C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners and 6L80 Shift point, my data doesn't make sense

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2023, 09:04 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Default HP Tuners and 6L80 Shift point, my data doesn't make sense

I'm trying to get my partial throttle shift points dialed in. I'm holding my throttle in a constant position and watching the shift points change at mph, but some of them do not line up with the numbers I've got flashed into my module. Is there something else that will effect the shift point other than throttle position? There seem to be 3 different accelerator/throttle position things to log, does anyone know which one is actually used? Maybe I need to do some math between 0mph levels and driving levels?

Here's an example of what I'm seeing. The shift speeds for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts look like throttle is at about 15% even though the pedal/throttle numbers a much higher. Then the 4-5 shift happens very close to the previous shift. The mph looks like the car is responding to a 10% throttle even though the throttle has not moved. Then the 5-6 shift happens at a speed for a 20% throttle even though the data log shows there is even less throttle than the previous shifts.

I'm obviously missing something here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2023, 07:17 AM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

For an experiment I decided to get rid of the throttle variable and make all the values in the partial throttle rows constant. I had a feeling that the ECM was not following the correct table, so I decided to do this with all the tables using different mph values. This way I could figure out which tables were being used when despite what the data log says.

The normal (drive) shift pattern worked as expected. The Pattern B(sport) acted weird. For the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts it is using the Pattern B table. But the 4-5 and 5-6 shifts use the D1 Safety Tables. I'm kind of baffled by what is going on here. The D1 Safety Tables have nothing in them for the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts, but 4-5 and 5-6 are populated.

I guess I just need to update these tables instead of the Pattern B tables for the high gears. This should help get me back on track with dialing in my part throttle shift points.

Here is a screen shot of my plot and HP Tuners. You can see the data log is showing Pattern B and shifts into 5th at 70mph, 6th at 75mph. The Pattern B tables show it should shift at 45 and 50mph into those gears. The Safety table is the only one that has 70 and 75 programmed into them. I did a read out of the ECM to grab these tables just in case I messed up the flash somehow, so it should be exactly what is in the controller.

Quick Reply: HP Tuners and 6L80 Shift point, my data doesn't make sense