C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Z51 tire wear after 30K miles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 03:26 PM
RyanC7
Le Mans Master

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts

Good to know and good to see you drive your car, that is what it is ment for.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanC6
Good to know and good to see you drive your car, that is what it is ment for.
Yes and got it March 4, 2005 and lovin every second of it. Didn't think they could improve on the C5 but I was wrong.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:53 PM
Black Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimman
I wait for the key words, "RunCraps" then make an offer. Just got a set of 4 brand new F1's for 850 delivered. To be perfectly honest, love these tires, predictable, stick good and no flat worries.
May I ask where did you get the set of F1's for $850.
Thanks Jeff
Old 11-29-2005, 07:03 PM
SickRick
Drifting

8K off the first set of SC rears, 8,500 off the 2nd set. 15K off the fronts. I threw GS-2 RF's on the front, and a set of GS-2's going on the rear this week. (300 treadwear vs. 220). I like the way the GS-2's handle/ride on the fronts better than the SC's. We'll see how much better they wear.

Rick
Old 11-29-2005, 07:26 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Black Vette
May I ask where did you get the set of F1's for $850.
Thanks Jeff
A guy from NY wanted to get rid of his runcraps and put on something else, who was I to argue.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Good post Jimman. Have you had the front end aligned or is it still as it came from the factory?
Old 11-29-2005, 07:43 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Good post Jimman. Have you had the front end aligned or is it still as it came from the factory?
Actually got into a fender bender on the right front and had an alignment done. Was concerned about it but didn't seem to change much. I wanted them to check it first before they unbolted anything but not sure if I trusted them to do that. I just wanted it left alone if at all possible because the wear was dead nuts even on the front. I changed to a lower pressure on the rear do to the centers wearing faster. With my 02 I ran 27 and had perfect even wear on the rears, 67000 on that set of fronts and rears. We do a lot of high speed mountain runs out here and I don’t baby them at all. I find that the handling is perfect and predictable even more so than the C5. Just having a hard time with some of the tire wear reports.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Fang S-289
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by schilitj
got 11,800 from my OEMs, replaced them with BFG KDW2s and like the results. How did you get 30K? I've been driving vettes since 1993 and have never gotten more than 12k! Most of my driving is city driving, I know this driving is harder on the tires than long distance driving, but.............

I don't understand that either. I just replaced mine at 20K and they were thin! I only lit the tires up *ONE* time since I got it, and I don't mean a massive burn out at all. I do enjoy the Z-51 option and I corner fairly aggressivly, but never drift it or let it slide at all. The Goodyears are IMHO bordering on treachererous in the rain! I replaced them with BFG G-Force T/A KDWs and they are a HUGE improvement. Also as an unanticipated benefit, they are amazingly quiet.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:53 AM
TAG-D IT
Instructor

Had been running 30 cold for half their life but changed to 29 front and 28 rear.

We do a lot of Corvette runs in the mountains on weekends, spirited runs. About 50-50 on highway vs city. At least one redline a day but not 1st gear stuff with burnouts.

I noticed in another poast that you said you got your car in march of 05. well here we are 9 months later, and you have over 30k miles on your car. Well, since Windows comes with "Calculator" i thought i'd let you know that that is on avarage over 110 miles EVERY DAY since you bought the car. you may do spirited runs now and then, but i'm willing to bet that of those 30k miles on your tires, over 25k is highway cruisin. I got 6k out of my supercar run flats (like most other forum members), and was thrilled about it. i drove the car like i stole it and i thought the tires were sticky as hell in the warm. i never did one burn out or even drove without traction control on. (my BFG's are a different story entirely)

i'm just waiting for the thread that says "Why didnt my tires last 30k mi. like their supposed to?!?!?!"
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TAG-D IT

I noticed in another poast that you said you got your car in march of 05. well here we are 9 months later, and you have over 30k miles on your car. Well, since Windows comes with "Calculator" i thought i'd let you know that that is on avarage over 110 miles EVERY DAY since you bought the car. you may do spirited runs now and then, but i'm willing to bet that of those 30k miles on your tires, over 25k is highway cruisin. I got 6k out of my supercar run flats (like most other forum members), and was thrilled about it. i drove the car like i stole it and i thought the tires were sticky as hell in the warm. i never did one burn out or even drove without traction control on. (my BFG's are a different story entirely)

i'm just waiting for the thread that says "Why didnt my tires last 30k mi. like their supposed to?!?!?!"
Starting out with BS signs or calling me a lier is totally uncalled for. I live in the City and Drive San Diego/LA every day. I average 50K miles per year and have for over 20 years. I would suggest getting a city map and see how large San Diego is, just to one account round trip is 87 miles. That one was done 3 times today.

Last week: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

week before: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

week before that: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

and week before that: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

Unfortunetly the other 10 outings I deleted.

Also check out this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...5&forum_id=101

Last edited by jimman; 11-30-2005 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:45 AM
TAG-D IT
Instructor

Starting out with BS signs or calling me a lier is totally uncalled for. I live in the City and Drive San Diego/LA every day. I average 50K miles per year and have for over 20 years. I would suggest getting a city map and see how large San Diego is, just to one account round trip is 87 miles. That one was done 3 times today.

Last week: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

week before: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

week before that: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

and week before that: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...2312&members=1

Unfortunetly the other 10 outings I deleted.

Also check out this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...5&forum_id=101
Apperently there was a misunderstanding. I wasn't calling you out on the amount of driving you do. Clearly you spend a lot of time in your car. I understand that. I love my vette also. What I was saying was that I didnt believe that you do 50-50 city/highway driving. Thats all. I didnt want any prospective corvette buyers to get the wrong idea about tire life. I appologise if I came off too harsh.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:36 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TAG-D IT
Apperently there was a misunderstanding. I wasn't calling you out on the amount of driving you do. Clearly you spend a lot of time in your car. I understand that. I love my vette also. What I was saying was that I didnt believe that you do 50-50 city/highway driving. Thats all. I didnt want any prospective corvette buyers to get the wrong idea about tire life. I appologise if I came off too harsh.
Not a problem, if you look at the tire poll you will see that there are a fair percentage getting some good mileage also. I do believe that the earlier C6 production runs had a bit of a tire quality issue in regard to wear. Seems like the later production runs are getting better wear. I will get an easy 40K on the fronts the rears should be changed now but they spin great and I get a rush on the 2nd gear fishtail.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
69and88
Instructor

How about better alignment control as a possibility, or a change in alignment........
Old 12-02-2005, 07:16 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 69and88
How about better alignment control as a possibility, or a change in alignment........
Not sure how to answer that one, seems like the stock and stock recommended settings work just fine. Had mine aligned twice for other reasons do to some fender damage with no change in wear performance.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

I hear ya, have a new set to go on. Nice about CA not much of any rain and one gets a nice fish tail on the 2nd gear shift.
Watch out for those cops in the mountains!!
Old 12-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Buffy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure how to answer that one, seems like the stock and stock recommended settings work just fine. Had mine aligned twice for other reasons do to some fender damage with no change in wear performance.
Mine's not too far off, but I need a fair bit more negative camber in front and some in back. Tires wearing toward the outside. I'm around .75 front .25 rear now, think I'll try 1.5 front / 1.0 rear and see how that does. These tires are too low for much camber, so I think I'll dial it in a bit at a time.

Quick Reply: Stock Z51 tire wear after 30K miles.