C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank bolt happened at 65 MPH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:00 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Crank bolt happened at 65 MPH!!!

Driving on I-4 in FL, the water temp pegged @ 265++, oil everywhere, belt shredded the hood liner, oil dripping out of the engine. The crankshaft pully bolt is totally out............the only thing that kept it from folling out was the tranny cooler..................Is the engine damaged?? It is smoking!!!

Oy yeah, ALL OF 2,120 miles on the car.....................not bad for $50,000, HUH?

VIN is 110035, build date 11/04.............
Old 03-19-2005, 07:22 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Ouch!!!

If you lost engine oil due to this, I would demand a new engine... even the loss of oil pressure for 10 seconds "can" cause damage that would reduce it's longevity, even if they repaired/reassembled everything back together under warranty...

Sorry to hear about this!

This is a reminder for me to do an "advanced search" under the forum for the process to check the crank bolt myself!

Old 03-19-2005, 07:36 PM
C5 then C6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry this happened to you. It is an OUTRAGE that we have to drive our cars with the gamble of this happening to us. When is the recall coming?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:06 PM
stanleyp
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 then C6
Sorry this happened to you. It is an OUTRAGE that we have to drive our cars with the gamble of this happening to us. When is the recall coming?
Once the cost of doing the repairs exceed the cost of doing a recall.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Tropical'67
Drifting

My dealer treated the TSB with concern and performed the work on mine and three other C6's prior to delivery. Here's the earlier post on the subject. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/arch...t-1038771.html
Old 03-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Icemanskis
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

That is why you should wait for the second year of a new generation before you buy one. Let the General work out the kinks and get his act together. In all seriousness, though, sorry to hear about your misfortunes. These things happen. Be thankful it is all under warranty. Sweet ride, I like the color. Chrome rims on the horizon maybe? CCWs?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:17 PM
tom4416
Racer

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Driving on I-4 in FL, the water temp pegged @ 265++, oil everywhere, belt shredded the hood liner, oil dripping out of the engine. The crankshaft pully bolt is totally out............the only thing that kept it from folling out was the tranny cooler..................Is the engine damaged?? It is smoking!!!

Oy yeah, ALL OF 2,120 miles on the car.....................not bad for $50,000, HUH?

VIN is 110035, build date 11/04.............
If it makes you feel any better, the oil you saw likely is from the power steering reservoir, not the engine. It gets taken out by the belt and slings PS fluid around the engine compartment (which creates its own set of problems with eating the paint). Most (if not all) of the failures being reported described this oil and it turns out that it's not engine oil. However, overheating in an aluminum engine is deadly, warping the mating surfaces. This would be my concern more than anything else and, unfortunately, may not show up for thousands of miles as a blown head gasket or worse. I think its time to start pressuring GM to provide a 5/100 warranty on any car suffering from the belt failure.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:02 AM
AveryOBX
Advanced

No big deal IMO. It is under warranty. Mine is one of the VIN's affected but no problems yet. If/when she does let loose I am praying it takes the motor with it. Then I get to start fresh!
Old 03-20-2005, 01:11 AM
415LT5-badZR-1
Pro

Originally Posted by AveryOBX
No big deal IMO. It is under warranty. Mine is one of the VIN's affected but no problems yet. If/when she does let loose I am praying it takes the motor with it. Then I get to start fresh!

Yeah - that is what we all want - our brand new car to fire a crankshaft pulley off, maybe take the engine with it, destroy the paint and hoodliner, and pray you get it fixed properly by the local GM dealer. If I owned one of these cars, I'd take it directly to the dealer today, and demand they fix the problem before the damn car stranded me. But that's just me!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:19 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default On warranty repairs they will not fix anything until it is broken.

If it ain't broke they ain't gonna fix it.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Barely Legal
Burning Brakes

Beyond me why Chevy does not key the crank. Moronic. Ford even does it.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:46 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn...so sorry to hear this. At least you are ok/didn't loose it when oil went everywhere...

Hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Let's keep this in perspective guys as I've done a lot of research on this issue. We now have 13 confirmed cases of crank pulley failures:

(1) UBETRUN
(2) VIN5922.........5922
(3) N2DEEP
(4) EMTPRES.........8824
(5) RWSjr
(6) M_C6
(7) bangbgC6
(8) 3X2
(9) avvetteguy
(10) skfurr
(11) SHOOTER 49
(12) Datawiz
(13) VNAMVET

While we can't say we've captured all of them here, as of January there were 50 total cases out of about 11,000 cars in the affected VIN range according to a top GM exec. Even though there have likely been a handful more since then, that ain't a very high percentage (less than a half percent)! Also, there have been zero failures to VIN's below 3000 that we know of, so it appears that the problem may have started happening after VIN 3000 but our samples may be too small to tell.

