C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Governor/ Limiter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:04 PM
griffinmma
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Governor/ Limiter Removal

A governor on my C6 was placed on it when given to me. I was wondering if there is a way to remove it easy with a handheld tuner so I can get a dyne tune done, and then put it back in place just as is. It's 2005 LS2
Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

You mean dyno, right? If it was given to you I am betting you are a young fella and it is there for your protection. I have never heard of a governor or limiter on a Corvette other than for rpm's.

You are an MMA fighter too, right?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

The max speed limiting was done through the ECU, so yes, you could have the car tuned, and leave the top speed limiting factor table values in place when the ECU is re-tuned.

As for tuning on a stock LS-2 , your only going to pick up around 10rwhp, so unless you have an A6 that you want to tighten up the shift points, kind of a waste to drop $400 for a Dyno tune to be limited by the set speed limiting factors instead.

On a manual car, although you will pick up a touch of mid range punch with tune, the real gain in the 10 hp will be top rpm, and with the limiters set lower per all gears, the engine is going to clip long before you can hit these max speeds/rpms per gear to use any of the extra horsepower that was gained by the tune.

Simply, sounds like you got training wheels with the car, and until someone allows you to remove the training wheels, leave the car with a stock tune.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:23 PM
griffinmma
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
The max speed limiting was done through the ECU, so yes, you could have the car tuned, and leave the top speed limiting factor table values in place when the ECU is re-tuned.

As for tuning on a stock LS-2 , your only going to pick up around 10rwhp, so unless you have an A6 that you want to tighten up the shift points, kind of a waste to drop $400 for a Dyno tune to be limited by the set speed limiting factors instead.

On a manual car, although you will pick up a touch of mid range punch with tune, the real gain in the 10 hp will be top rpm, and with the limiters set lower per all gears, the engine is going to clip long before you can hit these max speeds/rpms per gear to use any of the extra horsepower that was gained by the tune.

Simply, sounds like you got training wheels with the car, and until someone allows you to remove the training wheels, leave the car with a stock tune.

I'm gonna get an intake so I want it to be tuned once i get the intake.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by griffinmma
I'm gonna get an intake so I want it to be tuned once i get the intake.
Again, need to see how the speed was limited on the car in the ECU!!!!

A new plenum may get you more power up higher in the RPM;s, but if the ECU was changed to limit out each gear's max speed limits, the ECU is going to kill spark, gas, or even retard timing so the car will not cleanly rev out in all the gears to red line to gain any HP increase from any new parts.

Simply, until you are allowed to pull the induced speed limiting on the car and keep it off, you are wasting your time with either a tune, or with changing out parts on the car to try to get more HP.

The LS motor is a beast in stock form, and chances are, the HP problem that you think that you have with the car currently, is not the parts on it, but the re-tune that was done to limit the amount of actual power that the motor will put to the ground/how fast the car will go.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

in short...if you are not allowed to have the "governor" removed...there is no need in modifying the engine for hp gains because you will never experience the gains with the "governor" there.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:33 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

You really do not seem to know much about real tunes. Or maybe you have just had bad experiences. If his car is an 05 itll be an A4. Your ideas seem very generic and narrowminded.

To the OP
The person working the dyno tune should be able to do everything you want.
If they cannot, there are quite a few other options out there for you.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
You really do not seem to know much about real tunes. Or maybe you have just had bad experiences. If his car is an 05 itll be an A4. Your ideas seem very generic and narrowminded.

To the OP
The person working the dyno tune should be able to do everything you want.
If they cannot, there are quite a few other options out there for you.

Depending on the tuning software, you can clip fuel/spark at a given over all speed, or per individual gear speeds as well.

Lets guess that the that car is over-all limited to 80mph top speed. So on a base model with either auto, or stick , the speed limiter is not going to allow max Red line for 2 gear or above, on either a manual or auto trans (would put the car past 80MPH). Hence, once the car hits 80, the system is going to be shutting down the spark or fuel until the car drops below 80 again.

Worst yet, even with the stock motor, there is a whole lot of TC going on to get the car to stick (not just spin the tires uncontrollably), so your really not even using even all of what even the stock motor has to offer for the first and second gears anyways (LS2 in stock tune makes about 350rwhp, the TC clips a lot of that power until you get enough down force from speed so the tire will stick, until the TC stops clipping power).

So yes, the kid can drop huge piles of money into the car/motor, have it tuned with the MPH limiting turned off to get a dyno number, but as soon as the top speed limiting is reinstated back in the ECU (so the car is not taken away from him for disabling it), he is back to square one; with just more HP that he will still will not be using since the TC will just being dialing it back for the speeds that he can drive (or/end up with the tires spinning) for the first two gears anyways.

