C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might have seized my LS7! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:21 AM
mattpennerz06
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might have seized my LS7! Please Help!

The other day I was accelerating. I went up to 240 km/h and then pushed the clutch in, went to neutral. just to glide for a bit. then i notice my speedometer was at zero and my oil pressure was at zero. didnt hear anything. no smoke.. nothing. almost seemed like it stalled. i pull on to the shoulder and try and start it and all i hear is a click. got it towed to the shop and the mechanic tried to turn the crank with a wrench and it wouldnt move at all so he said I have to rebuild it or get a new engine and for the cost of rebuilding an ls7 he said im better off just getting a new one. so now i need to come up with 10 - 13 grand for a new engine unless anyone here can help me? i read you should remove the spark plugs before trying to turn the crank to remove all compression. the mechanic didnt do that.. it has 64000 kms on it and i did drive it very hard all the time. had an oil change 4 or 5 days prior but didnt check it after those 4 or 5 days of hard driving. it seemed to be using oil and coolant before this happened as well. also just had it dyno tuned a month and a half before this inccident.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

ouch...have you checked to see if its low on oil? go ahead and pull the plugs and see if you can turn it over. ls7 are notorious for dropping valves which would prevent the engine from turning over.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:05 AM
mattpennerz06
7th Gear

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
ouch...have you checked to see if its low on oil? go ahead and pull the plugs and see if you can turn it over. ls7 are notorious for dropping valves which would prevent the engine from turning over.
How can I get an accurate reading of the oil if I can't start it. Because don't you have to run the car to normal temp, then turn off and wait 5 min then check it to get an accurate reading
Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM
mattpennerz06
7th Gear

And if it is a dropped valve. Would it be worth rebuilding or just get a brand new engine? The mechanic said by the time you take it out and take it all apart and find out what needs to be replaced. After all said and done rebuilding could cost almost as much. I said to him maybe it could be a cheap rebuild. And he says there's no such thing as cheap with a z06
Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

well...I would have to have it at least verified as to what the issue is then go from there.
you may want to post this in the zo6 section for more help.
good luck!
Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like you need to take it to a professional, you are asking questions that will not be able to be answered until you first figure out what went wrong.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM
Badmotorf1nger
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mattpennerz06
How can I get an accurate reading of the oil if I can't start it. Because don't you have to run the car to normal temp, then turn off and wait 5 min then check it to get an accurate reading
the oil level reading is not going to be that much different checking it cold vs warmed up, if you were low enough the seize the motor i doubt any oil will show on the stick anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Might have seized my LS7! Please Help!

Quick Reply: Might have seized my LS7! Please Help!