C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't stop running super rich

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:47 PM
1sicC6
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Car won't stop running super rich

Hoping to get some feedback from members on here that I'm having a problem with.

Car is a 2005
Airaid intake
Kooks headers and mid pipe
Magna flow rear section
Comp 230/234 cam and stock 243's.

When I would go wot with the car it would black smoke like a diesel. I bought the car with the work done to it and it had previously been tuned.
So I went to the local lsx tuner that my friends have had luck with and he tuned the car and pick up a little bit of power but it was still smoking. He said it was the valve guide that were warn down allowing the oil to seep through and that's where the smoke was coming from. So I got a set of patriot stage 3 243 heads and he put them on but didn't tune the car. Car is running rich again and still smokes. I told him about the issue and he put it on the Dyno and at 4Gk rpms the car just dumped fuel and hit around a 10.0 afr. So he tried to lean it out on the second run and it did so until the magical 4k rpm spot it and it hit that 10.0 afr. He thinks it's the injectors and someone said pcm and someone else said fuel pressure regulator. Can anyone give me some insight on this please?
Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

You should be able to monitor the fuel pressure during the run... that would either confirm or eliminate the fuel pressure regulator as a problem.

If the regulator is good then you could have a faulty injector.

Which side is he taking the AFR reading from? If you swap the sniffer from one side to the other and there is a significant difference between the two sides then that be a way to determine which side the bad injector is on if you have a bad one at all. It would at least narrow it down to 4 possible injectors. Process of elimination would isolate the bad injector.

I'm new to MAF... but could a bad MAF cause this issue? I know on the Chrysler engines I would also look at the MAP sensor as a possible cause... but GM does not use MAP so thats little help to you.

I wish i could be of more help... Please keep us posted.

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Old 06-03-2014, 02:33 AM
skyscrappin1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try

Try the fuel pressure regulator diaphram it may b sticking, or sensor, but sounds like injector. On sensors reads a lean condition, not a lean cylinder. In turn ecm compensates and richen fuel to mixture. Severity of compensation depends on # of injectors malfunctioning/clogged etc..

Originally Posted by 1sicC6
Hoping to get some feedback from members on here that I'm having a problem with.

Car is a 2005
Airaid intake
Kooks headers and mid pipe
Magna flow rear section
Comp 230/234 cam and stock 243's.

When I would go wot with the car it would black smoke like a diesel. I bought the car with the work done to it and it had previously been tuned.
So I went to the local lsx tuner that my friends have had luck with and he tuned the car and pick up a little bit of power but it was still smoking. He said it was the valve guide that were warn down allowing the oil to seep through and that's where the smoke was coming from. So I got a set of patriot stage 3 243 heads and he put them on but didn't tune the car. Car is running rich again and still smokes. I told him about the issue and he put it on the Dyno and at 4Gk rpms the car just dumped fuel and hit around a 10.0 afr. So he tried to lean it out on the second run and it did so until the magical 4k rpm spot it and it hit that 10.0 afr. He thinks it's the injectors and someone said pcm and someone else said fuel pressure regulator. Can anyone give me some insight on this please?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

The tuner didn't log fuel pressure?
Was part throttle fueling in line?

Sounds like more diagnostic is needed before anyone can guess where the actual problem lies.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2014, 04:56 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

1st Did you change your fuel injectors ?
Lt's are notorious for running rich at P/T fuel---Reason is that the new 02 bung locations are moved BACK from stock---This gives your ECM false data as it thinks it is running lean in PT so its always adding fuel ---lean because the 02's aren't heating up properly because of their further aft locations--Most common issue with LT's
A positive fuel trim for a lean condition isn't a big deal at P/T say it's +15% however at WOT the ECM will add that same % to your WOT fuel as a safety If you tuned your engine in PE for a 12.5 WOT AFR adding 15% will make your WOT fuel now a pig rich 10.65 a real mosquito killer !!!
basically whatever the fuel trims are at "JUST BEFORE GOING TO WOT" if positive wll be added to WOT as well--You need to shoot for LTFT trims to be at "0" or slightly negative-----------------If you have a negative fuel trim "JBGWOT the ECM will always lock on "0" so the ECM will never subtract fuel at WOT as a safety

Get notified of new replies

To Car won't stop running super rich

Quick Reply: Car won't stop running super rich