C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Technical Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:01 AM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Emissions Technical Question

I recently purchased a C6 from California that passed emissions and smog with flying colors. Forward 2 weeks and 2,800 miles later and I'm being told by a service tech at Lindsay Caddy in Virginia that my car has failed emissions testing.

OBD II Monitor Readiness Status:

O2 Sensor - Not ready
HO2 Sensor - Not ready

The car does have a speed density tune (from what I was told) and the work was done by A&A and Charlie at RPM. I'm not satisfied with the tune and posted this in another thread (which is rare given the talent between the two shops), but I'm on the east coast and they are on the west coast now. I'm sure if I were in CA still they'd be happy to take a look at it, but its hard to help from that far away. Sucks I'll have to pay someone on this coast to relook the tune.

Given that, could the SD tune have turned off the O2 sensors? I know a SD tune removes a reading from the MAF, but that wouldn't effect sensors POST combustion. Could the CATS have not reached their heat point? They did let the car sit for awhile and turned it on just to check. Would it be best if I run up and down the highway to get it up to operating temp then have them recheck?

From an emissions stand point I would argue to the Sec of Transportation in VA the tailpipe is the ultimate test of proper emissions standards and in a situation involving custom work a proper sniffer test may be required given the lack of OEM equipment. I mean in the long run - the GOV is concerned with what you are emitting not HOW you go about getting there.

Thanks for all the help and advice. Worst case scenario I'll place a call to my friend who is the Sec of Transportation in state with no emissions to see if they can help me out

Last edited by valdeztke; 06-13-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:56 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When and if you bring it in for a tune, I'll make sure it'll pass inspection.

As a side not YOU DO NOT want them to start sniffer testing around here. You'd be surprised the amount of crap a cammed motor spews out!!
Old 06-13-2009, 11:24 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
When and if you bring it in for a tune, I'll make sure it'll pass inspection.

As a side not YOU DO NOT want them to start sniffer testing around here. You'd be surprised the amount of crap a cammed motor spews out!!
Thanks Ed. The plan now is to leave here at 0530 AM Saturday morning. I'm trying my best to come up with some other "mods" I could have done, but to be honest - having this thing not buck and jump under light load would be a godsend in and of itself.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:35 AM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by valdeztke
Thanks Ed. The plan now is to leave here at 0530 AM Saturday morning. I'm trying my best to come up with some other "mods" I could have done, but to be honest - having this thing not buck and jump under light load would be a godsend in and of itself.
Looks like Lowcash is goin to schedule for this Saturday coming up, so you'll have to schedule for the following Saturday.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Sorry Ed I'm not going to be able to get away from NOVA for awhile - between chasing homes fore sale and working on defense bills - I'm stuck here through most of the upcoming weekends.

With that said, if anyone in the NOVA has a copy of HP Tuner/LS Edit that has unlocked the C6 model/year and could help me pull a scan and get it to Ed; I'd greatly appreciate it!

Ed - If I get you my scan file could we work out something remotely to solve my O2 READY status issue?

Last edited by valdeztke; 06-24-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Bump
Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

Shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can't get something worked out.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Shoot me a PM and we'll see if we can't get something worked out.
Will do Ed
Old 06-28-2009, 01:01 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by valdeztke
I recently purchased a C6 from California that passed emissions and smog with flying colors. Forward 2 weeks and 2,800 miles later and I'm being told by a service tech at Lindsay Caddy in Virginia that my car has failed emissions testing.

OBD II Monitor Readiness Status:

O2 Sensor - Not ready
HO2 Sensor - Not ready
When was the car last tuned or reflashed? I know whenever you flash the ecm the emissions readiness "once per trip" tests go from green to red. For some of the tests it takes a day or two of driving to go back to green and some others hundreds of miles. You seemed to have put on enough miles and provided you have not touched your ecm in the meantime....I guess the senors must be off.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 AM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by siffert
When was the car last tuned or reflashed? I know whenever you flash the ecm the emissions readiness "once per trip" tests go from green to red. For some of the tests it takes a day or two of driving to go back to green and some others hundreds of miles. You seemed to have put on enough miles and provided you have not touched your ecm in the meantime....I guess the senors must be off.
Pretty sure they are just shut off.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,198 Likes on 692 Posts

Did you get it solved? I have regular HPT that you can borrow to run a scan. PM if you need it.

Get notified of new replies

To Emissions Technical Question

Quick Reply: Emissions Technical Question