C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Tune Altered 'Stamp' left behind voids warranty???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:43 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

SLP zl435
Off Topic -

I wonder why the baseline horsepower was so low on the 05 Vert?
327 seems extremely wimpy for what is thought to be a 400hp car.

That said, whenever I look for tuning on SLPOnline.com, I don't see any Predator stuff for the C5 Z06. Is there a reason they don't like tuning that one?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM
sircrashalot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMautotech
Your vehicle is not Global A and there is no 'history' that we can access at the dealership level.

That I can not answer, I guess that depends on the programming software. Though I did a test with HPT on a C6 and the ECM appeared untouched as far as the calibration and CVN's after programming back to stock.
BINGO....this is the simple answer I was seeking months ago when I posted!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:20 PM
mctheriot
Intermediate

Hi GM Tech, where in the Chicago area are you?

Mark
Old 06-12-2010, 04:34 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am out in the NW burbs in Woodstock.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:11 PM
mctheriot
Intermediate

That's certainly close enough for me - I'm in McHenry.

Maybe we could meet up the middle/end of the week and you could check a stock program?

Mark
Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 AM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

PM sent
Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Stealerships ....they will publish anything, tell you anything and try to scare you out of tunning and modifying your car. I dont know why it should matter ..since they dont fix half the things that are wrong with it under warranty anyhow....1/2 the times they break something or ruin something while they are "fixing" the other problem.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Stealerships ....they will publish anything, tell you anything and try to scare you out of tunning and modifying your car. I dont know why it should matter ..since they dont fix half the things that are wrong with it under warranty anyhow....1/2 the times they break something or ruin something while they are "fixing" the other problem.
Ouch
Old 06-15-2010, 09:27 AM
GTPprix
Racer

Originally Posted by GMautotech
The vehicles I listed above are the only ones that I am aware of that are Global A right now. Does that mean the 2010 C6 does not have the history logs? I don't know. I can scan a 2010 C6 if there is anyone that wants to swing by my dealership - PM me if interested. It might be inconclusive with a stock tune though.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that the GDS software will work with non Global A vehicles. I have not tried that yet. The GDS software is the only way to see the history logs too.
I pulled the logs off a 2010 Z06 ECM yesterday, it DOES log just a heads up to everyone
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Received 146 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by GTPprix
I pulled the logs off a 2010 Z06 ECM yesterday, it DOES log just a heads up to everyone
OK, what is it logging exactly??
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mike@DiabloSport
OK, what is it logging exactly??

As I follow the conversation, the term logging refers to the ability of a device to detect the last 10 tunes placed in the ECM of the car. I would then conclude that some verification of the authenticity of the tune as being "GM" is capable and thus they could detect a non-GM tune that had been applied to the ECM. At least that's what I glean from this thread.

Elmer
Old 06-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
As I follow the conversation, the term logging refers to the ability of a device to detect the last 10 tunes placed in the ECM of the car. I would then conclude that some verification of the authenticity of the tune as being "GM" is capable and thus they could detect a non-GM tune that had been applied to the ECM. At least that's what I glean from this thread.

Elmer
Yeah, I am aware of the CVN check, but logging makes it sound a little different...just terminology.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTPprix
Was this using GDS?
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

That locked thread is not cool.

The Predator nor Trinity will not affect the CVNs in ANY way, period, end of story.
I'm asking this purely for clarification.

Are you stating that the DiabloSport equipment will show the proper CVN after reflashing back to stock, or are you saying that even a modified calibration file done with a DiabloSport product will still display the CVNs of an OEM GM calibration for that specific OS ID?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by DSteck
I'm asking this purely for clarification.

Are you stating that the DiabloSport equipment will show the proper CVN after reflashing back to stock, or are you saying that even a modified calibration file done with a DiabloSport product will still display the CVNs of an OEM GM calibration for that specific OS ID?
Yes, the CVNs will not change, at all, no matter how many times you flash it with a current Predator or Trinity device.

The CVN history reported prior to flashing it with our tuners will not change no matter how many times the vehicle is flashed with our tuner.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Pastrulo
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Diablo Tune for about a week in my 09 A6, I had to take it to the dealer for a couple of Service Bulletins, The roof noise, the differential Grind, and the one that concerned me a bit, the birds nest inside my steering wheel for which they have to plug their computer, and nothing got detected, of course I restored my original backup before taking it there. When I picked it up today they didn't say a thing, my warranty still valid and to top it off the mechanic praised my Airaid.
Nothing to worry about, really.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Mike@DiabloSport
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Pastrulo
I had the Diablo Tune for about a week in my 09 A6, I had to take it to the dealer for a couple of Service Bulletins, The roof noise, the differential Grind, and the one that concerned me a bit, the birds nest inside my steering wheel for which they have to plug their computer, and nothing got detected, of course I restored my original backup before taking it there. When I picked it up today they didn't say a thing, my warranty still valid and to top it off the mechanic praised my Airaid.
Nothing to worry about, really.
Now that some quality, first hand feedback, thank you sir.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Tune Altered 'Stamp' left behind voids warranty???

Old 06-18-2010, 09:22 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Now that some quality, first hand feedback, thank you sir.
I might as well join in. I had a diablosport tune on my 2007 vette. Had ZERO issues with warranty work...loved the tune and product. Dealership never found it. I had a diablosport tune on my 2008 vette...again I loved the tune and product...no warranty issues...dealership never found it. Due to an excellent warranty on diablosports part...once I get my tuner back from them...i'll enjoy the tune on my 2010 grand sport.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:22 PM
06MonteSS
Supporting Vendor

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by LostAngel
I might as well join in. I had a diablosport tune on my 2007 vette. Had ZERO issues with warranty work...loved the tune and product. Dealership never found it. I had a diablosport tune on my 2008 vette...again I loved the tune and product...no warranty issues...dealership never found it. Due to an excellent warranty on diablosports part...once I get my tuner back from them...i'll enjoy the tune on my 2010 grand sport.
hey, you skipped a year... where's the 2009???

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, catch-can, ported/polished TB, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

They also probably didn't have a reason to look for it, either. Pop a piston or nuke the trans, and then post back.

From Camaro5:

CVNs are not a hard coded piece of information though. They are a four digit (well, eight digit, but the first four are zeros) checksum generated from the calibration data contained in each segment ID. The CVN itself is not something that can be edited as it's purely a generated value. It's the same concept as a hash function for computer files.

I have no doubt that the software doesn't touch the segment IDs, but I'd be willing to bet the segment CVNs for a non-stock calibration don't match up. I'd put a Benjamin on it. Reflashing the stock file will easily crap out the proper CVNs, though.

Example:

For my VIN, here are my segment IDs:

Segment 1 (Main Operating System): 12614682
CVN: 0000DB13

Segment 2 (System): 12602951
CVN: 0000960E

Segment 3 (Fuel System): 12602946
CVN: 00006782

Segment 4 (Speedometer): 12605254
CVN: 0000594E

Segment 5 (Engine Diagnostic): 12618573
CVN: 0000E595

Segment 6 (Engine Operation): 12605204
CVN: 00006B64

All of my segment IDs from before I went to an enhanced OS match up to what TIS says my VIN should have (I had the latest GM calibration for an 06 Z06). The only segment ID that doesn't match up in my enhanced OS is the Main Operating System.

Quick Reply: Stock Tune Altered 'Stamp' left behind voids warranty???