C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent Tuners in Houston

Old 03-21-2014, 03:27 PM
griffinmma
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decent Tuners in Houston

I have an 05 LS2 Corvette bone stock. Absolutely nothing done to it for performance. I have a relatively low budget around 1k.
I want to get a tune done are there any good tuners in Houston to do it.
LMR is a little expensive, around 1.1k for tune & CAI.
Hennessey doesn't do LS2's.

If for under one thousand mods can get me better HP/TQ increase than a tune would please feel free to let me know and share your ideas. Thank you!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:13 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Manual or automatic?

Many would not be satisfied with the results of a tune with a CAI on a manual LS2 for 1K, but many more would be if they had an automatic that would also get tuned.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:17 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Considering a good CAI will probably run you $500, not including install, that leaves $350-400 for a tune to get you to $1k.

I personally don't think you'll notice HP/TQ gains from a CAI alone. You'll notice increased responsiveness from the tune, so that part is definitely worthwhile.

I'd save up and do headers, CAI, tune all at once. That way, you will definitely notice a difference in performance. Either that or I would get just the tune if you have to have something now.

Just my opinion. I didn't do any research before I got my CAI; my tuner recommended it when i bought my headers just to prevent the car from pulling as much timing when it's hot outside. That's your main benefit.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:49 PM
griffinmma
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njedwardz
Considering a good CAI will probably run you $500, not including install, that leaves $350-400 for a tune to get you to $1k.

I personally don't think you'll notice HP/TQ gains from a CAI alone. You'll notice increased responsiveness from the tune, so that part is definitely worthwhile.

I'd save up and do headers, CAI, tune all at once. That way, you will definitely notice a difference in performance. Either that or I would get just the tune if you have to have something now.

Just my opinion. I didn't do any research before I got my CAI; my tuner recommended it when i bought my headers just to prevent the car from pulling as much timing when it's hot outside. That's your main benefit.
What CAI are you running on your car right now
Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

As a 2005 C6 owner who has been way down this very road, do not waste your money on an engine tune only without adding other parts - the more the better. Having done all this before, minimum for me with an automatic would be CAI and tranny tune along with engine. If a manual car, the minimum would be CAI and headers.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by griffinmma
What CAI are you running on your car right now
I have a Halltech MF107 on my LS3. Believe it's designed for a Z06 so I had to get a tune with it. I actually drove the car for about a week with just the headers and tune, then had the CAI put on when the tuner got it in stock (was backordered for a week). I personally didn't notice much of a difference, but I was still getting used to the torque gains from the headers.

My tuner recommended either the Halltech or a Vararam; not sure if these recommendations hold for an LS2. If you do go for one, get one that isolates the filter from the engine bay. I doubt you'll see any raw HP increases that you'll feel, but the car will probably pull less timing on hot days.

Get notified of new replies

To Decent Tuners in Houston

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Decent Tuners in Houston