C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why an X-pipe? Indulge me please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:22 AM
DonaldK
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Why an X-pipe? Indulge me please!

"Helped" build my '06 Friday (23rd). At one point, I stood under the car holding the factory "X-pipe" and asked if all of them have the connecting cross-over (4" or so) exhaust piece as mine did. Answer: yes!

What is the difference between aftermarket and the factory X-pipe? Both have a cross-over connector.

BTW - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! I'll share shen I figure how to post pics.

Tying to get ready for delivery in 10-12 days!! Z-51/6spd/VR/BLK/BLK vert.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

Don K
Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Both the H-pipe and the X-pipe allow both sides of the exhaust piping to be used to move exhaust gasses out of the way of the next set of exhaust gasses.

The American V8s all have 90 degree crankshafts (also known as 360 degree CS). This gives rise to the burble of the american v8s. This crankshaft arrangement gives better secondary balance in the engine and leads to smoothness; but results in an uneven firing order and exhaust order LRLLRLRR.

THe H-pipe and the X-pipe allow the doubled up pulses to utilize the 'other' pipe for smooth exhaust performance and lower back pressure. The H-pipe only works in the lower RPM range and effectively turns off when the RPMs get above a certain point. The X-pipe does not have a high RPM cutoff point and works across the whole RPM band.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:04 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My question is: Is there a reason the firing order can't be LRLRLRLR?
Old 09-26-2005, 12:17 PM
andreas g.
Drifting

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Default x-pipe Tech

H-Pipes are cheaper to make so factories make the cheapest possible. Since exhaust gages don't really like to make Right and Left turns, H pipes don't work as well as x-pipes. When exhaust gases pass over the x-pipe the crossing over effect aids in scavenging the combustion chambers of exhaust gases. Which aids in the filling velocieties of the incomming charge, ie better performance. It's nothing great ,but it does increase torque, and HP.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry for the newbie question. Does the Vette have a factory H-pipe? And so an X-pipe would aloww better exhaust flow?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:17 PM
Guppies
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'14, '21

Originally Posted by Buddy A
Sorry for the newbie question. Does the Vette have a factory H-pipe? And so an X-pipe would aloww better exhaust flow?
Correct on the factory H-Pipe - also, the backfiring while decelerating with an H-Pipe connected to anafter market exhaust is an invitation to be pulled over in some areas. The X-pipe greatly reduces (if not eliminate entirely) the backfiring.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:26 PM
ein Tier
Melting Slicks

Location: Austin, Texas Codes 660, 9448, and 295660 work in the C6 navigation unit. No DVD playback yet.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what exactly causes the poping and crackling when you do an abrupt lift-off of throttle or use engine braking?

'Cause I really, really like it.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:49 PM
DonaldK
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Default I think I got it!!!!

Thanks for the answer to my original question. I guess I understood the reason for connecting the two exhaust pipes - I just did not realize that the flow through/across the connector would be that much better with an "X" configuration that across the factory "H" configuration. The post that explained 90 degree vs. 45 degree turns makes some sense to me. Does anyone have dyno numbers on the difference???

Again thanks to all the Vette nuts on this forum!!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:44 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk

The 90 degree crankshaft has 'better' balance because (in laymans terms) each bank always has one cylinder {ac,de}celerating near TDC, one {ac,de}celerating near BDC, one traveling downward and one traveling upwards. The cost is rotational weight (crankshaft balancing weights) and a lack of equally spaced firing/breathing order.

The 180 degree crankshaft has two cylinders {ac,de}celerating at TDC/BDC and two cyclinders {ac,de}celerating at TDC. It is bascially 2 4 cyolinder inline engines on a common crankshaft. The 'flat plane' architecture uses the other bank to provide secondary balance to the engine whereas the american V8 uses cylinders within each banck for secondary and tertiary balance.

The 'flat plane' which does have LRLRLRLR firing order has the advantage of equally spaced exhaust and intake periods, but has about 4 times as much vibrational energy then the 90 degree crankshafts. Racing engines (e.g. not NASCAR) use 180 degree cranks because they are stronger and lighter and the don't really care if the drivers feel all vibrated up at the end of a stint. So does Ferrari and did Lotus when they had a V8.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:45 PM
jrjen2
Racer

It is good to finally read a post where everyone answering the question doesn't just beat the guy up for asking. I learned something new today about X-pipes.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:20 PM
wlee013
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Both the H-pipe and the X-pipe allow both sides of the exhaust piping to be used to move exhaust gasses out of the way of the next set of exhaust gasses.

The American V8s all have 90 degree crankshafts (also known as 360 degree CS). This gives rise to the burble of the american v8s. This crankshaft arrangement gives better secondary balance in the engine and leads to smoothness; but results in an uneven firing order and exhaust order LRLLRLRR.

THe H-pipe and the X-pipe allow the doubled up pulses to utilize the 'other' pipe for smooth exhaust performance and lower back pressure. The H-pipe only works in the lower RPM range and effectively turns off when the RPMs get above a certain point. The X-pipe does not have a high RPM cutoff point and works across the whole RPM band.

