C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 - Long tube/FAST102

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Default LS2 - Long tube/FAST102

I have a 2007 A6 Corvette I am planning on installing a FAST102 intake (unported), stock throttle body and some 1 3/4" LT headers with cats. Should I plan on having this dyno tuned immeditately? Or should I be ok driving for a short time before I get a full tune?
Old 07-14-2012, 03:29 PM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default In short

Not to throw cold water on your desire to upgrade but these two items are both overkill unless you plan some serious additional upgrades. And how are you going to deal with California smog checks with headers?
Old 07-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jim2092
Not to throw cold water on your desire to upgrade but these two items are both overkill unless you plan some serious additional upgrades. And how are you going to deal with California smog checks with headers?
All builds start somewhere. No need to wait to have everything before I start installing.

As for smog. Likely will either be paying a fine or swapping parts back out. But such are things.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deicide, I did my modest mods before I had the car tuned without problems. How long did you want to wait? I think it would be a waste of money and time to add those items and never have it tuned. Although those mods will benefit greatly by a tune, they will be fine without.

I noticed you tried to send me a PM but my box was full. It is empty now.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 PM
Deicide
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Poppy's Vette
Deicide, I did my modest mods before I had the car tuned without problems. How long did you want to wait? I think it would be a waste of money and time to add those items and never have it tuned. Although those mods will benefit greatly by a tune, they will be fine without.

I noticed you tried to send me a PM but my box was full. It is empty now.
I plan to have them tuned rather quickly. Maybe within a week or two of finishing the install. I want to use CMS. Its a fair distance from where I live and wasn't sure if I should install and drive right to them.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM
ganador01
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a good enough tuner, you can still pass. My 06 auto with long tubes , fast 102, and vararam intake ran cleaner than stock and passes no problems. The same shop I used did a rear mount tt on a c6 and it passed emissions as well. I get California standards are tougher, but cleaner than stock is cleaner than stock.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ganador01
If you get a good enough tuner, you can still pass. My 06 auto with long tubes , fast 102, and vararam intake ran cleaner than stock and passes no problems. The same shop I used did a rear mount tt on a c6 and it passed emissions as well. I get California standards are tougher, but cleaner than stock is cleaner than stock.
First, you're absolutely correct about "being able" to pass a sniffer with the mentioned mods and a good tune. Unfortunately, in California that has nothing to do with it anymore. Especially after January 1, 2013. No more tailpipe emission checks for cars in California newer than 2000 (http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm).

Since the new (and actually the existing) requirements will rely entirely on OBDII check plus STRINGENT Visual inspection, headers will fail immediately. Once you move the CATS AT ALL, you fail.

Oh, and good luck finding a sympathetic smog station as the penalties for inspection stations goes up with the new guidelines.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:04 PM
marine&hisvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another reason to never move to cali...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by marine&hisvette
Another reason to never move to cali...
You're absolutely correct sir. Please stay right where you're at