C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes: Compilation of Threads

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 07:54 AM
Mighty-Mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Brakes: Compilation of Threads

Below is links to some threads I had in my subscription that I think are very helpful to anyone thinking about brakes.

Please add threads.

I think it would be cool if there was one place people could go to find this information when the search function is inoperative.

Fact or Fiction: Drilled/Slotted rotors improve braking

Should I switch brake lines?

Brake Fluid - I know, asked a million times...

1 piece vs. 2 piece rotors

What Type of Brake Fluid to Use in a C5?

Castrol srf brake fluid: Any downside other than $??

Purpose of drilled/slotted rotors

rotor runout

TCS problem with new rims and tires

rotor fin direction ?

Signs of warped rotors??

My Z51 Brakes Squeel after 200 miles!

Stock Rotors are Directional.

Stability Control (Active Handling) should be on your next car!

rotor re-surface questions

Brake Rotor Metallurgy

Definition: "Active Handling Warming Up"

Change The Pads Too???

Hissing (air leak noise) at the brake pedal

Brakes .. i got issues .. squealing like a pig.

Squeaky Brakes

Brakes are still squeaking

90 Vert - Brake Fluid looks very dirty..

Brake Rotors Out-of-Balance...BAD!

abnormal front brake pad wear

Brakes and a C5

Correct ABS braking procedure in Road Racing environment

Last edited by Mighty-Mouse; 03-23-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good links
Old 03-22-2005, 01:31 AM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default C6 Rotors gone at 8,000 miles

Just had my car to the dealer for a checkup and oil change. as usual i asked them to check the brakes. the fronts were down to 1/10 but Not into the rotors. The dealer tells me that the front rotors must be turned and should be replaced. only 8,000 miles w/ one track day. I dont mind paying for the brakes but the dealer will not replace the rotors under warranty. I bought the car from Les Stanford in Mi and he even had his service staff call my dealer to say he would replce under warranty. What is the collective thaught?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Mighty-Mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 928nomore
Just had my car to the dealer for a checkup and oil change. as usual i asked them to check the brakes. the fronts were down to 1/10 but Not into the rotors. The dealer tells me that the front rotors must be turned and should be replaced. only 8,000 miles w/ one track day. I dont mind paying for the brakes but the dealer will not replace the rotors under warranty. I bought the car from Les Stanford in Mi and he even had his service staff call my dealer to say he would replce under warranty. What is the collective thaught?

They should, but they don't have to.

8,000 miles is a pretty short life for a rotor only used for the street with one track event.

It wasn't the 12 hours of Sebring or something

If they won't cover it, then don't bother with them just buy a good set of aftermarket rotors and install them yourself.

What I don't get is why would he want to turn a rotor that's ready for scrap? That's just a waste of money.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 928nomore
First of all, why does the dealer think they need to be turned? You have not said that they are "pulsing".

Second, try this. Take the rotors off yourself, and then take some heavy duty steel wool or something similar. Go over both sides of the rotors very throrougly, then clean the rotors really good with water to get any of the steel wool particles off of it. I have done this and found the rotors were not actually warped, they just had "pad material" transfered to them that made them feel warped. Saved a lot of money by doing this.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mighty-Mouse, thanks for posting those links. I think I've seen them all before, but it's good reading for the newbies and uneducated. No offense to those that don't know much about brakes....we all have things to learn about, I'm learning about FI right now, and trying to do as much reading as possible to prevent myself from posting dumb questions.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:42 AM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

i have not felt any pulsing and do not believe that the rotors are warped. the dealer just said they were worn severely. since i did not go into the rotors with the origional pads I think its a warranty item

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes: Compilation of Threads

Quick Reply: Brakes: Compilation of Threads