C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom tune question - Does the ECM modify

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Custom tune question - Does the ECM modify

I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. If you load a custom tune, would the ECM modify it based upon the sensors in the car. If so, why would a custom tune be used to begin with? It would seem that the ECM would always, over time, modify the fuel trims, regardless of minor changes to the car such as headers and CAI for optimum condition.

Unless the custom tune locks this capability out? I have the InTune 93 Octane loaded for about 4 months prior to my headers install with cats, I did this weekend, and am wondering whether a custom tune will round the car out, or will the ECM adjust itself. The car runs fine, with a lot more power, and no CEL yet, but I've only put about 10 miles on it so far.

Thanks, and a Happy Holiday weekend to my fellow vette lovers!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Freak3150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The computer will still adjust, but a tune is a good idea. The tune is the foundation, its always going to try to hit those numbers, so the closer you are to that, the less the computer has to adjust (depending on mods it may not be able to cope). Some things will only go one way, like timing for instance, it will drop below what the tune is calling for, due to knock retard, but it won't go up. So a tune can have raised timing that the stock tune will never see in a given situation.

Obviously this is a very simplistic explanation, and in the real world it's more complicated, but hopefully this will give you the basic idea behind a tune.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:47 PM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Freak3150,
I love your AVATAR!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Freak3150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsucraig
Freak3150,
I love your AVATAR!
Lol, thanks. I use mobile a lot so I forget it's there.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:31 AM
jsucraig
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I sent you a PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodstoc
I have a question I haven't been able to find an answer to yet. If you load a custom tune, would the ECM modify it based upon the sensors in the car. If so, why would a custom tune be used to begin with? It would seem that the ECM would always, over time, modify the fuel trims, regardless of minor changes to the car such as headers and CAI for optimum condition.

Unless the custom tune locks this capability out? I have the InTune 93 Octane loaded for about 4 months prior to my headers install with cats, I did this weekend, and am wondering whether a custom tune will round the car out, or will the ECM adjust itself. The car runs fine, with a lot more power, and no CEL yet, but I've only put about 10 miles on it so far.

Thanks, and a Happy Holiday weekend to my fellow vette lovers!
The ECM only adjusts in closed loop (limited to + or - 25%), part throttle cruising. When the ECM goes into open loop, WOT, the power enrichment values are programmed in the tune. Adding headers will most likely lean out your A/F ratio throughout the rpm range. A custom tune will benefit the entire rpm range by rescaling the MAF to bring fuel trims at closed loop to desired levels and adjust PE values for proper A/F ratio in open loop.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 07-06-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Woodstoc
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

That makes sense Mike, thank you. A limited window and scale. I'll be contacting Monte Carlo SS about a custom tune to finish this install off.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodstoc
That makes sense Mike, thank you. A limited window and scale. I'll be contacting Monte Carlo SS about a custom tune to finish this install off.
Lew will do a nice custom Diablew tune for you
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
The ECM only adjusts in closed loop (limited to + or - 25%), part throttle cruising. When the ECM goes into open loop, WOT, the power enrichment values are programmed in the tune. Adding headers will most likely lean out your A/F ratio throughout the rpm range. A custom tune will benefit the entire rpm range by rescaling the MAF to bring fuel trims at closed loop to desired levels and adjust PE values for proper A/F ratio in open loop.
Exactly.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom tune question - Does the ECM modify

Quick Reply: Custom tune question - Does the ECM modify