Thanks for layman explanation. I understand the reason for X-pipe now.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
The 90 degree crankshaft has 'better' balance because (in laymans terms) each bank always has one cylinder {ac,de}celerating near TDC, one {ac,de}celerating near BDC, one traveling downward and one traveling upwards. The cost is rotational weight (crankshaft balancing weights) and a lack of equally spaced firing/breathing order.

The 180 degree crankshaft has two cylinders {ac,de}celerating at TDC/BDC and two cyclinders {ac,de}celerating at TDC. It is bascially 2 4 cyolinder inline engines on a common crankshaft. The 'flat plane' architecture uses the other bank to provide secondary balance to the engine whereas the american V8 uses cylinders within each banck for secondary and tertiary balance.

The 'flat plane' which does have LRLRLRLR firing order has the advantage of equally spaced exhaust and intake periods, but has about 4 times as much vibrational energy then the 90 degree crankshafts. Racing engines (e.g. not NASCAR) use 180 degree cranks because they are stronger and lighter and the don't really care if the drivers feel all vibrated up at the end of a stint. So does Ferrari and did Lotus when they had a V8.
Thanks Mitch

I knew about the Xpipe and firing order but just never gave it enough thought as to why.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:25 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like visuals...these pics show how gases will flow much more efficiently for the X pipe over the H pipe>>>

Michael
Old 09-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk

yes.. no... well actually......

I believe you would need a different crank, and new programming, etc. etc. etc.

I've also wondered what it would be like if both of the cylinders that are at/near tdc fired. maybe i'm wrong but last time i heard you will have two pistons in firing position during a cycle but only one of them fires. yes, it would take a custom cam, since you would need to open open more than one set of valves, etc. etc. etc. but just wondering what it would do for power output. would it in essence double the output ??
Old 09-28-2005, 02:34 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Great answers by those who responded in this thread.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:08 AM
rmitchell242
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zig
yes.. no... well actually......

I believe you would need a different crank, and new programming, etc. etc. etc.

I've also wondered what it would be like if both of the cylinders that are at/near tdc fired. maybe i'm wrong but last time i heard you will have two pistons in firing position during a cycle but only one of them fires. yes, it would take a custom cam, since you would need to open open more than one set of valves, etc. etc. etc. but just wondering what it would do for power output. would it in essence double the output ??

maybe you would have more like a big cubic inch 4 cylinder
Old 09-29-2005, 10:13 AM
dshaner1
Pro

Thanks everyone who's posted....I have learned a lot. It has been explained that the X pipe will add power and torque in the upper RPM's over an H pipe...any idea how much? I am considering buying the B&B headers to go with my factory exhaust with Magnaflow cans, and perhaps I should invest in the B&B X pipe as well?!?!?!

I am thinking it would add 2-5 RWHP over stock, am I close

Also, Is the factory H pipe 2.5" in diameter? How about buying one of the Magnaflow prefabricated universal X pipe sections (they are only about 12" long) and welding that in place of the factory H-pipe. This seems like a cost effective way of upgrading to an X pipe...thoughts

Last edited by dshaner1; 09-29-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why an X-pipe? Indulge me please!

Old 09-29-2005, 10:18 AM
dshaner1
Pro

Originally Posted by dshaner1

Also, Is the factory H pipe 2.5" in diameter? How about buying one of the Magnaflow prefabricated universal X pipe sections (they are only about 12" long) and welding that in place of the factory H-pipe. This seems like a cost effective way of upgrading to an X pipe...thoughts
What are your thoughts on something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/X-PIP...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-29-2005, 10:18 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dshaner1
Thanks everyone who's posted....I have learned a lot. It has been explained that the X pipe will add power and torque in the upper RPM's over an H pipe...any idea how much? I am considering buying the B&B headers to go with my factory exhaust with Magnaflow cans, and perhaps I should invest in the B&B X pipe as well?!?!?!

I am thinking it would add 2-5 RWHP over stock, am I close
There was a dyno day at a major Exhaust Manufacturer in Orange county CA a couple of years ago. The end of the day was the before and after with one their systems. I remember them having a tech review with a cutaway system explaining the X pipe in their system and how it works. Well when they did the before and after with relearn they lost 8 rwhp, got to love it. Of course that was with a C5 and the C5 didn't seem that responsive to Exhaust schemes.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:39 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

While there is some interesting information in this post, I think there is also some information left out.

Does anyone really believe that with todays computer controlled manufacturing process, that there is any differnce in manufacturing cost? I seriously doubt it.

I can address why it is an "H" pipe from the factory. If you go back about four years ago in the C5 section of the forum, there were a great many posts about this. It was pretty well documented that the "H" was to eliminate what I will call a sound issue in the exhaust. It's been a while, so I don't remember all the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that it was sound related - not performance or cost.

There have been many posts, but very little concrete infomation on actual performance differences. In fact, like Jimman said, it's seems like there were actually some posts indicating performance losses. In fact, at one time, B&B told me they would not make one (for the C5) because they never found a gain. I know they make one for the C6 - I don't know if they found a gain, or just decided that if people were going to buy them, they might as well jump on the band wagon.

I have never tried one, so please understand that this is all just my memory of the experiences on C5's.

Quick Reply: Why an X-pipe? Indulge me please!