C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone who has had a dead battery!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 04:26 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Anyone who has had a dead battery!

Well I got the bug. DEAD BATTERY. I back in the garage so it is always in reverse when I exit.

If it has happened to you where you able to jump it and drive it to the dealer or did it have to be flatbeded???? My dealer is about a 24 mile drive.

thanks
Old 06-05-2005, 04:51 PM
spikalcat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me about 3 weeks ago...in my garage. GM Roadside Assistance came out and was able to jump it without a problem using a portable jump unit. The guy came in a flatbed just in case, but thankfully it wasn't needed.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:03 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

What was the problem. Batery or something else and did you drive it in to the dealer.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:06 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedC6
Well I got the bug. DEAD BATTERY. I back in the garage so it is always in reverse when I exit.

If it has happened to you where you able to jump it and drive it to the dealer or did it have to be flatbeded???? My dealer is about a 24 mile drive.

thanks
Well, I just had it today for the first time. I've put more than 5,000 miles on it since I got it in the end of December, and have never had a problem.

I haven't driven it for about 5 days. I've gone that long before, but never had a problem with the battery.

I just popped open the rear hatch by using the key in the keyhole above the license plate. Then I pulled the tab on the left side of the cargo area (there's one for the driver's door and one for the gas cap door) to open the driver's door, then opened the hood and put a battery charger on the battery.

I was hoping I was immune to the Dead Battery Syndrome, but I guess no one is. I'm gonna get a battery charger/tender pigtail and hook it permanently to the battery and run it out somewhere in the right wheel well or the front grill area so, in the future, all I'll have to do is plug in the battery charger without needing to open the hatch or door at all.

As far as going to the dealer, I'm not going to bother with them. They would tell me that the battery is now charged up and send me on my way. If I suspect a bad battery, I'll just go and get an Optima.

Bob
Old 06-05-2005, 06:05 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

I don't see why you should have to keep a charger on it even if you don't use the car for 5 days!

My other car sometimes sits for a week to 10 days and it cranks right up.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Most likely there's a glitch that leaves a circuit open, drawing the battery down over a night, or so.
They just haven't figured it out yet.
It could be as simple a fix as a software upgrade in the future.
In the meantime, it seems that a battery tender to keep the battery charged, or one of those electronic dealie-bobs, that keep the battery from going below 11.9 volts (I forgot the name) would be advisable.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:44 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

I drove the car all afternnon on Friday and It was dead Sunday Morning. Any validity to the bad relay #46
Old 06-05-2005, 09:26 PM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I drove the car all afternnon on Friday and It was dead Sunday Morning. Any validity to the bad relay #46
6speedC6,
I have had the dreaded DBS 3 times now. First time I thought I had forgot to get it in reverse so I charged the battery and didn't give it another thought. The very next weekend after setting in the garage on its lift for 6 days, bam DBS again. Took to the dealer and tested on 2 different testers and there was only 2 miliamps of draw and battery tested good both under load and not loaded. Dealer replaced the battery to get rid of me. 7 days later that's right DBS again. This time I pull relay/fuse 46 and recharge. Knock wood not one problem since, it has been three weeks since last DBS. Just my experience not saying it will work for all.
Bob
Old 06-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

I've been good for a few months since pulling #46. 3 DBS's before that. I really don't know if that's really the problem, though.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:20 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Mine is still at the dealer. My car didn't have relay 46. Dealer can't get mine to discharge while they have it. Random event that is hard to diagnose. Why should I have to put a battery charger on a $52,000 car when it sits for a couple of days. These GM wizards really ought to figure this out!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:03 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Originally Posted by capevettes
Mine is still at the dealer. My car didn't have relay 46. Dealer can't get mine to discharge while they have it. Random event that is hard to diagnose. Why should I have to put a battery charger on a $52,000 car when it sits for a couple of days. These GM wizards really ought to figure this out!

I love the car But I haven't had a days enjoyment in two months of ownership
Old 06-06-2005, 06:57 PM
iluvmyc6
Instructor

For me, I use my C6 as a daily driver.

I leave on Monday and drive to the airport. I fly backhome on Friday. My C6 is waiting in the airport garage... Maybe it will start.. Maybe it won't.

