C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter/transmission tune questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 01:17 AM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Torque Converter/transmission tune questions

Hey all, I have a couple converter questions, but first:

2013 Base A6 1LT, 10k miles
Pfadt 1.75" LT's with HF cats
B&B PRT's
Halltech MF107
Lethal Racing dyno/street tune/installs/etc.
Some might consider this a long post. Sorry.

So I've had the current transmission tune on my car for a few weeks, and one very similar to it for the past few months, and I've noticed a couple things since I got the exhaust on last week. For one, the sound isn't all that pretty at under 1200 RPM. Also, I feel like even tuned, the tranny wants to be in high gears very early.

Figured I'd ask here before I drive to my tuner and make an idiot of myself...So here's what I want to do:

Adjust shift points to:
1-2: ~7-10mph
2-3: ~20-25
3-4: 35
4-5: 45-50
5-6: 60

These speeds are sort of off the top of my head; been a couple hours since I drove it so there might be a little wiggle room. Obviously I'm talking about low-throttle, low-load shifts. Don't want it shifting at 7mph at WOT haha. I guess technically I'm referring to the minimum speed I want to be in a given gear at.

AND! keep the converter locked in 3rd and above at all times (unless it needs to unlock for whatever reason). Those shift points should equate to roughly 1500 RPM locked from what I remember.

I'm not well versed in transmission tuning, and also not versed in converters or locking, etc. Would there be anything wrong with having the car tuned like this? Any weird loads or risk of blowing anything up?
I'm having a cooler installed and fluid changed this/next week.

Honestly, I prefer to have the car locked in 5th than slipping at 1000RPM in 6th. Same goes for the lower gears as well. Maybe it's not as good for going fast; like I said, I'm not well versed in TC's to know, and this car is already way too fast for anything beyond half of second gear on the street (without violently breaking the law).

I'd probably keep Drive mode the way it is now, and tune Sport in the way I just described. Just my driving style. Might have the tune changed to force the car to start in 1st instead of 2nd when using the paddles. Any Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

sounds like you should have got a manual. hope you get it sorted to your liking.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I do not like nor recommend locking up the converter in any gears other than OD gears, which would be 5th & 6th. When I tune our 6Lxx transmissions, I disable lock up in 1st-4th gear. This equates to MUCH more throttle response and a more overall enjoyable driving experience. When the converter is locking up early in lower gears it's constantly got to go in / out of lock up based on your throttle percentage.

Raising the shift points a tad and disabling lock up in 1st-4th will get you off to a good start for having a much more peppy ride around town, and won't let the car go into overdrive as early. One thing that's always bugged me about the GM programming on these Corvettes is they'll literally go into overdrive with the converter locked at 40mph if you let them. I understand it was done in an attempt to raise mpg but it's kind of silly for a performance flagship like the Corvette IMO.

OP, what software are you using to tune with?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:02 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default no problem

A competent tuner can easily give you what you want regarding shift points. Leave the converter lock up to him. Go back to Lethal for adjustment.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:12 PM
njedwardz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

My car is plenty responsive when locked in any gear, and the lock doesn't vary with my throttle percentage. This is how it was when I first bought the car, and it's how I like it.

Yeah, I probably should've gotten a stick...except for the fact that this is my daily driver and we have more traffic here than I'd like to deal with in a standard, plus other people have to drive this car on occasion and they cannot operate a clutch to save their life. The car is perfect if I'm using the paddles; sometimes I'd rather be able to just drive and have the shifting work like I'd shift.

My tuner uses HPtuners, I believe.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Converter/transmission tune questions

Quick Reply: Torque Converter/transmission tune questions