C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Programmer/Tuner For Firmer Shift In Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 12:01 AM
powercorvette
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which Programmer/Tuner For Firmer Shift In Automatic?

I have an 05 automatic and was wondering which brand or model of programmer/tuner lets you adjust the firmness of the shifting on automatics.
I would like to buy a used one if anybody is selling one.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:46 AM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

Been using the Diablo Intune and was happy with it.Has firm and hard shift options.I only used the firm but it did a nice job.Just updated to a Diablew tune from Lewis and was really surprised at the difference.Firm shifts,holds the gears a little longer and a decent bump in performance as everything feels a little crisper.He can adjust it to feel the way you want.I had my custom tune within 10 minutes of sending him the info.Bought my programmer on the forum used so I have less than $300 in the programmer AND the custom tune.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:31 PM
powercorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by jamieo
Been using the Diablo Intune and was happy with it.Has firm and hard shift options.I only used the firm but it did a nice job.Just updated to a Diablew tune from Lewis and was really surprised at the difference.Firm shifts,holds the gears a little longer and a decent bump in performance as everything feels a little crisper.He can adjust it to feel the way you want.I had my custom tune within 10 minutes of sending him the info.Bought my programmer on the forum used so I have less than $300 in the programmer AND the custom tune.
Thanks for the reply. So any diablo Intune should have the ability to adjust that then?
how about the diablo predator?
Old 09-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

The intune 3 or Trinity 2 would be the better option to have all the shift point options, etc.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:02 AM
PJ Ellis
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please indulge my ignorance on this question. I just bought a 2004 Base and replace plugs, wires, brakes, fluids and so. I've been reading about squeezing more performance out of it and am looking to upgrade the air induction system and exhaust. I read all these claims from the different companies about HP gains. My question is, if I added a new air induction and headers, x pipe and so on, the computer still will only put out the HP that it was programmed for? So wouldn't I want to get a tune with all upgrades?
Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=PJ Ellis;1600232461 My question is, if I added a new air induction and headers, x pipe and so on, the computer still will only put out the HP that it was programmed for? So wouldn't I want to get a tune with all upgrades?[/QUOTE]

Not an expert but do have a Diablo tune. In short, Yes, with the upgrades you will want a custom tune.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:12 PM
powercorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by PJ Ellis
Please indulge my ignorance on this question. I just bought a 2004 Base and replace plugs, wires, brakes, fluids and so. I've been reading about squeezing more performance out of it and am looking to upgrade the air induction system and exhaust. I read all these claims from the different companies about HP gains. My question is, if I added a new air induction and headers, x pipe and so on, the computer still will only put out the HP that it was programmed for? So wouldn't I want to get a tune with all upgrades?
It’s like J Vette mention about getting a custom tune for your specific parts that you upgrade.
The canned tunes that come already on the programmer is just for an general performance but it will not recognize that you have the headers, x pipe and so on.
I am still new at understanding but have done a lots of research and YouTube videos lol.

Here is a link for a YouTube that explains canned vs custom tunes.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:14 PM
powercorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by jamieo
Jamieo,
what is the difference between Firm shift and Hard shift?
sorry that sounds a little confusing.
I just got a Diablosport Intune.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:41 PM
jamieo
Melting Slicks

Received 547 Likes on 409 Posts

The hard shift was too much for my liking.Always thought that something was going to break.Firm will shift hard enough to make the tires spin when going to second if you want it to but under normal driving it is really smooth.Firm shift with torque management turned off was a completely different car.I also ran the 93 octane tune.PM me if you need any info.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:19 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

There is an intune 2 for sale on LS1tech.com
Old 10-10-2019, 03:07 AM
AWSneer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have EFI Live, Autocal. Not 100% sure yet what all it can do but I've read you can do just about anything with it.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:43 AM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Diablo tune

Originally Posted by powercorvette
Jamieo,
what is the difference between Firm shift and Hard shift?
sorry that sounds a little confusing.
I just got a Diablosport Intune.
Stick with the intune until you add headers. Then you will need a custom tune either Thru diablew or another shop who can do a dyno tune. My path was intune 93 octane, diablew tune and then finally a dyno tune. I did a dyno tune as I wanted to work with a local shop with no need for the back and forth of data files nor the need to send off my ECM to be programmed. You really want to avoid any hard shift selection as the firm shift is quite adequate or risk breaking something.

Old 10-26-2019, 05:50 AM
khaotic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tune

Originally Posted by powercorvette
I have an 05 automatic and was wondering which brand or model of programmer/tuner lets you adjust the firmness of the shifting on automatics.
I would like to buy a used one if anybody is selling one.
buy hp tuner and you will have unlimited support and help and make it easy for others to send files back and forth and remote tunes if you need
Old 11-08-2019, 09:50 AM
powercorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
Stick with the intune until you add headers. Then you will need a custom tune either Thru diablew or another shop who can do a dyno tune. My path was intune 93 octane, diablew tune and then finally a dyno tune. I did a dyno tune as I wanted to work with a local shop with no need for the back and forth of data files nor the need to send off my ECM to be programmed. You really want to avoid any hard shift selection as the firm shift is quite adequate or risk breaking something.

Sorry, quick question.
In what way would the hard shift hurt the transmission?
If it would hurt the transmission then wouldn’t DiabloSport have that option removed or not even make it an option in the first place?
Old 11-08-2019, 09:52 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Shift pressure is a good thing when applied properly, it reduces slippage which builds heat, hence extending trans life...

Get notified of new replies

To Which Programmer/Tuner For Firmer Shift In Automatic?

Quick Reply: Which Programmer/Tuner For Firmer Shift In Automatic?