C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another radar question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Rufus00
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some on here will probably hate me for this. I'm a LEO and certified to operate radar. In my state, to be certified we have to estimate within three miles per hour how fast the target vehicle is traveling without a radar. We have to do this numerous times and from numerous positions. If we estimate wrong more then three times, we fail the test and are not allowed to operate radar. The radar is actually used to confirm our estimation. This also helps us make sure we are clocking the correct vehicle. To be technical, I can write a ticket without using radar and it will stand up in court. It is very hard to beat a speeding case in my state. Radar won't 90 degrees from the target, but from 45 degrees it works. Just in case you don't know, radar can operate from front and rear, same lane and same direction. I usually give people 15 mph over the limit. I don't even turn the radar on until I see a target vehicle traveling at 15 mph over the limit. In other words, when your detector goes off, you have been clocked. Hope this helps a little.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

No hate, useful information. Dosn't the radar at 45 degrees give a "slower" reading than actual. 15 over is reasonable but I wish it were more like allowing 80 mph for people who are driving on a limited access highway attentively, responsibly and in a well maintained car. It might feel like Europe.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With all the track dates availbale, why speed on the street.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
youngs98
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry B.
I don't see how a radar unit of any type can work from the side... Like when a trooper hide in a row of trees and puts the gun on you when you go by. I think you could fight that in court because I don't think it can measure speed form the side.
the short answer after beating this dead horse is....if the police car is positioned perpindicular to the road you are traveling on, the copper most likely has the gun in his hand and pointed out the side window at you...then it's not a 90 degree angle.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:52 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

In my case a car 2 lanes over blew by me as I was passing a truck going 55mph. LEO sees 86mph on the radar looks in the rear view and sees me passing the truck and assumes it's me. We had a very heated discussion on the side of the freeway. At first I refused to sign the ticket. When he realized I was dead serious he calmed down and reminded me that my signature is not an admission of guilt. I calmed down a litte(very little) signed and drove off.

I'm not trying to say I drive 65mph all of the time...but this time I was.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
DrivnXcitment
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Totally not trying to steal a thread, but here is my question in a very similar matter. I was clocked by an LEO at 79mph. My actual speed according to my HUD was 74mph. By the way this was in a 55 (mississippi highway so obviously no traffic around). He proceeds to ask me for my license only. He never looks at my insurance and on the ticket he lists my car as an 06 (which my car is an 05). Mississippi requires that all drivers have auto insurance. So my question with a 5mph discrepancy, not even checking if I had insurance, and getting the year wrong on the vehicle, do I have a chance of beating something like this in court. This is how sweet the cop was. I was on my way home from house shopping at my future duty station. I was shipping off to the Persian Gulf on the 4th of January and it was the first time I was going to see my family in a year (I had just been on a deployment the year before and was slammed full for the remainder of the year during my workup cycle). How's that for Christmas spirit. Oh by the way the ticket was on the 22nd of December. Ok my ranting is done, anyone think I can beat this ticket with the aforementioned discrepancies????
Old 04-04-2006, 12:43 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by timd38
With all the track dates availbale, why speed on the street.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:54 AM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Rufus00
...to be certified we have to estimate within three miles per hour how fast the target vehicle is traveling without a radar. ...very hard to beat a speeding case in my state. Radar won't 90 degrees from the target, but from 45 degrees it works. ...give people 15 mph over the limit. I don't even turn the radar on until I see a target vehicle traveling at 15 mph over the limit. In other words, when your detector goes off, you have been clocked. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks Rufus - we will keep your identity SECRET
Old 04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
RaDaRkInG
Racer

In other words, when your detector goes off, you have been clocked. Hope this helps a little.
Not exactly guy. Cops usually clock people about 1/2 mile away and the Valentine One can pick up police over 11 miles away on a straight away that is flat or about 1-3 miles under normal conditions. As soon as you start using instant-on radar on the guy that is miles in front of me, I know you are there. Instant-on radar is a killer but you have to keep a "rabbit" in front of you to take the hit so you don't get the ticket.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaDaRkInG
Not exactly guy. Cops usually clock people about 1/2 mile away and the Valentine One can pick up police over 11 miles away on a straight away that is flat or about 1-3 miles under normal conditions. As soon as you start using instant-on radar on the guy that is miles in front of me, I know you are there. Instant-on radar is a killer but you have to keep a "rabbit" in front of you to take the hit so you don't get the ticket.

shhhh! Don't let the other side know about that.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:20 PM
JFTaylor
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

I know some on here will probably hate me for this. I'm a LEO and certified to operate radar. In my state, to be certified we have to estimate within three miles per hour how fast the target vehicle is traveling without a radar. We have to do this numerous times and from numerous positions. If we estimate wrong more then three times, we fail the test and are not allowed to operate radar. The radar is actually used to confirm our estimation. This also helps us make sure we are clocking the correct vehicle. To be technical, I can write a ticket without using radar and it will stand up in court. It is very hard to beat a speeding case in my state. Radar won't 90 degrees from the target, but from 45 degrees it works. Just in case you don't know, radar can operate from front and rear, same lane and same direction. I usually give people 15 mph over the limit. I don't even turn the radar on until I see a target vehicle traveling at 15 mph over the limit. In other words, when your detector goes off, you have been clocked. Hope this helps a little.
And by the way.

Most of us really appreciate the job you do for us all. Takes a special person to do what you do. I, for one, would be suspended within a month. And that's if I could make it out of the training program.

Again Man, Thank You for what you do

Quick Reply: Another radar question.