C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno tune vs Chuck Cow mail order tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dyno tune vs Chuck Cow mail order tune?

What do you guys think about getting a custom mail tune from Chuck Cow? From what I understand, you would load in his tune, the run the car for a while, download your tune, send it back to him and he will make changes, send the tune back to you, you reload the new tune into you car. You would keep sending your old tune and he would adjust the tune until you are both happy with it.

Is this the same as the dyno tune since they are probably both looking at the same information and making the same adjustment, just Chuck Cow needs more time to send you the new tune back and forth while the dyno tune can make changes right away. Have I got this right or am I way off.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:19 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get a Dyno tune. Canned tunes can be ok but they will not be the best route regardless of how good a sales pitch you get from the vendors that sell them. A dyno tune is the best route to go as many variables come into play such as your environment, humidity, elevation, and the fact that no two cars are identical. Canned tunes are the "good enough" way to do things, not the "best" way to do things.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by breecher_7
Get a Dyno tune. Canned tunes can be ok but they will not be the best route regardless of how good a sales pitch you get from the vendors that sell them. A dyno tune is the best route to go as many variables come into play such as your environment, humidity, elevation, and the fact that no two cars are identical. Canned tunes are the "good enough" way to do things, not the "best" way to do things.
Thanks for your quick response. I am very new to tuning and don't really understand it so please excuse me if my question is dumb however from what Chuck Cow told me was that he can tell how my car is running by downloading my tune and the e-mail it to him. He will then try some changes, e-mail back the new tune. I would install the new tune, run it for a while, then download the tune again. Chuck Cow can then see if the car is running good or whether he needs to make more changes.

The reason why I am considering Chuck Cow is that he has done a lot of mail tune with Edlebrock E-force while most of the tuners in my area have not done many E-force even though they have done a lot of A&A supercharger tunings.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ill send you a PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 AM
gnmontagnino
Instructor

Originally Posted by breecher_7
This is just my 2 cents but superchargers create boost. My feeling is a hands on dyno tune is much better than a canned tune. I am sure there are a number of factors that may not be attained in a canned tune such as outside temperature/humidity. There are many tuners here on the forum WHO DO SUPERCHARGERS AND I AM SURE THEY WOULD AGREE THERE ARE MANY VARIABLES TO CONSIDER WHEN TUNING A SUPERCHARGED CAR. A dyno tune is your best bet
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 AM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Canned tunes aka Mail order tunes are a good option. The car will feel much better than stock, but a street tune or a dyno tune are designed specifically for your car. A dyno tune saves me more than an hour of time from the street tune.
Phil
www.TampaTuning.com
Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

edelbrock blower tunes are nothing special... that unit is incrediably easy to tune.... take it to a creditable shop and have it professional dyno tuned
Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Whatever you do had better include use of a wideband... If it doesn't, run far away.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
edelbrock blower tunes are nothing special... that unit is incrediably easy to tune.... take it to a creditable shop and have it professional dyno tuned
So it doesn't matter if my shop has never done an E-force but have done other superchargers because all supercharger tuning are about the same? Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DSteck
Whatever you do had better include use of a wideband... If it doesn't, run far away.
So make sure the tuner does use a wideband for the tuning?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:04 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by csun213
So it doesn't matter if my shop has never done an E-force but have done other superchargers because all supercharger tuning are about the same? Thanks
it doesnt matter, if the tuner knows the dynamics of these engines, there is no issue, he simply tunes for reading/values he is seeing..... my suggestion is to buy the complete e-force kit, load the base SCT tune for it (so you get the proper IAT Cal, because they use a ford IAT sensor in there kit), have the tuner pull that tune out with his software and edit that one... it will be a good base for him to work off of... if you are in norcal i suggest Rick @ Synergy Motorsports, he has alot of success with the Eforce unit, tell him i referred you.... real nice guy to deal with...
Old 09-05-2011, 05:03 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

So make sure the tuner does use a wideband for the tuning?
Yes

www.TampaTuning.com
Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 PM
marcolin
Intermediate

I need
Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What Chuck does IS decent for getting a better tune than just a canned mail-order tune, but unless you're hooking up a wideband to your car and then sending him that scanned data he can't do anything but take guesses at what your Air:Fuel is.

You don't necessarly need a dynotune, but you do need a tune that includes the use of a wideband whether it's street tuning, dynotuning or remote tuning.

And as mentioned before, there's no magic to these cars. Understanding the numbers on the software is all that is necessary for proper tuning.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

I do have a wide band air/fuel gauge, is this the wide band that everyone is talking about?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Yep

If you're logging air:fuel then remote tuning is fine....it'll just take longer
Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 PM
0Cunningham Motorsports
Former Vendor

I do have a wide band air/fuel gauge, is this the wide band that everyone is talking about?
any professional tuner uses a wideband....

Get notified of new replies

To Dyno tune vs Chuck Cow mail order tune?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by RyneZ06
any professional tuner uses a wideband....
Are you following what's going on in the thread?

He isn't a professional tuner and is talking about doing remote tuning.

I'm not sure what purpose your response serves...
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Just to be clear, I know NOTHING about tuning and don't plan on tuning my own car. I just have an E-force with LG headers on my 2006 A6. I do have a wide band air/fuel gauge but I am not doing anything like logging (don't even know how to do that) but just watching the pretty lights going around and making sure that the display does not go about 12 at WOT. That is the extent of my knowledge.

I am only looking at Chuck Cow tuning since he said that he has done a lot of E-force while the tuners in my area have not had much experience with e-force however do have experience with other superchargers.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Call me.....

Just to be clear, I know NOTHING about tuning and don't plan on tuning my own car. I just have an E-force with LG headers on my 2006 A6. I do have a wide band air/fuel gauge but I am not doing anything like logging (don't even know how to do that) but just watching the pretty lights going around and making sure that the display does not go about 12 at WOT. That is the extent of my knowledge.

I am only looking at Chuck Cow tuning since he said that he has done a lot of E-force while the tuners in my area have not had much experience with e-force however do have experience with other superchargers.

Hey man... Please call me. Tell me about your car what what's done to it

and I'll tell you the best way to go....

You're getting too many opinions from too many people it's gonna be really hard

to make the right decision....

914-332-0049

Thanks
Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Dyno tune vs Chuck Cow mail order tune?