Mike
Old 03-20-2005, 01:08 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
While we can't say we've captured all of them here, as of January there were 50 total cases out of about 11,000 cars in the affected VIN range according to a top GM exec. Even though there have likely been a handful more since then, that ain't a very high percentage (less than a half percent)! Mike
1 in every 200 cars having a catastrophic failure is way too high a failure rate to be complacent about. That's combat odds. If all of the 98,000,000 small blocks produced by GM were made the way the LS2 is, there would have been nearly half a million failures. Anyone would call that a scandal. But fortunately, almost all small blocks keyed the dampener to the crank, and didn't have this problem. The LS2 failure rate represents a serious design error on the part of GM.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Z064life
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by LS WON
If it ain't broke they ain't gonna fix it.
That only depends on your dealer
Old 03-20-2005, 02:24 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by shopdog
1 in every 200 cars having a catastrophic failure is way too high a failure rate to be complacent about. That's combat odds. If all of the 98,000,000 small blocks produced by GM were made the way the LS2 is, there would have been nearly half a million failures. Anyone would call that a scandal. But fortunately, almost all small blocks keyed the dampener to the crank, and didn't have this problem. The LS2 failure rate represents a serious design error on the part of GM.
But when it applies to only 11,000 of them of which only maybe 75 will fail in the worst case, it's hardly a "scandal"! Also, you have no way of knowing whether it is a design flaw, equipment malfunction, production problem, training issue (such as one of the workers not using the proper torque), etc. A lot of times, the design is fine; it's the implementation that falls short.

To me, the silly part is to suggest that people take their cars in and demand that Mr. BadWrench take apart the whole front end of their car to fix something that may never break. Give it another 6 months and by then, most people will have driven over 2,000 miles. At that time, if there are still occasional CP failures popping up at 4,000 miles, 5,000 miles and beyond, then it might make sense to try to convince a dealer to "fix" it, not before. If after 6 months we are seeing no new failures, it probably means that once you have past a certain mileage you are safe and there is no reason to have your local Chevy grease monkeys butcher your car.

My .02 as usual,

Mike
Old 03-20-2005, 05:03 PM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Loose crank bolt question

I wonder if the loose crank bolt could be done by an individual employee problem not torqing down the bolt properly? I would be interesting to see if it happened only on a certain individual's shift for a certain time limit or is it truly a component design problem?

Last edited by chucky7; 03-20-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling error

Get notified of new replies

To Crank bolt happened at 65 MPH!!!

Old 03-20-2005, 05:34 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyc6
But when it applies to only 11,000 of them of which only maybe 75 will fail in the worst case, it's hardly a "scandal"! Also, you have no way of knowing whether it is a design flaw, equipment malfunction, production problem, training issue (such as one of the workers not using the proper torque), etc. A lot of times, the design is fine; it's the implementation that falls short.

To me, the silly part is to suggest that people take their cars in and demand that Mr. BadWrench take apart the whole front end of their car to fix something that may never break. Give it another 6 months and by then, most people will have driven over 2,000 miles. At that time, if there are still occasional CP failures popping up at 4,000 miles, 5,000 miles and beyond, then it might make sense to try to convince a dealer to "fix" it, not before. If after 6 months we are seeing no new failures, it probably means that once you have past a certain mileage you are safe and there is no reason to have your local Chevy grease monkeys butcher your car.

My .02 as usual,

Mike

Mike, With all due respect, that's BS. In this day and age you should expect to be able to drive a new $50,000 car across the county in the dead of Winter or Summer, and not have to worry about throwing all the accessories off the front end of the engine. I wouldn't deem it acceptable being stuck in Gallop NM or Kingman AZ for three or four days while parts were obtained and the service was done.

If GM plays hardball with this issue, they have lost me, a longtime supporter who has owned 30 GM cars since I started driving. These 11,000 cars need to be brought in NOW. No excuses, no doubletalk about the low numbers involved. No steering wheel lock kind of evasions.

Loosing belts at speed is also a safety issue I intend to bring up to National Hiway Traffic Safety Administration.

I just may make advocating on this little issue my job for the Spring.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Fredo
Racer

Default Affected vin #'s

Anybody know the affected Vin #s. Mine is 110524 which is 489 cars built after the problem failure above. My car was built 12/04. Something to keep my eye on.
Fred
Old 03-20-2005, 06:24 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by tom4416
I think its time to start pressuring GM to provide a 5/100 warranty on any car suffering from the belt failure.

Quick Reply: Crank bolt happened at 65 MPH!!!