C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Error???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 PM
jp260z
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tuner Error???

Question: Is it possible for a tuner to make an error re scaling an injector table with EFI Live to cause one injector to be commanded wide open when the key is turned on and fill a cylinder with fuel causing a hydro lock? The result was that the starter was literally blown right off the side of the block. (starter destroyed and a chunk of the mounting boss sheared off the block) Or was it just a faulty injector.(Although I cannot yet determine the injector was at fault, it seems to be fine.......but i'll know for sure tomorrow when all 8 injectors will go on an ASNU machine for testing)
Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM
jp260z
Instructor

Default Tuner Error????

Originally Posted by jp260z
Question: Is it possible for a tuner to make an error re scaling an injector table with EFI Live to cause one injector to be commanded wide open when the key is turned on and fill a cylinder with fuel causing a hydro lock? The result was that the starter was literally blown right off the side of the block. (starter destroyed and a chunk of the mounting boss sheared off the block) Or was it just a faulty injector.(Although I cannot yet determine the injector was at fault, it seems to be fine.......but i'll know for sure tomorrow when all 8 injectors will go on an ASNU machine for testing)
ttt
Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

There is no individual injector control so I would say no. The settings would affect all 8 injectors.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Unreal
There is no individual injector control so I would say no. The settings would affect all 8 injectors.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:11 PM
jp260z
Instructor

Default Thank You!

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Thanks for responding to my post. I did not think it was possible to scale the injectors individually......but was not completely sure. The suspect injector has now been carefully pressure and pulse tested and is working normally. Guess the "stuck open" issue was intermittent as that condition cannot be replicated. ( I'm sure that makes my destroyed starter and damaged block feel better.....or not!)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

If hydro lock did in fact cause the starter to be torn off the engine (which sounds strange), then you may very well have some other undiscovered engine issues. Just sayin'.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 PM
jp260z
Instructor

Default Hydro lock

Originally Posted by jim2092
If hydro lock did in fact cause the starter to be torn off the engine (which sounds strange), then you may very well have some other undiscovered engine issues. Just sayin'.
In over 40 years of owning and operating an auto repair shop this is a first for me.See the threads on this forum about this GM engineering screw up regarding the weak 1 long bolt 1 short bolt starters ripping off and breaking a chunk from the block mounting boss. (which is GM's biggest flaw......a very small, weak boss on their new GenIII aluminum block......what was good for 40+ years on their cast blocks just isnt strong enough for aluminum)Sometime after 1999 they changed the starter design to use 2 long bolts to mitigate the problem.

As strange as it may sound to some people, I'm here to inform you that it can and does happen!!When even 1 piston comes up against liquid greater in volume than the combustion chamber the piston WILL stop. The hi torque starter is powerful enough the break away when engaged with the flywheel ring gear. First the inner mount breaks (starter end piece) and then the wimpy boss on the block breaks. Guaranteed EVERY time!!!Try pouring a pint of ANY liquid in ANY cylinder, put the spark plug back in and hit the key. If will become a LOT less strange.

RE: Engine is fine and suffered no consequential damage. Fortunately the # 5 rod was tougher than the poorly designed starter and it's weak crappy mount.I have read on this forum that installing the newer design ( 2 long bolt starter) will be a more reliable setup. Ironically I read that just a few weeks ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuner Error???

Quick Reply: Tuner Error???