C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of oil comes in the C6 from the factory?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 10:40 PM
jchazr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What kind of oil comes in the C6 from the factory?

Just wondering if it's synthetic or not.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:52 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Mobil One of course. Jimmy
Old 05-27-2005, 11:08 PM
jchazr
Racer

Aren't you suppose to use mineral oils for the break-in period?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The owner's manual says to use synthetic oil that meets GM standards. Why would GM put one kind of oil in it, only to tell you to use something else? Not many of us want to intentionally void our warranty.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Vegas Sam
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 97 Posts

No offense, but geez, open the damn hood and look at the oil filler cap.....
Old 05-28-2005, 01:30 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jchazr
NO!!! If you're constipated, take some mineral oil, but don't put it in a car!
Old 05-28-2005, 03:10 AM
jchazr
Racer

My vette's still on order
Old 05-28-2005, 06:15 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default It comes with motor oil

Originally Posted by Vegas Sam
No offense, but geez, open the damn hood and look at the oil filler cap.....

Old 05-28-2005, 07:04 AM
sununix69
3rd Gear

Dude wow, holy crap are you serious?

Where the living heck do you get mineral oil from?

what I am about to say are magic words heed them "10W30 Fully Synthetic" and use Mobil one, or if you can afford it get Redline And oh yeah, you need to put gas in the car too.
Old 05-28-2005, 05:37 PM
jchazr
Racer

I think some of you are misunderstanding what I meant by "mineral-oil." Mineral oil is another term for your natural, non-synthetic, conventional oils. I'm not sure what you thought I meant.

In the future I will use the term "conventional oil" rather than "mineral oil" since it throws some of you off. Sorry.

I have heard and read that it is better to break in an engine using conventional oil, versus synthetics which they say are too slick to allow for proper wear-in/break-in/ring-seal-in. The literature I have read was not specific to corvettes, but cars in general. Basically, use conventional oil for the break in period, and then switch over to synthetic.

I will repeat that I do not have a corvette yet, it is on order. What this means is that I cannot simply go out to my garage and open the hood as some of you have suggested, even after I stated that I did not have a corvette. I guess some people just like to be smart-a$$es.

Since I now know that the vette comes with synthetic, GM obviously doesn't believe in the whole conventiona-oil-for-break-in process. Either that or GM used conventional oils to break the engine in at the factory, and then switched to synthetic.

Any comments/opinions on this?
Old 05-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Vegas Sam
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry, I'm just a smartass in general.

Seriously, all 'Vettes have had Mobil One as the factory fill since at least '92, maybe longer.
I know all LT1 cars had it, and the Callaway Twin Turbo cars in the '80's came with it.

As stated previously, most of the "break in" on a new car these days is to help seat the gears in the rear and transmission, and to help bed in the brake pads. The engines are run in at the factory, so they don't require much in the sense of the traditional break in process.
Enjoy your car when it arrives! It took me six weeks of searching before finding mine.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I think some of you are misunderstanding what I meant by "mineral-oil." Mineral oil is another term for your natural, non-synthetic, conventional oils. I'm not sure what you thought I meant.

In the future I will use the term "conventional oil" rather than "mineral oil" since it throws some of you off. Sorry.

I have heard and read that it is better to break in an engine using conventional oil, versus synthetics which they say are too slick to allow for proper wear-in/break-in/ring-seal-in. The literature I have read was not specific to corvettes, but cars in general. Basically, use conventional oil for the break in period, and then switch over to synthetic.

I will repeat that I do not have a corvette yet, it is on order. What this means is that I cannot simply go out to my garage and open the hood as some of you have suggested, even after I stated that I did not have a corvette. I guess some people just like to be smart-a$$es.

Since I now know that the vette comes with synthetic, GM obviously doesn't believe in the whole conventiona-oil-for-break-in process. Either that or GM used conventional oils to break the engine in at the factory, and then switched to synthetic.

Any comments/opinions on this?
When you get your car and the owner's manual, RTFM. Best suggestion anyone can give you.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sununix69
"10W30 Fully Synthetic"
Minor correction, but the proper weight is 5W30. Well, that's what is on the engine oil filler cap.

I just change the oil and when I read your post, I became worried that I put in the wrong weight oil.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:30 AM
KCMOTOXXX
Advanced

I am an engineer and raced motorcycles professionally for years at times wrenching on my own bikes. Break-in was always done with "dino" based oils then a switch to synthetic after break in. If you break in with synthetic the rings would not seat and the engine would essentially never break in resulting in less HP because of a lack of ring seal which translates to compression.

I am not a betting man but if I were I would bet my Vette that the engine came already broke in (pre run) or with a "dino" base oil with the synthetic placard and assumption that all who purchase would use synthetic at the first first oil change.

FYI- Shell rotella T- synthetic oil has the same exact properties as Mobil 1 and cost about 6 bucks a gallon at wal-mart. I use it in all my vehicles... after break in.

Good question? Unfortunately I do not think you can get the answer unless somebody knows somebody at the engine plant. KC
Old 05-29-2005, 02:26 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Just go ahead and buy that new Mobil One 5W-30 extended life synthetic oil.

You can buy a case of it at costco for 24.00
Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 PM
C4kid94
Racer

Originally Posted by KCMOTOXXX
I am an engineer and raced motorcycles professionally for years at times wrenching on my own bikes. Break-in was always done with "dino" based oils then a switch to synthetic after break in. If you break in with synthetic the rings would not seat and the engine would essentially never break in resulting in less HP because of a lack of ring seal which translates to compression.

I am not a betting man but if I were I would bet my Vette that the engine came already broke in (pre run) or with a "dino" base oil with the synthetic placard and assumption that all who purchase would use synthetic at the first first oil change.

FYI- Shell rotella T- synthetic oil has the same exact properties as Mobil 1 and cost about 6 bucks a gallon at wal-mart. I use it in all my vehicles... after break in.

Good question? Unfortunately I do not think you can get the answer unless somebody knows somebody at the engine plant. KC
Completely agree with you, i even started a thread on this. i hate when people are so closed minded and refuse to believe anything but the owners manual and what those idiots at the dealerships say, with out even reasearching the topic

i think everyone should check out this site http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 05-30-2005, 09:19 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KCMOTOXXX
FYI- Shell rotella T- synthetic oil has the same exact properties as Mobil 1 and cost about 6 bucks a gallon at wal-mart. I use it in all my vehicles... after break in. KC
Good luck if you need to make an engine related Warranty claim, since according to the Shell Rotella website, it doesn't meet GM4718M, The GM synthetic oil spec for C5 and C6 corvettes.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:20 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C4kid94
Completely agree with you, i even started a thread on this. i hate when people are so closed minded and refuse to believe anything but the owners manual and what those idiots at the dealerships say, with out even reasearching the topic

i think everyone should check out this site http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
So, you drained the Mobil 1 from your 94, and replaced it with dyno oil for a break-in interval?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Good luck if you need to make an engine related Warranty claim, since according to the Shell Rotella website, it doesn't meet GM4718M, The GM synthetic oil spec for C5 and C6 corvettes.
That web site also doesn't say anything about aluminum engines. Guess I'll wait until they are ready to pay me for abusing my engine and no longer being under warranty before I'll do something other than what the manufacturer says.

Get notified of new replies

To What kind of oil comes in the C6 from the factory?

Quick Reply: What kind of oil comes in the C6 from the factory?