C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune on 2011 gs questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 03:31 PM
vettskii
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune on 2011 gs questions

I have a 2011 GS that I installed vararam kooks long tubes and catless xpipe. I got a tune from someone who was recommended but I don't think had much experience with domestics. I got 415/410 to the wheels, does this sound right or is there more to be had with a good tuner? Also he said there was some knock at about 5500 that kept reducing the timing and that's why he couldn't get more power? Any input would be awesome thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vettskii
I have a 2011 GS that I installed vararam kooks long tubes and catless xpipe. I got a tune from someone who was recommended but I don't think had much experience with domestics. I got 415/410 to the wheels, does this sound right or is there more to be had with a good tuner? Also he said there was some knock at about 5500 that kept reducing the timing and that's why he couldn't get more power? Any input would be awesome thanks
What octane gas and what kind of dyno?

Stock LS3's should do around 380 on a dynojet. I'll let others comment on the tune itself. Any way you could get your tuner to give you the tune file so you can post it here?
Old 08-12-2014, 05:55 PM
vettskii
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
What octane gas and what kind of dyno?

Stock LS3's should do around 380 on a dynojet. I'll let others comment on the tune itself. Any way you could get your tuner to give you the tune file so you can post it here?
Using 91. He said 93 might help a little. I'll see if I can get the tune file. I've just read with my bolt ons that ppl were getting a bit more then i am.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:25 PM
rwag
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 GS same set up as yours except high flow cats 93 octane 420 RWP.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:38 PM
1MEANGS
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That power seems right on point esp for running 91 octane... Add in some 93 and you'll be a lil higher! I made 410 412 with intake exhaust tune (also deleting cats) no headers tho...
Old 08-13-2014, 09:25 AM
vettskii
Heel & Toe

Okay thanks guys. But does the knock seem right? Is there anyway to get that tuned out besides switching fuel type
Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Okay thanks guys. But does the knock seem right? Is there anyway to get that tuned out besides switching fuel type
Yes, that's was nice about a custom tune. The tuner can pull timing and/or add a bit a fuel to those specific areas (rpm) where you are experiencing knock. Sometimes the tuner will pull timing a couple of degrees at a specific rpms to prevent the knock sensors from pulling 6* or 7* of timing. Here in CA with 91 octane, I had this issue with the stock tune and felt the hp loss. A custom tune resolved this issue along with other tweaks in a tune that improved performance.

The stock LS3 peak hp occurs at 5900 rpm. Your engine was pulling timing a 5500 rpm, just before peak hp and never reached its full potential because of knock retard.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-13-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

My .02 cents

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-s...72938740,d.cWc
Old 08-13-2014, 03:35 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
Why would you be posting about a canned tune when this guy has a non-stock car, and has already said he's getting some knock with a custom one?
Old 08-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Why would you be posting about a canned tune when this guy has a non-stock car, and has already said he's getting some knock with a custom one?
I posted that because the car in that link has the exact same mods as the OP. It's also the fastest bolt on C6 on this forum, running our 'canned' tune. Seems our canned tune is outperforming countless custom tuned cars all over the place.

Also, any tune that is called 'custom, with a little knock up top', well...yeah. That's a bad tune, not a custom tune.

I promise, I put a little thought into this when I posted it. It makes for better posting
Old 08-16-2014, 09:45 PM
jeb6754
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted that because the car in that link has the exact same mods as the OP. It's also the fastest bolt on C6 on this forum, running our 'canned' tune. Seems our canned tune is outperforming countless custom tuned cars all over the place.

Also, any tune that is called 'custom, with a little knock up top', well...yeah. That's a bad tune, not a custom tune.

I promise, I put a little thought into this when I posted it. It makes for better posting
FYI your link comes up as a page not found.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

A can of Torco in each tank, like I do?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

did your tuner adjust your LTFT's and PE tables before pulling timing? he should have started with MAF tuning at idle, part throttle and then moved to PE and WOT. with the bolt on's you listed you were more than likely running lean, which will cause KR. However, dialing in your MAF should come before timing. Or what I do if there is KR above 2 is remove what ever the amount is plus 4-5 degrees and then come back when Im done and slowly bring it back until I see KR and then subtract 2 degrees to create a buffer. Get the tuning and a scan file from your tuner and post it so we can see. If he wont give it to you or locked it then ask him about your LTFT and MAF adjustments.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Z0-SICK
Instructor

Lol, this is rich. Mike I have a ton of respect for you but your way off. The first thing you have to keep in mind here is 90% of the custom tuners your competing against are either amateurs or too lazy to put together a true custom tune for their clients. So yea your going to "outperform" them under most circumstances. There is nothing your tunes can do that any guy can do with the correct software, a wideband, patience and some guidance can do. The true benefit of a custom tune is that it centers around the customers wants and needs and takes into account each bolt on and other variables such as sea level, average temperature etc. And the ability to customize it as modifications are added.

The guy who uses his vette as a DD probably doesn't want the same torque management adjustments that a track guy wants. So the one size fits all solution isn't applicable to everyone.

And without seeing the OP tune and scan file I would say it's labeling it a bad tune is cheap. I'm by no means defending the guy cause I haven't seen it either. But even with your MAF, VE, PE and anything else dialed in you still often deal with KR and need to remove timing anyway. This is assuming that he removed it of course.

just my 2 pennies.......

Last edited by Z0-SICK; 08-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Twowheelin_wildman
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a throw in question...is a custom tune needed if a nitrous kit is added?

Get notified of new replies

To Tune on 2011 gs questions

Quick Reply: Tune on 2011 gs questions