I added a quick start charger to my car that I keep behind the passenger seat in case I get the DBS. I only had DBS 1 time, but it can happen again. There is no power outlet for me to plug into at the Airport Garage, so a battery tender is out.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:15 PM
billywallstreet73
Pro

where did you get the quick start charger? and how does it work and how much? Mine died today when I got it tinted.I'm sure the tint guys probably took it out of reverse or something.Starts up fine so far ,but Id like to have a backup if I get stuck with it dying on me late at night when I get out of work.It sucks that we have to worry about something so stupid on these great cars.Gm just cant seem to solve the battery problem.First it was the leaky acid on our c5s and now the c6 has another battery problem.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iluvmyc6
For me, I use my C6 as a daily driver.

I leave on Monday and drive to the airport. I fly backhome on Friday. My C6 is waiting in the airport garage... Maybe it will start.. Maybe it won't.

I added a quick start charger to my car that I keep behind the passenger seat in case I get the DBS. I only had DBS 1 time, but it can happen again. There is no power outlet for me to plug into at the Airport Garage, so a battery tender is out.
Surprise! This ain't the car for you.
Gosh I hope they find the cure soon.
And, your definition of a daily driver is a little off there.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
WALLY'S YELLOW C6
Intermediate

Mine went dead once.. I pulled the battery out of the C6 and brought it to dealer who I bought the car from.. They gave me new battery in a few days and I installed. Since then, I bought a battery tender for about 70 bucks
Old 06-07-2005, 03:57 PM
C6Witch
Advanced

Originally Posted by TN 2005 C6
6speedC6,
I have had the dreaded DBS 3 times now. First time I thought I had forgot to get it in reverse so I charged the battery and didn't give it another thought. The very next weekend after setting in the garage on its lift for 6 days, bam DBS again. Took to the dealer and tested on 2 different testers and there was only 2 miliamps of draw and battery tested good both under load and not loaded. Dealer replaced the battery to get rid of me. 7 days later that's right DBS again. This time I pull relay/fuse 46 and recharge. Knock wood not one problem since, it has been three weeks since last DBS. Just my experience not saying it will work for all.
Bob
Ditto - 3 times for me...replaced battery after second time by dealer...I KNOW I did not leave it out of gear. The third time happened this morning on my way to work - thank goodness I have an extra car. I am soooo close to bagging this car, but for the life of me I can't find one better!!!! I might try the charging unit idea, but I agree that a $50k car should not need one if it only sits for 3-5 days!
Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Well dealer called and as expected they can't find a problem with the battery or any system. They did replace my hatch button. As soon as I get it home I will pull out relay #46!!!!!! I refuse to spend money on a charger because they can't find out why these cars go dead. If it continues and for three times I will start Lemon law proceding.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone who has had a dead battery!

Old 06-08-2005, 02:15 PM
D_Nyholm
Intermediate

Why would it be necessary to leave the car in gear in order to make sure the battery doesn't go dead? I leave all my cars in neutral in the garage since I have parking blocks that I drive on to that hold the car in place. Sorry for the newbie post...
Old 06-08-2005, 03:03 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual transmission cars must be in reverse when shut down, or the shutdown sequence is not satisfied and the car is left in accessory mode. It's part of a column lock safety "jury rig" that GM put in. No one likes it, but that's not the problem in most of these random DBS cases. I think we have enough people who haven't had problems after pulling the relay 46 to give us a good indication that relay 46 is probably the cause (or whatever is in that unneeded circuit).

For those wanting some extra measure of protection, just get a Priority Start module. No car should go dead even sitting for weeks on end, and you certainly shouldn't have to charge it daily/manually. Just get a Priority Start and you'll be guaranteed that your battery will not run down dead and you'll always be able to start the car up and be on your way. If you ever let anyone else drive your car or even work on it at the dealer, you can't be sure they will park it in reverse. A battery tender can't save you from that, but a Priority Start can.

No affiliation... just happy with mine. And, since pulling relay 46, my Priority Start has never had to intervene and mine regularly sits for a week or more without being driven.

Mike
Old 06-08-2005, 03:29 PM
billywallstreet73
Pro

I might have to try that proirity start gizmo.My battery just got replaced today at 2,400 miles.He said it had a bad cell,but I will always in the back of my mind worry a little about a late night battery failure.2 failed batterys in one year on my 00 vert I had and now one on my 05 after 2 weeks of ownership.No wonder GM is struggling to keep market share.

Quick Reply: Anyone who has had a dead battery!