C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for scan tool recomendatins

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:59 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Looking for scan tool recomendatins

I'm thinking about getting a scan tool - something more than a basic code reader but less than a Tech II. I've found the following four, all have similar features for about $200:

OTC 3111PRO Trilingual Scan Tool OBD II, CAN, ABS And Airbag

Actron CP9550 OBD-II PocketScan Plus Diagnostic Code Reader

INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles

Autel AL619 OBDII/CAN Scan Tool

The OTC and Actron look very similar and both brands are owned by Bosch so they might be the same thing.

Anyone have experience with any of these or recommendations of others to look at?
Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have one of the innova and it for sure is NOT a scan tool. It is merely a code reader with very limited scan values. and the refresh rate sucks.

The best 'scan tool" you are going to get for the price is HP Tuners. ALthough they do have the Suite which can scan AND tune, they also sell just the scanner (but I am not sure why anyone would JUST want that ha.)

As us for pricing OR if you want to upgrade to the Tuner Suite, we have them for 499 with free shipping here

It can do way more than any of those code readers and will even show most ABS codes (varies by platform).

It also gives you many more functions for scanning such a bidirectional controls.
It will read most codes on OBDII vehicles as well even though it may not show "live data". But you can use the scanner without worrying about credits and get very useful information and graphs and charts that the others cannot do.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:12 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by wjnjr
I'm thinking about getting a scan tool - something more than a basic code reader but less than a Tech II. I've found the following four, all have similar features for about $200:

OTC 3111PRO Trilingual Scan Tool OBD II, CAN, ABS And Airbag

Actron CP9550 OBD-II PocketScan Plus Diagnostic Code Reader

INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool with ABS/SRS and Live Data for OBD2 Vehicles

Autel AL619 OBDII/CAN Scan Tool

The OTC and Actron look very similar and both brands are owned by Bosch so they might be the same thing.

Anyone have experience with any of these or recommendations of others to look at?
What year corvette ? I have a 2010 GS and I am using

https://www.autoenginuity.com/

Its not a perfect match to my GM Service Manual. Some modules / sensors I need to set to other year corvette's but its great since it can read all the modules / fault codes and also read sensors, send commands to modules etc. cost is about $500+ for the unit and the enhanced GM module, plus you need a PC to use.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hey guys, thanks for the recommendations.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
benwinrich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For just a couple dollar more you can buy the Diablosport Intune from a certain huge online market place at $300. Mine is in the mail and can't wait to due the 93 octane tune. You can also buy custom tunes for this device via email and the customer service for this device is excellent.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The custom tunes are really canned tunes unless you get them from one of the diablo custom tuners on here, and still you are stuck at their mercy. The Intune cannot do nearly as much as the HPT does as far as bidirectional control as well and resetting fuel trims and graphing nearly any PID you want in any order and in any style/parameter. You can also overly, custom graph. The list goes on and on.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:24 PM
tracybarnes
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should really get a tech2. Read over this 69 page thread about the clones especially towards the end where it talks about a US source with reliable units.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=260738
Old 04-27-2014, 04:01 AM
george536
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00COA...&pi=SY200_QL40

I have that one for personal use, it scans, records and geaphs very very well. My buddy has the higher end actron and still isnt as fast.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:02 AM
george536
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For professional work i have the snapon verus but thats uhhh $10k lol
Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

I have an older nemisys and it is great. If you have advanced diagnostic skills you dont need to spend more than $1200 to get what you need. The new ones have a color screen and are quicker.
The "tools" dont always make the mechanic. Esp when you are just wasting money on gimmicks.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for scan tool recomendatins

Quick Reply: Looking for scan tool recomendatins