C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TUNE on a 2013 427 Convertible

Old 07-29-2014, 11:53 PM
mrmercedes
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TUNE on a 2013 427 Convertible

Performance guys i have a question. I'm a dealer and sell a lot of Corvettes. I have sold a ton of Z06's. Its a very fast Corvette however you must have the rpm's over 4,500 to get it to really get up a go. After 4,500 rpm's it turns into a animal. I just sold a good customer of mine a 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible and he said he wants to look into a Tune. Whats the cheapest and fastest way to get this 427 to rev faster? Will you really notice a diffrance in a tune without bolt on parts. Sometimes its hard to feel a difference in a extra 10-hp when the car has 505hp. Any advice? They say the car does the 1/4 in 11.8 to 12.00. Will a tune make this car a 11.5 with the same driver that does the 11.8 with the right tune without bolt on parts? Please note this 2013 427 Corvette Convertible is a 3,000 car and 100% stock.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

put an air intake on it, headers, and a tune and be done with it. The power will come on a little earlier and lose no drivability.

where do you live?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:03 AM
mrmercedes
Advanced

Florida
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

GM sets a lot of parameters and settings conservatively for reasons such as fuel consumption, safety, user error, etc. There are a lot of changes that can be made to a stock car to wake it up..just not sure how much of that will be noticeable without also adding other mods.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

A good tune on an LS7 will wake it up nicely, and it will feel better.
Trying to get it to pick up .3 in the 1/4 mile is going to take traction mods, adding power and reducing TM is likely going to make traction harder to come by.
If the drag strip is his main concern, get him into a set of sticky drag radials and it wil do wonders for ET.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have that exact car, bone stock, I just purchased the diablosport Intune I1000 and loaded the 91 octane tune. CAN'T FEEL ANY DIFFERENCE. I then tried the Diablo tune (93 octane) and still don't notice any difference in power (maybe I will get better gas mileage?). I think the stock mapping is pretty good for overall power, So I guess the next step is some mods like headers and CAI. I agree, it is killer when it gets up to 4500 rpms, but seems slow to get there.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 PM
mrmercedes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Todds9
I have that exact car, bone stock, I just purchased the diablosport Intune I1000 and loaded the 91 octane tune. CAN'T FEEL ANY DIFFERENCE. I then tried the Diablo tune (93 octane) and still don't notice any difference in power (maybe I will get better gas mileage?). I think the stock mapping is pretty good for overall power, So I guess the next step is some mods like headers and CAI. I agree, it is killer when it gets up to 4500 rpms, but seems slow to get there.
Exactly!!!!!!! If u nail it in 1st at 40 mph at 4,000 rpms and shift 2nd and 3rd at 6500-7,000 is an animal and it would be hard to have any stock car to pull u exept its brother the ZR1 zr1. As we agree from 1,000-4,000 its slow revving. I was told by a few guys at speed shops it really needs to be dyno tuned to notice the difference we are looking for. Its a 427 Conv Anniversary White exterior with Blue Interior and silver strips. Best looking Corvette Chevy made i think. I have a c7 with auto and honestly it feels faster but times shows its not. I have owned many c6 Z06 coupes that feel a lot faster then this 427 CV.. The difference is about 165 pd's so at best should be a 10th slower in the 1/4 with the same driver.

Last edited by mrmercedes; 07-31-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Thats certainly not normal. We see an average of 25+ rwhp gains from the 93 tune over the stock tune on the Z06. Have you tried different fuel, or logged for Knock?

Thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by mrmercedes
Exactly!!!!!!! If u nail it in 1st at 40 mph at 4,000 rpms and shift 2nd and 3rd at 6500-7,000 is an animal and it would be hard to have any stock car to pull u exept its brother the ZR1 zr1. As we agree from 1,000-4,000 its slow revving. I was told by a few guys at speed shops it really needs to be dyno tuned to notice the difference we are looking for. Its a 427 Conv Anniversary White exterior with Blue Interior and silver strips. Best looking Corvette Chevy made i think. I have a c7 with auto and honestly it feels faster but times shows its not. I have owned many c6 Z06 coupes that feel a lot faster then this 427 CV.. The difference is about 165 pd's so at best should be a 10th slower in the 1/4 with the same driver.
I have a couple friends who purchased the new C7. One auto and one stick. We went to the local circle track to be the pace cars for a race, we made a couple laps by ourselves just to get the feel for the track. My car WALKS away from them! Its not even close, the 427 has way more power than the C7, I don't care what the hype says! You do have to keep the rpms up above 4000. When we pulled off the track, the track official told me I had a better lap time than some of the race cars! my friends were even shocked, they thought their cars were faster.

Mike, I already use the best premium gas around here, 92 octane. I was expecting to notice some difference, but its not there (I did not lose any power). I'm not sure how to log? I want to drive it awhile and check gas mileage to see if there is any difference there. I currently only get 23 mpg.

