C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NGK-TR55 plugs installed @ .060

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 01:30 AM
KGB6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NGK-TR55 plugs installed @ .060

I installed these sparkplugs over the weekend in my C6 with only 2300 miles.

First of all, I’ve experimented with sparkplug gaps in a previously owned car that I had an aftermarket high energy ignition system installed on. I learned through experience that bigger gaps work better, up to a point, provided the ignition can deliver the juice.

Well, improvement can be had; I've had the plugs in for four days now and the car actually runs better. There's no dramatic power increase or anything like that, but what is noticeable is improved engine response, smoothness, and I’m noticing the engine revs quicker through the gears now. I’m also noticing the car is running haul-*** fast more consistently now – sometimes when I’m driving around my car doesn’t always run as fast as I think it should.

If appreciate a smooth responsive engine, give the plugs a shot. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the results. The sparkplugs are cheap and relatively easy to installed.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:10 AM
2000Firehawk
Instructor

Yes,
.060 works just fine, & you get max energy from the ignition system, for max power & fuel mileage.
After 3 years & 15,000 miles, my NGK gapped at .060 in my LS1 still look perfect, & the car runs super strong.
But, even though they look/run fine, & put in a new set.
I guess 3 years is my limit, didn't really have to change them out.

Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 10:22 PM
aggie88
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the TR55s the iridiums? I had a set of the NGK iridiums on my LT1 and can confirm the effects you posted on your C6 were realized on my LT1 too. I also insalled iridiums on my Mercedes ML320 and sar an astounding improvement in part throttle response and about 1 mpg better fuel economy. I wanted to install the NGK iridiums on my C6 but was informed in this forum that the LS2 is already iridium equipped. But your findings changes my perspective on this. Thanks for the post!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:53 PM
drrichie
Burning Brakes

Boy those guys at GM can't get anything right $63k and cheap plugs!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:22 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KGB6
I installed these sparkplugs over the weekend in my C6 with only 2300 miles.

First of all, I’ve experimented with sparkplug gaps in a previously owned car that I had an aftermarket high energy ignition system installed on. I learned through experience that bigger gaps work better, up to a point, provided the ignition can deliver the juice.

Well, improvement can be had; I've had the plugs in for four days now and the car actually runs better. There's no dramatic power increase or anything like that, but what is noticeable is improved engine response, smoothness, and I’m noticing the engine revs quicker through the gears now. I’m also noticing the car is running haul-*** fast more consistently now – sometimes when I’m driving around my car doesn’t always run as fast as I think it should.

If appreciate a smooth responsive engine, give the plugs a shot. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the results. The sparkplugs are cheap and relatively easy to installed.
Where's the data?
Old 08-11-2005, 12:24 AM
KGB6
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie88
Are the TR55s the iridiums? I had a set of the NGK iridiums on my LT1 and can confirm the effects you posted on your C6 were realized on my LT1 too. I also insalled iridiums on my Mercedes ML320 and sar an astounding improvement in part throttle response and about 1 mpg better fuel economy. I wanted to install the NGK iridiums on my C6 but was informed in this forum that the LS2 is already iridium equipped. But your findings changes my perspective on this. Thanks for the post!
NGK TR55-IX Iridium Spark Plug
NGK TR55 = Copper Spark Plug
Old 08-11-2005, 12:26 AM
KGB6
Instructor

Originally Posted by calemasters
Where's the data?
I didn't realize it was a requirement; I'm not selling anything.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:38 PM
prc6vette
Racer

Is the TR55 the standard heat range?

The plugs look like a total PITA to change out.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:41 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

These plugs are a piece of cake compared to the LS1 F-Body. I can actually see the C6 plugs and get a wrench on them, not true on the F-body.

Get notified of new replies

To NGK-TR55 plugs installed @ .060

Quick Reply: NGK-TR55 plugs installed @ .060