C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4th Dead Battery What To Do Next

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 11:00 AM
ajfruscia
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Dead Battery What To Do Next

Well it has happened again...this is the 3rd time (MY, 6sp, 1sb, Mg ride, XM, onstar, etc) I have pulled the 46 relay after the first dead battery, changed the battery after the second (still with the 46 relay out), I have no clue what to do after the 3rd (New battery, no 46 relay). every time I've taken it to the dealer (2 different dealers) they say nothing is wrong with it! "The car is meant to be driven". EVERYDAY? My car does not sit more than 2 days at a time. I have tried every shutdown sequence? E-brake first than reverse, reverse first than e-brake, etc. etc. Always locking the steering wheel.

NEED HELP! HAS ANYONE gotten to the bottom of this?
Old 08-11-2005, 11:14 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell GM to give you a new car. Or put a quick disconnect on the battery. The only problem is your presets will be lost everytime you disconnect the battery.

Randy
Old 08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

There's a fellow in Bowling Green by name of Kevin Tarrence who's supposed to be a Customer Assistance Contact of last resort. You might try him. Dont have his direct number but you can try thru the museum switchboard...800-538-3883. If you do get a response from him, please let us all know.

Dave
Old 08-11-2005, 12:08 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

put a current meter in series with the battery and car to see how much current is flowing. When I travel mine can sit for a week in the parking ramp, no problem. The dealer screwed it up twice by not leaving it in reverse but other than that you seem to have a leak somewhere
Old 08-11-2005, 12:11 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ajfruscia
Well it has happened again...this is the 3rd time (MY, 6sp, 1sb, Mg ride, XM, onstar, etc) I have pulled the 46 relay after the first dead battery, changed the battery after the second (still with the 46 relay out), I have no clue what to do after the 3rd (New battery, no 46 relay). every time I've taken it to the dealer (2 different dealers) they say nothing is wrong with it! "The car is meant to be driven". EVERYDAY? My car does not sit more than 2 days at a time. I have tried every shutdown sequence? E-brake first than reverse, reverse first than e-brake, etc. etc. Always locking the steering wheel.

have you added any aftermarket parts the use power from the battery. the best check is to put a amp meter between the -terminal of the battery and the cable and see what the reading is,it should be less than .5 amps after a short peroid of time. if more pull fuses till the draw goes away and you will find your problem. my C-6 sets for 4 weeks while we go to fla and it starts when i come home
Old 08-11-2005, 12:44 PM
ajfruscia
Advanced

Originally Posted by clem zahrobsky
have you added any aftermarket parts the use power from the battery. the best check is to put a amp meter between the -terminal of the battery and the cable and see what the reading is,it should be less than .5 amps after a short peroid of time. if more pull fuses till the draw goes away and you will find your problem. my C-6 sets for 4 weeks while we go to fla and it starts when i come home
No after market parts...i've sat with the technician at the dealership while it was hooked up to an amp meter it sat for 4 hour every time we shut it down it fell well within factory specs. Could it be electronics either from my garage door openers or even from my car that parks next to it in the garage? It usually goes about 1 month between dead batteries…
Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
ajfruscia
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave S
There's a fellow in Bowling Green by name of Kevin Tarrence who's supposed to be a Customer Assistance Contact of last resort. You might try him. Dont have his direct number but you can try thru the museum switchboard...800-538-3883. If you do get a response from him, please let us all know.

Dave
thanks i will give it a try
Old 08-11-2005, 01:09 PM
punchkick
Cruising

Default this works for me

when I drive the car into my garage, I put the gear in reverse, and make sure that it will move in reverse sometimes it could be in 3rd gear, and then pull up on the hand break and shut the radio and air off, also the head lites all off ,, this is what I had been doing and the car has sat there for like 5 days with no poblems.... try this might help out good luck....
Old 08-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ajfruscia
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...8&forum_id=101

This will solve your problem of dead batteries, but it skirts the real, as yet unknown reason(s) for DBS. Someone on this forum apparently got GM to pay for it!
Old 08-11-2005, 01:38 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I had a number of battery discharge events with my Z-51 6 spd. I have not had an event since I pulled relay #46, but I also methodically do the following:

1. Put car in reverse and back it up a bit in the garage to be sure.
2. Put E brake on while running
3. Shut off radio or anything else.
4. Shut off car
5. Lock the steering column
6. Lock the car with the key fob.

I believe this process formally puts the car to bed. This has worked for me for a few months now.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 PM
ajfruscia
Advanced

Originally Posted by capevettes
I had a number of battery discharge events with my Z-51 6 spd. I have not had an event since I pulled relay #46, but I also methodically do the following:

4. Shut off car

I believe this process formally puts the car to bed. This has worked for me for a few months now.
I will follow your lead...unfortunaly I have been doing the same with the 46 relay already out (minus the lock w/ FOB) maybe that will do it. If not who the #$%@! knows...
Old 08-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Lemon Law and get a new car.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:48 PM
rosecustom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C6 arrives tomorrow so I'm shooting from the hip. Do C6's have any lighting under the hood? If so perhaps the bulb stays on all the time. Just pop the hood and see if the bulb is hot. Happened to a friend of mine in 1972 on his new torino - but of course they had mercury switches.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rosecustom
My C6 arrives tomorrow so I'm shooting from the hip. Do C6's have any lighting under the hood? If so perhaps the bulb stays on all the time. Just pop the hood and see if the bulb is hot. Happened to a friend of mine in 1972 on his new torino - but of course they had mercury switches.
One only wishes it would be this simple!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:31 PM
iluvmyc6
Instructor

Originally Posted by capevettes

4. Shut off car

i have been following this procedure religously. Only 1 DBS so far. Sure would be nice to know GM built it this way... if i didn't enjoy the car so much, I would sell it over this issue. worrying weather it will start or not when you want to use it sux. BAD DESIGN GM! makes me want to rip out all of the computers they have in there and add a key and a throttle cable.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:41 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by iluvmyc6
i have been following this procedure religously. Only 1 DBS so far. Sure would be nice to know GM built it this way... if i didn't enjoy the car so much, I would sell it over this issue. worrying weather it will start or not when you want to use it sux. BAD DESIGN GM! makes me want to rip out all of the computers they have in there and add a key and a throttle cable.

If it were a bad design woudn't we all be having this problem. 19.5K and no issues, car sits a week at time.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

There are some new thoughts appearing on cell phones/chargers. Maybe a combination of off-brand cellphone chargers' interference causing the DBS. This doesn't really explain the increased frequency of DBS's in 6 speeds, though. My DBS problem stopped about the time I gave my cellphone to my wife.

Get notified of new replies

To 4th Dead Battery What To Do Next

Old 08-11-2005, 11:07 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I had it happed once in the first month after I got the car Aug 04, since when parking in my garage I make sure it's fully in reverse and put the parking brake on then shut it down.

I have never had a problem since, I assume I caused whatever happened to drain the battery but I guess I will never know. I was in that getting used to the car time.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 PM
HighwaySpeed
Burning Brakes

Sell Car

Buy C6 A6 '06
Old 08-11-2005, 11:29 PM
jterp
Racer

so wait... I'm trying to follow this issue, but I can't figure out what parking with the tranny in reverse has to do with the battery???

Quick Reply: 4th Dead Battery What To Do Next