Last edited by Todds427; 08-01-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:43 PM
benwinrich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a LS3 with a bolt on CAI and axle back so no major mod's. I purchased a custom tune from Diablew and I can absolutely say the car drives totally different. Before the tune shifting was soft and slow in either auto or paddle. Since the tune the car hits the gears nicely and firm. GM really dumbs down the stock vette IMO and a simple tune with the Sport really wakes the car up to me. With all the $$$'s corvette owners drop into their cars the Sport should be the first thing they do.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 279 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I have tuned several basically STOCK 427 Z06's
They are all pretty lazy as you say below 3500 RPM as per GM's design--
GM kils off all the bottom end timing
These are the stock timing values at WOT --BEFORE any IAT or ECT deductions
0-1000 RPM -2 to -4 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST +5 WOW !!!!!!!!!
1100-1400 2 to 7 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST 9
1500 - 2000 12-to 13 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST 15
2100-2500 16 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST 18
This really wakes up the bottom and gets you more momentum as approaching 2600 to 3500 RPM's
ALSO needs addressing is the "FAST KNOCK RETARD" stock table can subtract 10* of timing on any hard launch--this needs to be deleted

I have noticed that all of the 427's don't have enough "base idle spark"
makes them idle rough I always add about 3* which again gives you more launch momentum
There are 6 TQ reduction tables that involve TIMING deducts that should be deleted--again kills bottom end timing
Finally you should also eliminate ALL the power enrichment delays --Can be as much a 3 seconds which is so annoying as when you floor it there is a delay before it actually goes to full throttle contributing to a lazy bottom end
YES these cars are already well tuned otherwise --but these few adjustments really wake them up

Last edited by tblu92; 08-05-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM
mrmercedes
Advanced

I can see u really know these zoo's. That all sounds great thing is can i find the right guy locally. I'm in Boca Raton Fl. Do you do this work for business or just for fun? I Drove the car today and honestly doesn't feel much stronger then a GS. Most times power shifting 2nd at 6,500 in a z06 it kicks out to the side and hard to keep in strait, this 427 chirps the tires slightly kicks to the side and can keep strait with no issues at all, That alone tells me something is wrong.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by mrmercedes
I can see u really know these zoo's. That all sounds great thing is can i find the right guy locally. I'm in Boca Raton Fl. Do you do this work for business or just for fun? I Drove the car today and honestly doesn't feel much stronger then a GS. Most times power shifting 2nd at 6,500 in a z06 it kicks out to the side and hard to keep in strait, this 427 chirps the tires slightly kicks to the side and can keep strait with no issues at all, That alone tells me something is wrong.
We're in Delray...we're not really an open to the public facility, but if you want to bring the car by here one day I'll throw a tune in it for you. If you don't like it, come back the next day and I'll put it back to stock.
If you do like it, you come here and tell everyone how great the Diablo tune is...

Sound good?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Matt@FSP is one of the best tuners in the country. I would start there.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 PM
mrmercedes
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
We're in Delray...we're not really an open to the public facility, but if you want to bring the car by here one day I'll throw a tune in it for you. If you don't like it, come back the next day and I'll put it back to stock.
If you do like it, you come here and tell everyone how great the Diablo tune is...

Sound good?
Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please send me your contact info and ill swing by, Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 PM
mrmercedes
Advanced

Originally Posted by tblu92
I have tuned several basically STOCK 427 Z06's
They are all pretty lazy as you say below 3500 RPM as per GM's design--
GM kils off all the bottom end timing
These are the stock timing values at WOT --BEFORE any IAT or ECT deductions
0-1000 RPM -2 to -4 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST +5 WOW !!!!!!!!!
1100-1400 2 to 7 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST 9
1500 - 2000 12-to 13 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST 15
2100-2500 16 degrees SHOULD BE AT LEAST 18
This really wakes up the bottom and gets you more momentum as approaching 2600 to 3500 RPM's
ALSO needs addressing is the "FAST KNOCK RETARD" stock table can subtract 10* of timing on any hard launch--this needs to be deleted

I have noticed that all of the 427's don't have enough "base idle spark"
makes them idle rough I always add about 3* which again gives you more launch momentum
There are 6 TQ reduction tables that involve TIMING deducts that should be deleted--again kills bottom end timing
Finally you should also eliminate ALL the power enrichment delays --Can be as much a 3 seconds which is so annoying as when you floor it there is a delay before it actually goes to full throttle contributing to a lazy bottom end
YES these cars are already well tuned otherwise --but these few adjustments really wake them up
Thank you. What tunes have you done on the C6 Z06's? Have you done any tunes on the c7 yet? what tunes do you recommend and which ones to stay away from? Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:09 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

I have a couple friends who purchased the new C7. One auto and one stick. We went to the local circle track to be the pace cars for a race, we made a couple laps by ourselves just to get the feel for the track. My car WALKS away from them! Its not even close, the 427 has way more power than the C7, I don't care what the hype says! You do have to keep the rpms up above 4000. When we pulled off the track, the track official told me I had a better lap time than some of the race cars! my friends were even shocked, they thought their cars were faster.