Simply put, if he wants to burn the tire off the car, all he has to do now is hold the TC button down for five seconds, which turns the Nannies off, and he can play sit and spin with the stock HP. If he is going to add HP and ever tries to use it (other than just burning up the tires which he can now do with the stock motor HP already), it not going to happen since it would be in the speed range past what the TC/ limiter will clip the motor any ways.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:23 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

You do not need to explain any of that to me. I do it day in and day out.
And you should guess alot higher overall for ANY LS powered car, esp the manual trans setups. It really seems like you have zero idea about the tuning on an LS vehicle. You are not making a whole lot of sense.

If the car hooks, then traction control does not effect anything.
Or if you are driving and the car does a 3-2 3-1 2-1 downshift, it will be ALOT more enjoyable to drive.
Just because you have traction control on does not mean it is active the entire time.
A tune can even net you better MPG and def a better AFR from stock.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 AM
griffinmma
Instructor

And you should guess alot higher overall for ANY LS powered car, esp the manual trans setups. It really seems like you have zero idea about the tuning on an LS vehicle. You are not making a whole lot of sense.

If the car hooks, then traction control does not effect anything.
Or if you are driving and the car does a 3-2 3-1 2-1 downshift, it will be ALOT more enjoyable to drive.
Just because you have traction control on does not mean it is active the entire time.
A tune can even net you better MPG and def a better AFR from stock.

Well, just considering it's an 05 I've lost some HP over time... I would just like a faster acceleration, a little better 0-60 time (within reason) and a few more horses. It limits at 80mph. What he was saying about Traction Control is a little over my head, not really sure how that plays a role with what I want from the tune. But thank you for the help! Since it sounds you know what you're talking about, do you think the tune is a good idea, and what can i expect out of it speaking about HP/TQ & MPG ?
Old 03-19-2014, 09:05 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

We can get you everything you are looking for now, and offer you the option to get more tunes later on if you do decide to add any parts to it, or go with a newer vette or GM LS vehicle.

The TQ is the best part really. Realistically 20-30 is possible. The shifting options are the best for the automatics and are a heckuva lot of fun!

Feel free to contact us directly (email at the bottom of my signature) for more info!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

A tune will make the car more fun to drive for shooting around town. it will shift better, make a little more power, a little better MPG.

all that is only right until you hit 80 (unless you remove that ha)

but to be honest If you parents put the limit on it, they probably are not going to allow you to play with the tune since they know thats what is controlling it.

If so, you could talk them into at least bumping it up to around 95-100 so you can run 1/8th tracks
Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

You really do not seem to know much about real tunes. Your ideas seem very generic and narrowminded.
Seems a little rude coming from a vendor.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:11 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Maybe rude but also the the point. Giving erroneous information and trying to sound correct is more detrimental to a customer or person than me calling them out on it.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 AM
Dano523
Race Director

8850, Don't sweat it (what comes around, goes around).

Colorado speed is just a short drive from where I keep a house/ a Vet in Colorado (office/work in NYC), and since it comes down to them or American Intense Racing currently across town to have someone work on the vet for major items, will just have AIR to do the $13K of work (install an E-force/drive line upgrades to hold the power) that I was consider using Cospeed before all of this.

P.S. a demo version of HP software can be downloaded from here if anyone wants to know what can and cannot be tuned using that software with the E40 before you buy it.
http://files.hptuners.com/VCM%20Suite/VCM%20Suite.msi

Stock 05 Z51 nm6 stock tune to look at with HP tuner demo software.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/pe...3fu/2005_C6_Z5

Last edited by Dano523; 03-22-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Melting Slicks

8850, Don't sweat it (what comes around, goes around).

Colorado speed is just a short drive from where I keep a house/ a Vet in Colorado (office/work in NYC), and since it comes down to them or American Intense Racing currently across town to have someone work on the vet for major items, will just have AIR to do the $13K of work (install an E-force/drive line upgrades to hold the power) that I was consider using Cospeed before all of this.
There are ways to correct or disagree with another person without the rudeness. But yes, with a reply like that I would not buy from Colorado Speed. There are many vendors on the forum that treat you respectfully to buy from one that does not.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
Seems a little rude coming from a vendor.
. I don't know how they stay in business.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:12 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 8850
There are ways to correct or disagree with another person without the rudeness. But yes, with a reply like that I would not buy from Colorado Speed. There are many vendors on the forum that treat you respectfully to buy from one that does not.

there are surely better ways to state another opinion on an issue. seems like a lil chest thumping with an air of arrogance.
I'm a member of a number of car and bike forums and I've never witnessed a vendor talk down to another member like this on the forum where everyone is a potential customer...well was anyway.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:08 PM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tennblkc6

there are surely better ways to state another opinion on an issue. seems like a lil chest thumping with an air of arrogance.
I'm a member of a number of car and bike forums and I've never witnessed a vendor talk down to another member like this on the forum where everyone is a potential customer...well was anyway.
And in his reply #14 he is justifying his arrogance. Definitely no apology!

Get notified of new replies

To Governor/ Limiter Removal

Quick Reply: Governor/ Limiter Removal