C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:21 PM
swangin50
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette wont start!!!

Okay so I bought a 05 corvette from a tow lot pretty cheap after it got into a little fender bender. Basically it needed a front bumper and radiator.

The car did start and run and drive fine, but I did have issues starting it but I assumed the battery was weak or going bad.

Heres what the car does. When I press the run button I hear the throttle moving, the relays clicking on passenger floorboard, clicking around the shifter (automatic) and relays clicking by the battery...but all dash lights go out and then about 10 seconds later everything comes on like it was in ACC mode or like it was running but the motor isn't on.

I replaced starter, push button ignition switch, swapped relays, and battery.

I'm lost!! Please help me get this thing running.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 AM
swangin50
Heel & Toe

I found this video on youtube and my corvette pretty much does the same thing. But it doesn't tell me whats wrong with it.

Also my red light on the ignition switch on the bottom left stays red. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by swangin50; 03-19-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:36 AM
swangin50
Heel & Toe

Still no luck. I have checked everything. I'm starting to wonder if it's due to the security. Is there a way to reset the security? Is it in the ecu?
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Cel

The video shows a CEL (check engine light) on the dash. That means there is a code that can be read that will diagnose the problem. Before getting a code reader or taking it to the dealer, make sure the battery is good and the connections are good. If the battery has been in the car for some time buy a new one.

Process;
1. good battery and connections
2. get code reader and read code - use internet to explain that code
3. take to dealer
Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Timba
3rd Gear

Default Doesn't start

I am intermittently having the same issue. I thought it was the battery at first but a new battery just did the same thing. If anyone has any suggestions beyond going to a "stealer" and being told there is nothing wrong to the tune of $300 and up it would be greatly appreciated. Intermittent problems rarely appear while the car is sitting at the dealership. I will be checking the starter solenoid next, I have seen some references to the solenoid not liking the heat.

Last edited by Timba; 04-23-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 AM
swangin50
Heel & Toe

This is going to sound stupid but after replacing everything on my car related to starting and no luck....i had to take it to the dealership. Found out it was the abs module. I guess power runs through it before going to the ecm and wasn't along it to start. $1500 parts and labor.....smh
Old 04-25-2014, 07:05 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by swangin50
This is going to sound stupid but after replacing everything on my car related to starting and no luck....i had to take it to the dealership. Found out it was the abs module. I guess power runs through it before going to the ecm and wasn't along it to start. $1500 parts and labor.....smh
glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the fix. in the video looks like there is a message on the dic stating abs. where is this module that the dealer replaced?
Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM
swangin50
Heel & Toe

The module is on the left frame rail and has the brake lines going intonit. I guess there's a computer in there as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette wont start!!!

Quick Reply: Corvette wont start!!!