C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has completely removed a Bose system

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 07:41 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Default who has completely removed a Bose system

I am trying to gather info on the Bose system to convert my 1sa car to the Bose stereo. I just talked to a dealer and according to his book, here are all of the components that make up the system (note that at first he mentioned each speaker has its own amp which I knew differently and then he looked somehwere else and came up with this):

1-6 disk changer
2-3.5 inch front speakers
2-10 inch front speakers which also serve as the subwoofer (s)
2-5.25 inch rear speakers
1 amp under the passenger seat for the front speakers
1 amp in the rear somewhere for the rears

He didn't see anything else about any additional sub woofers. The second amp in the back is in fact new to me though. Anyone actually replaced an entire system that can confirm or deny the existence and or location of all of the components?

Any of you that have already received your service manuals, how about looking in there for me.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 09:41 PM
archtop
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cerino2000
I am trying to gather info on the Bose system to convert my 1sa car to the Bose stereo. I just talked to a dealer and according to his book, here are all of the components that make up the system (note that at first he mentioned each speaker has its own amp which I knew differently and then he looked somehwere else and came up with this):

1-6 disk changer

He didn't see anything else about any additional sub woofers. The second amp in the back is in fact new to me though. Anyone actually replaced an entire system that can confirm or deny the existence and or location of all of the components?

Any of you that have already received your service manuals, how about looking in there for me.

Thanks
When you change out the stereo in the C6 its necessary to leave some components in ( in the case of the 1sa system I had it was the power amp under the dash) since they are integrated into the computer system.Changing to the Bose completly is very complicated and will require a programing download from your dealer,Vin#s and all kinds of codes.I looked into having the dealer install the bose in my 1 sa car and they said it would be rediculously expensive,so much so that I would be better off selling the car and buying a new one with the Bose installed.I went with a custom alpine system and its the best mod I ever did,blows away the factory bose and I have xm.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Lerxst2112
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ack ack ack! If you're going to rip out your dash, don't install a supposedly "upgraded" FACTORY system. Go aftermarket. Friends don't let friends buy Bose. See a qualified installer, or if you're competent check out Crutchfield among others. Ack again.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Dallas Vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Stop acking...ooocrap, my head's still on fire...ACK!
Old 06-29-2005, 10:21 PM
Dallas Vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

On a note of contributable worth, my Helm manuals will be here tomorrow (Ack!)
Old 06-29-2005, 10:26 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

I actually like the Bose system. It is looking more and more complicated to deal with though. I asked my dealer about the Vin thing and was told that is only with the Nav based units.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Is there really a big difference between the BOSE Premium Stereo system

Other than one has a single CD player unit and the BOSE has a 6 indash CD player and the speakers say "BOSE" across them. What is the differences between these two systems and is there a big difference in SOUND?
If I recall correctly if you got the 1SA package you didn't get the BOSE system.
You had to get the 1SB package to get the BOSE system.
Then another question comes to mind who makes the stereo that comes with the 1SA package?

Last edited by LS WON; 06-29-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:23 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Other than one has a single CD player unit and the BOSE has a 6 indash CD player and the speakers say "BOSE" across them. What is the differences between these two systems and is there a big difference in SOUND?
If I recall correctly if you got the 1SA package you didn't get the BOSE system.
You had to get the 1SB package to get the BOSE system.
Then another question comes to mind who makes the stereo that comes with the 1SA package?
All of the stereos, other than the NAV, are made by Delphi (used to be called Delco). The NAV is made by Denso. Bose isn't the manufacturer of any of the stereos available for the Corvette. They just license the Bose name to GM.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:15 AM
jdavis
Drifting

Cerino, don't even think about doing this. Although the Bose set up is pretty good, it isn't great either. You will be far better off expense wise as well as sound quality to select a good aftermarket system. In fact, I'm considering changing the 1SB in my car to a Pioneer unit. Check with a good audio shop in your area. I think that you will be much happier in the long run.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:33 AM
OttoNP
Racer

The Nav radio is made by Denso and the other radios are made by Siemens.

To change to Bose you are pretty close...

I don't know how different the actually speakers are verses Bose label, but the software in the radio can be changed for all the radios with a Tech 2 with CANDi module, so if you can use a Tech 2 you wouldn't need a new radio, unless you wanted the 6 disc or Nav. If you got the Nav you'd have to get the GPS antenna too. You'd definitely need the Bose Amp. I think the "amp" in the rear is actually the XM module, making that optional as well if you wanted XM.

You may have problems getting a different radio because of that exchange program, though I don't know for sure.