Mike, I already use the best premium gas around here, 92 octane. I was expecting to notice some difference, but its not there (I did not lose any power). I'm not sure how to log? I want to drive it awhile and check gas mileage to see if there is any difference there. I currently only get 23 mpg.
" When we pulled off the track, the track official told me I had a better lap time than some of the race cars! my friends were even shocked, they thought their cars were faster."
Too funny !!! a dedicated circle track car vs a autocross sports car ? A seasoned driver vs a Pace lap driver ?
Next you'll say you set the track record and had one eye closed !!
Not gonna happen!!
Sorry Now I don't trust or believe anything you have to offer---It's always My friend has or my buddy does---
Debating whether tuning makes a car quicker is ir-relative --Without having all the issues sorted out as Mike mentions before the tune
It can have pinging and horrible knock retard simply from getting a bad tank of gas that send the timig table into the "LOW OCTANE MODE-There the timing is about 1/2 of normal---and the bad tank could be from a year ago !!!! Any car would be lazy with only 1/2 the needed timing !!!
I have not driven any 505 HP Z that wasn't a beast off the line-- Tuned or not
With the TC off it will kill you if you get it sideways-
You have other issues that need to be fixed before ever doing mods OR tuning

Get notified of new replies

To TUNE on a 2013 427 Convertible

Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

". What tunes have you done on the C6 Z06's? Have you done any tunes on the c7 yet? what tunes do you recommend and which ones to stay away from? Thanks for all your help."
Don't know what you mean by "what tunes" It's either tuned or not--If you are talking about what sort of modded ones I have done them all--Super charged hds--cam hearders--NOS etc--Each car is tuned for max power and driveability according to the car's intended use and type of mods--
As far as C7's go I have tuned 6 of them including my own but also about 20 Silverado's with the new DI engines----The DI engine tuning is completely different than ever before--simple yet touchy--You can make them so aggressive that they are almost un driveable on the street--I have had to de-tune 3 of them and as I have said before it has nothing to do with timing or fuel changes---( One guy's wife went to park in their garage and the car lurched forward so hard she knocked the pass side mirror off !!! ) before she could lift
whoops !
Old 08-08-2014, 11:08 PM
mrmercedes
Advanced

Originally Posted by tblu92
". What tunes have you done on the C6 Z06's? Have you done any tunes on the c7 yet? what tunes do you recommend and which ones to stay away from? Thanks for all your help."
Don't know what you mean by "what tunes" It's either tuned or not--If you are talking about what sort of modded ones I have done them all--Super charged hds--cam hearders--NOS etc--Each car is tuned for max power and driveability according to the car's intended use and type of mods--
As far as C7's go I have tuned 6 of them including my own but also about 20 Silverado's with the new DI engines----The DI engine tuning is completely different than ever before--simple yet touchy--You can make them so aggressive that they are almost un driveable on the street--I have had to de-tune 3 of them and as I have said before it has nothing to do with timing or fuel changes---( One guy's wife went to park in their garage and the car lurched forward so hard she knocked the pass side mirror off !!! ) before she could lift
whoops !
Guy's thanks for all the responds i got on the post in regards to the 2013 427 Convertible. I mentioned that this 427 ran strong however not as strong as most of the C6 Z06'S iv owned and sold in the past. This 427 was a little lazy and just didn't rev as fast as others iv had. After talking to many speed shops and telling them i want to wake up this car they told me without motor work or other bolt ons a tune will not give me the results i was looking for. A few days ago i receive a email from Mike from Diablo Tune… We emailed each other a few times. I notice there office was a few miles away from were i lived. I heard mixed things about Tunes so i was not sold it was going to work on this Corvette. Mike was 100% for sure that he can give me what i was looking for out of this 427 in less then Ten minutes. I said Oh Yea seeing is believing. Mike said when u have time swing by our office. A few hours later I want to the office and he pluged the tuner in the car, it took less then 10 minutes. It was almost to easy like a Two year old can install this tune. I came out of his office made a Left down the side road and nailed it, 1st 2nd and most of 3rd gear. All i can really say is HOLY SH _ _. Its a total BEAST!!!!!. I have emailed mike a few times before the tune as well as twice after the tune and never waited more then 5 minutes for a responds back. Anyone looking for instant performance results get yourself a Diablo tuner before spending big money on aftermarket bolt ons. I'm very impressed with the results. Thanks Mike!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Glad we could help

Our gm tuner is interested I getting your car on the dyno for verification if you are game, let me know

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TUNE on a 2013 427 Convertible