9K. Yes, the front end does ride a little lower, but like the previous post, the installer should trim the bottom lip about a 1/2 inch or so. Wow what an upgrade
Old 05-07-2006, 01:22 PM
LOS ANGELES PI
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you very much, that helps alot.

I noticed you installed back in 05, how many miles on teh car since?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:18 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Default What About Resale?

How badly is your resale value going to be hurt by having done these mods? Or do you think you'll get the typical Blue Book value [I]plus[I] something extra for the mods? It seems to me that heavily modified sports cars lose not only the value of the mods themselves, but also get more heavily depreciated because of the perceived "abuse". Care to weigh-in on this subject for a ProCharger wannabe?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:32 PM
web1
Instructor

heh-heh, you guys are scary fast

(just envious)
Old 05-07-2006, 03:34 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

If a major well known tuner did the install, I cant tell you that you will get more than book value. In the case of an S/C, I have seen the kits sell used for 75% of their original cost so returning the car back to stock and selling it that way will be an option. Putting the car up for sale in the forum section is also good if you are well known and had the work done by a forum tuner.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
How badly is your resale value going to be hurt by having done these mods? Or do you think you'll get the typical Blue Book value [I]plus[I] something extra for the mods? It seems to me that heavily modified sports cars lose not only the value of the mods themselves, but also get more heavily depreciated because of the perceived "abuse". Care to weigh-in on this subject for a ProCharger wannabe?

I installed the ProCharger and other mods because I wanted them. I couldn't care less about resale value. You should make the car what YOU want. So.....GO FOR IT!
Old 05-07-2006, 05:56 PM
C2Jeff
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I installed the ProCharger and other mods because I wanted them. I couldn't care less about resale value. You should make the car what YOU want. So.....GO FOR IT!
I like your way of thinking but the fiscal conservative part of me says otherwise. We'll eventually see which part of my personality wins out. Anyone want to predict the outcome? I'll be sure to contact you personally before the year's out if I succumb to mod-addiction or if I start my own chapter of "Modaholics Anonymous".
Old 05-07-2006, 11:45 PM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Jeff
How badly is your resale value going to be hurt by having done these mods?
Let's see...Choice #1:
Be worried about resale oh, no, resale resale resale!

Or Choice #2:
Leave clouds of tire smoke and love your car every minute you're in it without worrying what some other guy might pay for it years from now...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:36 AM
c6nut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by saplumr
I am completely satisfied with my ProCharger. With ATI I also have KOOKS, X pipe-no cats, Fast intake and Kenne Bell fuel booster. 521 RWHP, my only problem is choosing proper rear wheel and tire. Holding out for 19 " drag radial but can't wait much longer. No doubt you will be pleased.
I have been checking on this. Hoosier makes a 19" autocross tire that they told me acts like a DR but I found something else. The problem with the Hoosiers is it will throw your speedo off by 7mph. No Good.

Our current F1 EMT are a 360 tread count. The Yokahama Advan is a Almost identical size tire with a 180 tread count. THis means it is way softer than our stock tires. I just did a Procharger last week and love it. I will be getting tha Advan's.

Get notified of new replies

To Procharger

Old 05-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Brabus2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LOS ANGELES PI
C6 Z51. I am all the way leaning to a Procharger.

I would appreciate hearing from other C6 Procharger owners in the forum.

How much was unit and install, any problems, miles you have been using it, etc. \

Many thanks.
Just wanted to add since I mentioned the D1SC head unit on one of my post, that this particular ProCharger head is not CARB Certif. in California.

Thanks!
Richard
Old 05-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Lexicon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 07 On Order - SC Questions

My 07 is on order.

I want to put on one of the SCs but I don't want to change anything else.

This is a GT car so I like it quiet.

How much noise do you get from the SC when cruising?

If you guys with an SC can ever keep it mellow - what mpg do you get?

I have looked at the kits out there but typically there are components in a kit that may not be the best or other items that you "should" get with a SC. I think a boost pump is a must and probably guages.

I am concerned about the tune. How can a simple flash re-tune work for all the different injectors, exhausts, etc? What does it really take to tune a C6.

Is there a shop in Oregon, Washington, or Colorado that can do the work?

I want to get this stuff lined up.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You can detect a slight whine at low RPM, but when I hit the go fast pedal all you're gonna hear is KOOKS and Corsa. I also had to install Kenne Bell fuel booster. The ProCharger comes with it's own tune. At 521 RWHP and 491 RWT I am averaging 18.5 mpg city as long as I drive sensible, (I avoid interstate driving to keep down paint chipping) however with the larger fuel injectors if you use much pedal it can drop quickly. I installed electric fuel and boost gauges with A-pillar pod, but you can install cheaper mechanical boost. I would suggest purchasing ProCharger 3 year warranty, which includes enough supercharger oil for 6 changes at a mear $49.00. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Procharger