1-6 disk changer
Old 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

That makes sense about the rear. The parts guy when looking at it said it 'looked' like another amp. What programatically happens with the Tech 2 to 'convert' it to a Bose set up?

you guys that are going aftermarket are free to do so but I have seen the prices that you are spending. I believe I will be able to switch my system out to the 1sb setup for under $400, and that's considering that I would need to get another head unit which it sounds like I don't need. Compared to the $3000 set ups that I have seen aftermarket, I realllllllly like the Bose. I don't need a top of the line system but the 1sb is considerably better than the 1sa set up and if I can get it cheap enough, then it is likely worth the effort.

Originally Posted by OttoNP
The Nav radio is made by Denso and the other radios are made by Siemens.

To change to Bose you are pretty close...

I don't know how different the actually speakers are verses Bose label, but the software in the radio can be changed for all the radios with a Tech 2 with CANDi module, so if you can use a Tech 2 you wouldn't need a new radio, unless you wanted the 6 disc or Nav. If you got the Nav you'd have to get the GPS antenna too. You'd definitely need the Bose Amp. I think the "amp" in the rear is actually the XM module, making that optional as well if you wanted XM.

You may have problems getting a different radio because of that exchange program, though I don't know for sure.

1-6 disk changer
Old 06-30-2005, 11:41 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default I am inclined to go aftermarket just for a better quality sound system and more CD's

to load...larger CD capacity and better FM reception ..But I don't want alot of headaches or computer problems since they have tied the stereo into everyting in this car somehow someway everything is set up so if you mess with one thing everything usually goes amok
For those of you who have made this transition do you still have the feature that came with the Corvette stereo it will go up in volume when the noise level increases and when the noise level/road noise decreases the volume automatically goes down. By going aftermarket do you give this feature up? Have you had any computer problems or any problems since going aftermarket?
Old 06-30-2005, 11:47 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default So in other words the two stereos offered for the 2006 C-6

Originally Posted by shopdog
All of the stereos, other than the NAV, are made by Delphi (used to be called Delco). The NAV is made by Denso. Bose isn't the manufacturer of any of the stereos available for the Corvette. They just license the Bose name to GM.
Are the same stereo systems made by the same manufacturer Delphi?
What are the differences between the two stereo systems other than the CD capacity?
Strange thing my fan belt is made by Mitsubishi on the C-6 not Good Year, or Delphi
Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
bt944
Instructor

Can I simply swap out the head unit of my 1SA to the 1SB unit and reprogram it?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:38 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

No, it sounds like at the very least you need the amp. Possibly the speakers too.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:13 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Well, I got my service manuals today and checked out the radio section. The Bose system does not have two amplifiers. Just one, under the passenger carpet and they call it a "Bose Module". More importantly, the pin-out on the connector is different for the Bose system vs the non Bose system.

For example, in one system, B3 is a drain where in the other it is the Right Rear negative signal. That said, I don't think this switch could be easily done.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:54 AM
bt944
Instructor

Well, I got my service manuals today and checked out the radio section. The Bose system does not have two amplifiers. Just one, under the passenger carpet and they call it a "Bose Module". More importantly, the pin-out on the connector is different for the Bose system vs the non Bose system.

For example, in one system, B3 is a drain where in the other it is the Right Rear negative signal. That said, I don't think this switch could be easily done.

Well thats answers it. thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To who has completely removed a Bose system

Old 07-06-2005, 08:07 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

well, ironically, I found a complete system today priced right. I am going to give it a shot and post the details if and when I get it done.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Lerxst2112
Racer

Originally Posted by Dallas Vette
Stop acking...ooocrap, my head's still on fire...ACK!

Sorry, I was just going to do the grin, but the board won't allow a 1 character reply.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Lerxst2112
Racer

That makes sense about the rear. The parts guy when looking at it said it 'looked' like another amp. What programatically happens with the Tech 2 to 'convert' it to a Bose set up?

you guys that are going aftermarket are free to do so but I have seen the prices that you are spending. I believe I will be able to switch my system out to the 1sb setup for under $400, and that's considering that I would need to get another head unit which it sounds like I don't need. Compared to the $3000 set ups that I have seen aftermarket, I realllllllly like the Bose. I don't need a top of the line system but the 1sb is considerably better than the 1sa set up and if I can get it cheap enough, then it is likely worth the effort.
That is a pretty good price. Impossible, installed, methinks, but if you can get it, go for it. I was just referring to the fact that if you *must* change the system, might as well change it to better quality than factory stuff. I've still got my "Hi-Po" Bose in the C5. Not too happy with it either; my girlfriend's Buick Rendezvous will blow it out of the water. But I'm afraid to have dash work done, seems like it never comes back quite right... and though I could do it myself, probably wouldn't get that right either.

Quick Reply: who has completely removed a Bose system